Looking to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Good post .... My local dealer still has 2 adjustable carb M362's on the shelf which may not last long. Would you jump on a pre-computerized carb model or are you 100% ok with autotune and m-tronic? Hard call for me choosing MS 362 old school version versus the 562XP autotune with its few reliability issues out there. My 346 XP is getting long in the tooth - Not sure if I should grab an old version MS362 while they are still available or jump into the fray with computer carbs and get the 562XP.

Your thoughts? Thx
Whichever makes you more comfortable. I have no problem with carb saws. I do own a 562 and have now played with a few 550xps and one MS441cm. I like the piece of mind with carbed saws, but FI is the future and the problems seem to be the exception to the rule. Dad and I have spent a lot of time together lately as he's 58 and my Grandfather died when he was 59. Wood cutting is one of our things. We were speaking today while taking a break from cutting Hedge. We agreed that we had saws for anything that we'd ever need. He then opined that he really missed "our" 346 and after getting to run a 550xp at a GTG, he like it a lot. He really liked the fact that he wouldn't have to adjust the carb and would have a better running saw for it. FWIW, Dad is VERY conservative, so this really surprised me, but he is very realistic and pragmatic. If he's won over (also factoring in minor issues with my 562xp) then I would have to agree. FI or carb? Whichever gives you the peace of mind as if you're not happy you'll ultimately never give it a fair shake.

MountainHigh

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
Whichever makes you more comfortable. I have no problem with carb saws. I do own a 562 and have now played with a few 550xps and one MS441cm. I like the piece of mind with carbed saws, but FI is the future and the problems seem to be the exception to the rule. Dad and I have spent a lot of time together lately as he's 58 and my Grandfather died when he was 59. Wood cutting is one of our things. We were speaking today while taking a break from cutting Hedge. We agreed that we had saws for anything that we'd ever need. He then opined that he really missed "our" 346 and after getting to run a 550xp at a GTG, he like it a lot. He really liked the fact that he wouldn't have to adjust the carb and would have a better running saw for it. FWIW, Dad is VERY conservative, so this really surprised me, but he is very realistic and pragmatic. If he's won over (also factoring in minor issues with my 562xp) then I would have to agree. FI or carb? Whichever gives you the peace of mind as if you're not happy you'll ultimately never give it a fair shake.

thanks for this informatiive post Bryan ..... hope you and your dad have many more happy wood cutting years together! I had heart attack at 59 and that was more than a few years back, so there is hope for us old codgers ;-)

Last edited:
7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wouldn't overlook the 555. Similar to the 560/562 but without "Revbost". So if you are not in a hurry and doing a lot of limbing that would be definately high on my list. On another site a member compared the 550 to 545 and his comment was in small wood (up to 6inch) it had an advantage, in smaller wood (up to 10-15 inch) it had a slight advantage, but the thicker it got the more equal the results were
Further I wold not exclude the Dolmar 6100 or the Echo 600p/620.
The preliminary results of comparison of the 6100 and 562, done by 166(I believe), were on the brand new 6100 ~ 1-2 sec behind.
These are all pro saws that would fit into the criteria of the 60cc range and cost an handsome sum less than the big two.

I believe that the hype initiated by some members about the AT saws leaves a little proof missing. I still have never seen a comparison of well used 261mt and 550at in 15-20inch hardwood or of the 362mt and 562at in 20-25inch. The differences are at best marginal and I'm sure extremely important to number crunchers but hardly relevant in real life cutting.

Last edited:
sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
First choice in a 60cc saw; 562xp, most impressive stock saw I've ever run, or owned. I sold my larger saw!

I use a 562xp in hard wood up to 30"+.

A 346xp in hard wood up to 20". This one sees the most use.

545, 555, 365xt are considerations and pro quality if budget is a bit tight.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
First choice in a 60cc saw; 562xp, most impressive stock saw I've ever run, or owned. I sold my larger saw!

I use a 562xp in hard wood up to 30"+.

A 346xp in hard wood up to 20". This one sees the most use.

545, 555, 365xt are considerations and pro quality if budget is a bit tight.
Or the "need" isn't so great. Or with the bills saved you can buy a bunch of chains and other gear.

Have you run a 555 side by side to your 562? I don't want to attack you but I often have the impression that a lot of contributors of this site are just jumping on the band wagon. I'm interested in your personal experience.

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
Or the "need" isn't so great. Or with the bills saved you can buy a bunch of chains and other gear.

Have you run a 555 side by side to your 562? I don't want to attack you but I often have the impression that a lot of contributors of this site are just jumping on the band wagon. I'm interested in your personal experience.

No, haven't run a 555 but I hear they run very good. I have run a 562xp for two years and feel qualified to recommend it. I was on the fence between the two and went with with the XP for the extra power. I like the all orange color of the 555 better though...The OP said don't worry about the budget so my choice would be the XP. :D

Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Yes Bryan, If I hadn't already got a 562, I probably would have gone with a 2260.

But I do like the angled handle of the Husky better!
:D

LOL. I'd like to try a 2260 out, as I like the fee of the Johnny angle handle in my hands, but I've never cut wood with one. It's funny how it can feel good while static, but not so much in use. Kind of like a lot of firearms I know of.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
20cord a year. To me that's a 70cc pro saw. My pick would be a 24 25" chain for all sawing duties whether felling limbing or bucking

Latest posts