Loosing a good friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to admit I'm not 100 percent comfortable with the diagnosis, as I just don't believe much in a coincidence.

One thing that bothers me a bit, is that Tucker got into the garbage last Sunday, and almost immediately started getting sick. I'm still wondering if he didn't have a severe reaction to something in the gargage (allergy/poison) that started all of this.

The end result shows his white blood cell count elevated, and lymphocites as well. His red cell count is depleted considerably. Certainly this is a leukemia diagnosis, as far as the medical profession is concerned.

Certainly I'm no medical expert when it comes to canines, so I have to follow the lead of the Vet on this one.

I even got a second opinion from another Vet, who confirmed the finding(s).

In any case, he's doing much better today, so if they have given him some additional time with us, we are certainly going to make the best of it!.....Cliff

MD that's me. That is the typical route. Leukämia is an abnormal production of white blood cells that leads to an displacement of the red cell lines in the bone marrow. Typically there is an enlargement of lymph nodes in the further stages of the illness. There are further tests&differentiation in the human field that I will not get into. I am no Vet so maybe there are differences.

It's not too often I show up late on a "dog thread" but when I first saw the title I thought it was another "the new guy on the crew ran my favorite saw over and now my vagina's chafed thread". As a dog lover I feel your pain and I'm sorry your boy's sick. That being said, whenever I hear of someones dog being ill or dieing/died, I try to offer this perpective; As human beings we gauge our success in life by many different things. These are as varied as the individuals we are. Some people want to have raised a family or built a big house, gained financial freedom, sailed around the world or wrote a hit song. All these things we try to do to feel content. A dog on the other hand has only one motivation and needs only one thing to feel content. The only thing a dog wants is to belong to a successful pack. You as the alpha in your pack have given that to him. When he goes (and I'm sorry for you when that happens) he wil have passed on as happy and content as any of us could hope to.

It's not too often I show up late on a "dog thread" but when I first saw the title I thought it was another "the new guy on the crew ran my favorite saw over and now my vagina's chafed thread". As a dog lover I feel your pain and I'm sorry your boy's sick. That being said, whenever I hear of someones dog being ill or dieing/died, I try to offer this perpective; As human beings we gauge our success in life by many different things. These are as varied as the individuals we are. Some people want to have raised a family or built a big house, gained financial freedom, sailed around the world or wrote a hit song. All these things we try to do to feel content. A dog on the other hand has only one motivation and needs only one thing to feel content. The only thing a dog wants is to belong to a successful pack. You as the alpha in your pack have given that to him. When he goes (and I'm sorry for you when that happens) he wil have passed on as happy and content as any of us could hope to.
I couldn't agree with this more and I will continue to hope for a happy ending for you and your buddy.
Stew and Ajo...

I will have to admit I'm not 100 percent comfortable with the diagnosis, as I just don't believe much in a coincidence.

One thing that bothers me a bit, is that Tucker got into the garbage last Sunday, and almost immediately started getting sick. I'm still wondering if he didn't have a severe reaction to something in the gargage (allergy/poison) that started all of this.

The end result shows his white blood cell count elevated, and lymphocites as well. His red cell count is depleted considerably. Certainly this is a leukemia diagnosis, as far as the medical profession is concerned.

Certainly I'm no medical expert when it comes to canines, so I have to follow the lead of the Vet on this one.

I even got a second opinion from another Vet, who confirmed the finding(s).

In any case, he's doing much better today, so if they have given him some additional time with us, we are certainly going to make the best of it!.....Cliff

So you're saying that your dog was happy and energetic, got into the garbage, got sick, you took it to the vet and they told you it had leukemia? I would never say it isn't so, but I sure see why you're skeptical.

I guess there's nothing to do but see how it goes. What is the treatment they are prescribing?

Last edited:
I certainly hope the vet's are wrong! I have 4 pooches myself, one is a new puppy to try and replace the chow I lost last winter. Never easy, I cried like a baby loosing my chow she was ever so protecting of my little girls.
Think the best sounds like she might be recovering.

Could it be anti-freeze? Dogs will give it a try, it will make them sick, it will alter blood chemistry. A poisoned rat or mouse will make a dog very punk.

We are hoping for a full recovery here.

Thanks to everyone for all of your support, it is greatly appreciated by all of us here.

Well, I'm sure not going to say that two different Vet's have miss-diagnosed Tucker. I will say that nothing in this World is cast in stone as far as death and disease are concerned.

There are a LOT of things we still don't know when it comes to these things. Whether or not it was environmental, or heriditary, or just plain bad luck, our boy is really sick, and his blood test results indicate leukemia.

It is a fatal disease, 100 percent of the time. What they do not know is how long it will take?

The range is 3 days to 6 months, with very few dogs living longer than that showing the same exact symptoms and blood work results that he has.

We gave him the best shot at this deal that we could, regardless of the cost(s) involved, we're going to give him as long as possible.

They gave us absolutely no guarentee whatsoever that he would even show an improvement after the chemo treatments, and they didn't try to encourage us in any way that his life would be extended, just that it could be.

I'm not a rich man when it comes to money in the bank, but rich in just about every other area of my life, health, marraige, fantastic family, friends, and we greatly enjoy each and every day that we wake up above ground to the fullest extent possible! The money I spend on Tucker bothers me not in the least, he's a great friend, and I would hope that if the situation were reversed, he'd do the same for me!......Cliff

Thanks to everyone for all of your support, it is greatly appreciated by all of us here.

Well, I'm sure not going to say that two different Vet's have miss-diagnosed Tucker. I will say that nothing in this World is cast in stone as far as death and disease are concerned.

There are a LOT of things we still don't know when it comes to these things. Whether or not it was environmental, or heriditary, or just plain bad luck, our boy is really sick, and his blood test results indicate leukemia.

It is a fatal disease, 100 percent of the time. What they do not know is how long it will take?

The range is 3 days to 6 months, with very few dogs living longer than that showing the same exact symptoms and blood work results that he has.

We gave him the best shot at this deal that we could, regardless of the cost(s) involved, we're going to give him as long as possible.

They gave us absolutely no guarentee whatsoever that he would even show an improvement after the chemo treatments, and they didn't try to encourage us in any way that his life would be extended, just that it could be.

I'm not a rich man when it comes to money in the bank, but rich in just about every other area of my life, health, marraige, fantastic family, friends, and we greatly enjoy each and every day that we wake up above ground to the fullest extent possible! The money I spend on Tucker bothers me not in the least, he's a great friend, and I would hope that if the situation were reversed, he'd do the same for me!......Cliff

And he surely would. Our dogs care about us over anything else there is. It's the only thing they live for. All you have to do is love em, and they will stand with you as long as they breathe.

My white boxer Abby broke her leg in two when she was a pup. ( you can see the scars on her leg in the pics) Cost me 2200 bucks to have it fixed and I never even give it a second thought. There were people who "did'nt understand" who said "how can you pay that out on a dog" and "just have her put down". These kind of people have thier own way of thinking and right or wrong, it's not the same way I think. When I look at that dogs face, I see that she would kill or die for me, and I would give whatever I had to to keep her or Cassius in good health.

I hope everything works out for the best for you my friend and that I understand your wanting to do everything you can for your buddy.

There were people who "did'nt understand" who said "how can you pay that out on a dog" and "just have her put down".

I never get people who think like that. A dog is family, end of. Part of your pack. Hope it turns out to be something else than leukemia, and even if it doesn't, I'm sure you'll give him the best you can while he's still with you.

My thoughts and hopes will be with you and Tucker.

"When I look at that dogs face, I see that she would kill or die for me."

I have no doubt she would!

My dogs have passed the test a couple of times. They are fearless in the face of danger. They are on guard 24-7, you can't get within 100yds of my house without me knowing about it. We have a 97lb male Golden Retriever (Joe Joe) that stands constant guard here. He's a pretty nice dog during the day, but I pitty the fool who ventures up here late at night without calling first!

Tucker just left with Stephanie to go back to Cincinatti. He has one more treatment on Wednesday, then he's coming back here for whatever time he has left. He had a great day today, good appetite and in good spirits. He took two walks with us and had good energy. I attached a pic of him with my Grandaughter Bailey.....Cliff
attachment.php

Good Dog

Cliff I'm sorry to hear of Tuckers problems. I've had quite a few dogs over the years and it's never easy to let them go. I hope he will continue to do well. The last time I was there was with my old friend Zippy (Australian Shepperd). He was 15 and then got lyme disease and that took him out. He still had good attitude right to the end but he was finally unable to get himself up to go out and was having accidents indoors and that was harder on him was than me. He just hated to do something he knew was wrong. Anyway when the time came I had the vet come to the house and put him down on the front lawn where he liked to lay and keep an eye on everything. He just went to sleep. I don't mean to sound morbid but he hated the vets office and this way he didn't have to go through any of that. One thing I learned though was that I wasn't going to name another dog anything like Zippy. It was to painful to call him that when he couldn't hardly get up. It seemed so right when he was young and full of it but was so wrong at the end. Good luck with Tucker I hope for both your sakes it was just bad garbage.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back