LOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooonnnggg!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did she say OMG..........................................what next.

I like Patricks idea of zapping greenknecks.Repped yaPatlol

small thought on the chain...GB book showing 190 but as for 404 or 3/8 .....you better check which goes round the nose.....
usually one does ,the other does'nt.

Shrink wrap above the fire-place for that baby OR your getting
reads for an 090. :)

That would look good on a 090!

This bar has a roller tip. So now I have conflicting counts on the DLs. Which is it?

That mine is longer than yours:)

Are ya sure about that

Let me dig up some pics of my 166 wearing the GB 72" with .404" skip

attachment.php

Scott

Last edited:
My stock 076 Super pulls a 3/8 full comp rip chain around a 60" bar just fine in a mill and cuts Aussie hardwood fine up to about 48" but it really starts to struggle after that. Of course It depends on how hard the wood is.

attachment.php

Despite being held in a mill the bar droop is 0.09" at the 42" mark and I use a magnetic clamp to hold the bar horizontal while I start the cut. I have two 60" bars, a GB that is 3.5" wide and a Stihl that is nearly 4.5" wide, both have the same sag.

With bars that long, if you hold the bar horizontal and blip the throttle hard and quick, the bar droop means it can throw a 3/8 chain if it is just a little too loose. Also in hardwood the chain stretch from heating up faster than the bar is very significant and you can easily throw a chain in the first couple of minutes of cutting. Also if you do stop to adjust the chain and the bar is not warmed up be careful you can easily over tighten the chain so when the bar does warm up and elongates the chain will be way too tight and it can contribute to breaking the chain

One way I have seen to start a horizontal cut with those long bars is to come down at an angle - say 60º - and as soon as a 1" notch is established, very quickly lay the saw over while cutting and move away from the tree so you are cutting more with the outboard end. That holds the saw level while it establishes a straightish cut - if you butt the powerhead up hard against the tree with the bar hanging out in the breeze it will sag and cut crooked. It takes a lot of strength and skill - I can't do it with my 60" bars - I always end up with a crooked cut but I rarely fall trees anyway.

Last edited:
Just think of all the gas you stand to save.
After all, you don't have to drive anywhere to get neat to a log now :rockn:
You can cut a tree down in the next county without leaving home :popcorn:

Now we're talking! Any reason to go with .404 vs 3/8? I have 3/8 skip on my 50" bar.

I Prefer the .404" less stretch and deeper drivers to stay engaged into the bar rail easier. Mine is .058" also have a 60" and a 50" to go with the 72" I want to get a double ender 8 footer to run a pair of 166's :chainsaw::chainsaw:

Scott

I Prefer the .404" less stretch and deeper drivers to stay engaged into the bar rail easier. Mine is .058" also have a 60" and a 50" to go with the 72" I want to get a double ender 8 footer to run a pair of 166's :chainsaw::chainsaw:

Scott

Seems like Brad may have some catching up to do.

Looks like your lawn needs to be cut. be careful not to leave the saw on the lawn too long or you might leave a flatspot.

I used to think 20'' bars were long:Eye::Eye:

Hey Brad, Ive got a Stihl 075ave . Is there much difference in power between it and to 076 super? I wouldnt mind sometime in the future trying to find a 48" bar to put on it.(to use of course). Right now its running a 25" winsor speed tip with a .404-.063 semi chisel chain. Thanks Rick!

Now we're talking! Any reason to go with .404 vs 3/8? I have 3/8 skip on my 50" bar.

Just run a bit of either round the nose.You'll soon see which one is compatible and sits in the nose.....one size generally does'nt.Narrow nose ...hmm ..may have probs with 404.

I like like one about cutting in the next countylol:clap::)

Just run a bit of either round the nose.You'll soon see which one is compatible and sits in the nose.....one size generally does'nt.Narrow nose ...hmm ..may have probs with 404.

I like like one about cutting in the next countylol:clap::)

I run .404" in the 72" and I have 3/8" in the 50" the roller nose still looks like new on the 72" and the 50" running the 3/8" has lost its paint due to the heat I feel the .404 rides the roller nose better..............

Scott

And I though mine Husky was long.

100_4142.jpg

Heck I can't get any longer I had to back up to the wall and turn my camera sideways just to the whole thing in the picture as it was.

Mines only 60", but I figure if it's too big for a 60" bar more than likely it's a national land mark and protected by state.

Latest posts

Back