Looking to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if you are coming across a good amount of 20" wood a 60-70cc saw would be your ticket, the 562 is a impressive saw, theres also a 576xp for sale in the market place that looks to be in excellent condition, they are a strong runner with great AV.

The Husqvarna 562xp is a great saw for trees up to about 20" in diameter. Plenty of grunt, light weight and good on fuel.
I have 50cc, 60cc and 70cc class saws. The saw that I use 90% of the time is the 562.
I cut for firewood and the odd tree that is blown down and blocking my road.
If I could only have one saw, it would be a 562xp. All of my other saws are Stihl's, 026, 261, 038 and 460, so it's not because I'm Husqonite, the 562 is just that good.
The Jonsered 2260 is the same saw with the small bar mount and much better styling.

The Husqvarna 562xp is a great saw for trees up to about 20" in diameter. Plenty of grunt, light weight and good on fuel.
I have 50cc, 60cc and 70cc class saws. The saw that I use 90% of the time is the 562.
I cut for firewood and the odd tree that is blown down and blocking my road.
If I could only have one saw, it would be a 562xp. All of my other saws are Stihl's, 026, 261, 038 and 460, so it's not because I'm Husqonite, the 562 is just that good.
The Jonsered 2260 is the same saw with the small bar mount and much better styling.

I gotta put the 562 on my short list !!!

i used to think a 365 was the best firewood saw in the world. joined here, saw all the rave reviews on the 346, got one, and wholey damn. got rid of the 365's and now when i get out i bring the 346 and 372. the 372 sits alot as the 346 can get through most logs as long as i start from the top and make my way down the side of all the bigger logs. when i heard eveyone say that the 346 cuts, splits, and stacks wood for you i didn't believe it until i got one :cool:

If you haven't already, get that 346 ported and "wholey damn" will change to :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

i would like to have my saws ported but i just can't justify the cost. plus i do actually have ways to make a stock saw cut so close with a ported one the few seconds ain't worth the money to me. part of the fun factor of porting is doing it yourself just like hand loading ammo for your guns. it would take one hell of a deal for me to send a saw to anyone. i have been trying my hand in porting secretly. not getting into the numbers yet but i am getting good at shaping and beveling from practice grinding on junk cylinders.

You need to message Terry Landrum "WIcked Worksaws" and have him ship you a Husq or Jonsered. Husq365 Jonsered2166 or Husq 372 Jonsered 2172 are the ones I would look at. Pick one of the first two and for $50 more he will grind the transfer out and make it a 372/2172. I bet he can beat Husq prices in Canada as well.

+1 on this
and add in the choice of a modded 2260/562 or modded ???????

FarmerSid,
If it's one saw, for your wood range, I'd buy a a 60cc in the Stihl 362, Dolmar 6100 or Husky 562. If you have the coin to swing two, buy a nice used 346xp or a new Husky 550xp/Jonsered 2250, or Stihl MS 261CM and a Husky 372xp, Stihl MS441 or MS461, or a Dolmar 7901/7910. A stock or modded 60cc saw is hard to beat as an only saw. A ported 60cc saw will cut right with and sometimes past the 70cc saws. From both a durability and production standpoint however, I'd vote for a 50cc/70cc combo, as in that wood, the 50cc saw will get a lot of your cutting done with a smile on your face from the lack of fuel burn and back pain. The 70cc saw will likely be a bit more durable in the bigger stuff and can run a 28" bar if need be. I have a 9010 coming to me soon, that I can't wait to play with but the 261 and 562 are the 2 that get the most use right now, regardless of what size tree I'm cutting. When I had my 346, it did a lot of work that the 039 had done previously as it was that zippy and quickly became favorite saw of both my Father and myself.
Good luck with your decisions!

FarmerSid,
If it's one saw, for your wood range, I'd buy a a 60cc in the Stihl 362, Dolmar 6100 or Husky 562. If you have the coin to swing two, buy a nice used 346xp or a new Husky 550xp/Jonsered 2250, or Stihl MS 261CM and a Husky 372xp, Stihl MS441 or MS461, or a Dolmar 7901/7910. A stock or modded 60cc saw is hard to beat as an only saw. A ported 60cc saw will cut right with and sometimes past the 70cc saws. From both a durability and production standpoint however, I'd vote for a 50cc/70cc combo, as in that wood, the 50cc saw will get a lot of your cutting done with a smile on your face from the lack of fuel burn and back pain. The 70cc saw will likely be a bit more durable in the bigger stuff and can run a 28" bar if need be. I have a 9010 coming to me soon, that I can't wait to play with but the 261 and 562 are the 2 that get the most use right now, regardless of what size tree I'm cutting. When I had my 346, it did a lot of work that the 039 had done previously as it was that zippy and quickly became favorite saw of both my Father and myself.
Good luck with your decisions!

Good post .... My local dealer still has 2 adjustable carb M362's on the shelf which may not last long. Would you jump on a pre-computerized carb model or are you 100% ok with autotune and m-tronic? Hard call for me choosing MS 362 old school version versus the 562XP autotune with its few reliability issues out there. My 346 XP is getting long in the tooth - Not sure if I should grab an old version MS362 while they are still available or jump into the fray with computer carbs and get the 562XP.

Your thoughts? Thx

Last edited:
Are you dead set on those brands. If not try some of the other suggestions. Go to a few other dealers as most will let you try a saw before you buy it to see if you like the feel and what not.

If you get a 365 xt, get it ported. It's a different animal ported. Many will tell you that you don't want to void your warranty. Both tlandrum and Mastermind stand behind their products. If you want auto tune you can have tlandrum port a 2260 for you and have a great 20 chord saw.

Latest posts

Back