Looking to piece together a pole pruner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenSVT

Where did all these saws come from?!?
Reaction score
As the title states, I'm looking to "build" an economical, reliable and strong pole pruner. I don't need 15' reach, and I don't want to spend $300.

As I understand it, most(all?) Stihl straight shaft string trimmers can accept the gear head for their pole pruner attachment, as well as many other brands. I'd love everyone's thoughts on this matter.

FS90's are fairly common on the used market around here. Would this be a fine starting point? Are other brands' power heads decent enough for "casual" use?

Ditto on the FS 90 R. It's a really good pole pruner for not a lot of dough. The pull cord starters on other more expensive Stihl pole pruners (such as the 94 R) have been a problem area and most of them cost more than the older FS 90. When Stihl designed and built the FS 94 R pull cord assembly, they took a step backwards. The pawl and coil spring can come out and break much too easily on the 94 R.

That Company that copy's other peoples stuff
make a 40 dollar gear head I Am thinking about making one out of a FS85R To have one to beat up on with an old bar / chain

I Can get an old echo/stihl weedeater for 20 bucks around here and sometimes they run !

I didn't even think to look at that site for pole saw bits! Good call. I'll check that out.

I didn't even think to look at that site for pole saw bits! Good call. I'll check that out.

Also You need a solid shaft weed eater if you're going to convert
And I Wouldn't get a 4 mix engine seems like they just drop valves all the time to me

I thought I found my perfect base today. Local pawn shop had a 110 in stock, virtually brand new. It was marked $400, but the shop owner said he'd make a deal I couldn't refuse. The deal was $250. No deal.

Not when 90's are regularly on Craigslist for under $100.

1+ for fs130r 2 stroke right ?

100% of overhead trimming I Do with pole saw <less dangerous>

I Actually Have a lighter HT70 that doesn't extend They really didn't sell many of them

But if I Could find an old FS130 or big bore machine and turn that into a pole saw That would be the Thicket

1+ for fs130r 2 stroke right ?

100% of overhead trimming I Do with pole saw <less dangerous>

I Actually Have a lighter HT70 that doesn't extend They really didn't sell many of them

But if I Could find an old FS130 or big bore machine and turn that into a pole saw That would be the Thicket

A FS 200 just showed up on CL here, nice shape and cheap. But how to mod controls from handlebar setup?

A856432.jpg
A FS 200 just showed up on CL here, nice shape and cheap. But how to mod controls from handlebar setup?
Seems like the gear box will fit on a fs200 making it a trigger setup from a handlebar would be the easy bit then all you need is a bit of heat shrink to go over the tube for a grip

that's what the ht70 looks like <non extending pole saw>

Hell I Am going to do it cause its almost double the power with the FS250

If I Can find a fs250 I'll convert it to a pole saw 35-40 CC pole saw hell yes

Hutzl seems to be sold out of the gear heads. Anyone know if they are going to make another batch?

I only ask that all of you examine the pull cord starting mechanism of the newer Stihl pole trimmers. Stihl dealers are repairing the pawl parts left and right. I've had to repair half a dozen. They are not well built and fall apart primarily because Stihl changed the design from the older FS 90 that was similar to the chain saws. I would hope that Stihl fixed this problem with the newer releases.

I only ask that all of you examine the pull cord starting mechanism of the newer Stihl pole trimmers. Stihl dealers are repairing the pawl parts left and right. I've had to repair half a dozen. They are not well built and fall apart primarily because Stihl changed the design from the older FS 90 that was similar to the chain saws. I would hope that Stihl fixed this problem with the newer releases.
What models are you referring to?

What models are you referring to?
The FS 94 R in particular, but since it was made after the FS 90 R and is newer, I have a feeling there are more models out there. Once Stihl makes a design change, they often stick to it with subsequent models. Unfortunately, to view this mechanism, you have to remove the cover. I think Stihl underestimated how hard an operator can jerk that cord and break out the pawl with surprising ease.

People need to understand that jerking on the pull rope isn't the best thing ever like that stihl ms192TC you have to pull it just right cause it has an assist feature built into the starter !!!

Skip the chainsaw on a stick, nothing "pruner" about those, mostly just a good way to wear out your back and mutilate some trees.
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=149&item=828
These will wear out your arms and shoulders but at least you will be making better cuts, and a bit safer, spend the extra $150 on beer and call it a fun weekend

Latest posts

Back