Looking to id a bush and a tree type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushcutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me id a bush and a tree that I have in my yard. I attempted to cut the bush down in April to the stump but it grew back like wildfire. And now that it's more manageable, I'm interested to see what it might be. When I cut it down, the bush was 10-12 feet tall. The wood has a yellowish color to it and it has a unquie odor although I can't tell you what it smells like as I've never smelled it before. Now the bush stand 3 feet tall. Here's a couple of pictures. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Here's the tree.

I have 2 of these trees and I'm wondering what they are. They stand pretty tall, if I had to guess I would say 50 feet. I'm wanting to get them trimmed but I want to know what they are also. They appear to be some kind of maple but I could be wrong. I tried to take a few pics of the tree and then of the leaves on it. Again, any info is helpful.

Thanks,

Josh

How about that the shrub is not fothergilla.

Try Cotinus or smoke bush as the answer. The leaves on fothergilla are not notched at the end but pointed. The yellow wood and rapid regrowth are also indicative of the Cotinus. 3' of growth on Fothergilla impossible even in a nursery usually well under 6". Smoke bush is a more common plant from the Midwest, usually doesn't perform well further south than Virginia..too hot. The fothergilla is too tender for Wisconsin. 100% correct on the silver maple

I concede Cotinus, I thought of Smoke Tree but got in a hurry and thought that Cotinus leaves were much smoother, like a Red Bud. Many leaves pictured are emarginate and the stem is a dark almost purple color as Cotinus is described. Also the whorl like placement of the leaves said Smoke Tree. Both Fothergilla and Cotinus make for a colorful fall show with similar hardiness but probably show better fall color in zone 5 through 6.

Latest posts

Back