looks like the ms361 will be getting a workout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
I only know about

Red and American Elm

The red splits like ash, the american is a twisted mess of fibers.
just gotta hit it hard and hit it hard and hit it hard------------- sometimes use a wedge. the best way is to cut in 12" long rounds and it splits with ease.

Last edited:

cww

ArboristSite Lurker
"You must have a different kind of elm, The stuff we got here you could beat on till freezes over and it won't split."

stihl sawing----you must live in the same part of AR as me. If elm is over 6 inches in diam "forget about it" --it grows with a spiral grain that will-- with a splitting maul will leave you "gaspin fo air" and whishing for the stamina you "usta" have! :)

stihl sawing
"You must have a different kind of elm, The stuff we got here you could beat on till freezes over and it won't split."

stihl sawing----you must live in the same part of AR as me. If elm is over 6 inches in diam "forget about it" --it grows with a spiral grain that will-- with a splitting maul will leave you "gaspin fo air" and whishing for the stamina you "usta" have! :)
Yup, Probably real close. There are a lot of guys from arkansas here. You are right on with the elm here and welcome to the site.

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
I used to split elm with a maul when I was younger, stronger, and dumber. :laugh:

Now a days I just rip it with the saw, filing a chain is a lot less strenuous than beating on a rock with a rubber mallet. :D

NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Really its not that hard to split

there are some you can't split with a splitter and some you can split with an Ax.

This year there were 3 or so rounds I could'nt get, but for the most part you just gotta get busy.

There is a lot of wood heat going to waste.

I will burn it all

Pine
Cottonwood
aspen
oak
ash
doug
manzanita
Scrub Oak
Bur Oak
Sycamore
Dogwood