Loosing a good friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Our male Min Pin Tucker suddenly got really sick and has been diagnosed with leukemia. He only has a few weeks or so left with us, best case scenario. He sired the puppies I post pics of on occassion, and has been a loyal and dedicated friend and companion for several years. He's getting stuck down before he'll see his third birthday.

We're making his last days as comfortable as possible. He spends most of his time with my daughter in Cincinatti, but comes home often to run in the woods and go on wood cutting outings with us. He will be truely missed....Cliff
attachment.php

Very sorry to hear this. Enjoy your time while you have it, life is delicate, and too short!

Man I understand why you feel so bad. My dogs are family to me. I would do anything for them.

I have two boxers. My mother has three. She fell in love with my first one and had to have a few herself. Joe, her brindle male, died of a heart attack suddenly as he was running to her arms. Just fell over dead. It almost drove her crazy. It was a terrible day in my family. He was only 2 years old. :cry:

Cassius and Abby are my two boxers. These doga are hard to beat if you like friendly dogs that will die before they let a child be endangered. I love em and hate to think about the day they'll be gone.
Sorry about your sick friend bro.
100_0109.jpg

100_0142.jpg

100_0238.jpg

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that,I had to put my Dalmatian Rose who was 15 years and 3 months old to sleep this past July 9,it's never easy when you have do something like that,they are like a child to you. Cherish every minute you are with your dog,for that's a bond that can never be broken,even in death.

Having been there a few times myself, I feel your pain.
I have had a few truly great "best friends" in my life and it sure hurts to see them go.

Mike

man i cant even think about losing one of my pets without getting choked up. they are my 4 legged kids

I feel your pain. We had a Boston Terrier that was our "child" with 4 feet. He was diagnosed with cancer, and we were given the "life expectancy" report from the vet, too. I know how you feel. Thoughts and Prayers for you and your family.

You have the good fortune being able to shower him with love before it's his time. We all have to pass but it's much better when you know you're loved.

I'm sorry you and your family have to face this. 3 years old is way too young.

We lost two last year... I cried like a 12-year-old girl. Dogs can be your friend in a way no human can. Condolences, Cliff.

Thanks guys, great to hear about your experiences.

We've got Tucker home and he's shown some improvment. Way to early to tell if the cancer will go into remission, but his blood work looked better, and he ate a few pieces of white meat chicken last night, then a few more this morning.

Whatever time he has left, we're going to make it the best for him......Cliff
attachment.php

I was going to say, it isn't over 'till the fat lady sings. We had a rat terrier (what a cool dog she was!) that started having little seizures and had some behavioral changes (picky eater to a ravenous one, very strange)... when I took her in, they gave a "probably brain cancer" diagnosis, but she lived for another 3 years and died essentially of old age.

I have to admit, I have not always been happy with the medical attention my pooches have gotten over the thirty years i have had dogs... leukemia may be easily diagnosable, so maybe it doesn't apply here, but I feel like my vets have enganged in open speculation much or most of the time... it could be that I'm just a smarty pants, but I've walked out of the vet numerous times thinking I got fed a load of crap and the dog was no healthier for it. It felt pretty lousy paying for that sort of thing. Mind you, I don't think it's necessarily the doctor's fault, but the whole system is now built to mimic the health care that humans get, but i do feel there are fundamental differences (like, the patient can't talk and, unless you're going to spend $2000 on imaging, you're not going to get a diagnosis) that make that approach fairly farcical.

Bottom line...I do not think you should not leave stones unturned in trying to turn your pooch around. Also, it sounds sort of fruity, but see if you can get your dog to forget it's sick.

Check this link out, especially the end.

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/canine-leukemia.html

Last edited:
I was going to say, it isn't over 'till the fat lady sings. We had a rat terrier (what a cool dog she was!) that started having little seizures and had some behavioral changes (picky eater to a ravenous one, very strange)... when I took her in, they gave a "probably brain cancer" diagnosis, but she lived for another 3 years and died essentially of old age.

I have to admit, I have not always been happy with the medical attention my pooches have gotten over the thirty years i have had dogs... leukemia may be easily diagnosable, so maybe it doesn't apply here, but I feel like my vets have enganged in open speculation much or most of the time... it could be that I'm just a smarty pants, but I've walked out of the vet numerous times thinking I got fed a load of crap and the dog was no healthier for it. It felt pretty lousy paying for that sort of thing. Mind you, I don't think it's necessarily the doctor's fault, but the whole system is now built to mimic the health care that humans get, but i do feel there are fundamental differences (like, the patient can't talk and, unless you're going to spend $2000 on imaging, you're not going to get a diagnosis) that make that approach fairly farcical.
Bottom line...I do not think you should not leave stones unturned in trying to turn your pooch around. Also, it sounds sort of fruity, but see if you can get your dog to forget it's sick.

Check this link out, especially the end.

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/canine-leukemia.html

I think I see eye to eye with you on this.

Seems alot of vets around here purely speculate on some things.

I don't want to go into it in any detail here, but I will just say that I agree with you 100% and leave it at that.

Thanks guys, great to hear about your experiences.

We've got Tucker home and he's shown some improvment. Way to early to tell if the cancer will go into remission, but his blood work looked better, and he ate a few pieces of white meat chicken last night, then a few more this morning.

Whatever time he has left, we're going to make it the best for him......Cliff
attachment.php

Time is the greatest gift you can give away. Sorry to hear he is ill.

I will have to admit I'm not 100 percent comfortable with the diagnosis, as I just don't believe much in a coincidence.

One thing that bothers me a bit, is that Tucker got into the garbage last Sunday, and almost immediately started getting sick. I'm still wondering if he didn't have a severe reaction to something in the gargage (allergy/poison) that started all of this.

The end result shows his white blood cell count elevated, and lymphocites as well. His red cell count is depleted considerably. Certainly this is a leukemia diagnosis, as far as the medical profession is concerned.

Certainly I'm no medical expert when it comes to canines, so I have to follow the lead of the Vet on this one.

I even got a second opinion from another Vet, who confirmed the finding(s).

In any case, he's doing much better today, so if they have given him some additional time with us, we are certainly going to make the best of it!.....Cliff

Back