lost flywheel bearing on my 036/need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
My crank bearing (fly wheel side) went out on my 036 today. The saw is a 95 has/had good compression. I am gona try replacing both Bearings all the seals and the rings. I Have not gotten the flywheel off yeat, I'm gona try and find a puller tomorow unless someone can tell me another way to get it off. Also wondering if I need to mark where the flywheel sits at top dead center or some other position to avoid messing up the timing?

How hard is it to replace these bearings? Sould I have a shop put them on my crank? Can someone send me the shop manuel for this saw? And any other advice is much appriciated, I have worked on a lot of engines, tractors, clutches and everything else but this is vergin teritory for me. Thanks for any help.

Jacob J.
Ray- there's a key and keyway on the crank and a matching keyway cut into the flywheel. Don't worry about the timing, just make sure you don't lose the key, but if you do, no biggie. They're like $1.45. You'll need the puller for the flywheel. There are ways to get the flywheel off without the puller but I wouldn't recommend any of them to an unexperienced saw wrench.

Replacing main bearings can be tricky. You'll need a way to pull or push them out of the case if they don't come out with the crank. If they do come out with the crank then you'll need a way to pull them off.

You may want to strip the saw down to the case and have a shop do the mains, case gasket, and seals that way you'll know it's down right and the crank will be centered. Then build the rest of the saw back up yourself.

Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks for the info, I think I will go the shop route you are talking about. Im also wondering If I could have done somthing to prevent this failure, The saw is old but has never had any other problems.

Jacob J.
Well at that age you've probably gotten the service life out of those bearings. That's just the way it is with an internal combustion engine. Sure, you can run expensive full-synthetic oils mixed richer and maybe extend bearing life a little, but you end up paying either way. Money for repairs and service or money for expensive oils and high octane gas that nets you a little longer run time.

At least now you get to educate yourself about rebuilding saws, and that's priceless knowledge!

Griffbm3

Griffbm3

ArboristSite Guru
Ray, PM me I'll send the puller

Hi Ray,
Farmer and part-time wood business, happy to loan out a puller. I'll send it in the morning, you should have it Thursday. PM me your address if you are interested. It is the Stihl puller for the flywheel.

Jason

And now I just read that you are going to the shop... Nonetheless, the offer stands.

Last edited:
RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
Ray Pm me your email address and I will send you and IPL and shop Manual

I'm doing several saws this winter if you cant find someone to do it,,,, send it to me and I will do your bearings and seals,,,, you pay the shipping!!!!!

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
Ray Pm me your email address and I will send you and IPL and shop Manual

I'm doing several saws this winter if you cant find someone to do it,,,, send it to me and I will do your bearings and seals,,,, you pay the shipping!!!!!
I have about a dozen or so 026 crankcases that need new flywheel side bearings....just send me your address and I"ll get them right out to you. ;)

Btw: Do pm me your address so I can get that manual and IPL out to you.

RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
I have about a dozen or so 026 crankcases that need new flywheel side bearings....just send me your address and I"ll get them right out to you. ;)

Btw: Do pm me your address so I can get that manual and IPL out to you.

Have you bumped yer head brad????????? :monkey: :buttkick:

LOL,,,,,,,I told Ray I would do 1 set for him if he cant figure out how!!!:dizzy:

I have 2 of my 066's to finish, 3 08's for rental saws, My 056 MagII,,, and 084 on the way that will need a piston kit,,,,, and one to do for Jared AggieWoodbutcher,,, and one for Kevin flht01,,,

But other than that,,,,, not much happening :monkey:

Last edited:
bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
Have you bumped yer head brad????????? :monkey: :buttkick:

LOL,,,,,,,I told Ray I would do 1 set for him if he cant figure out how!!!:dizzy:

I have 2 of my 066's to finish, 3 08's for rental saws, My 056 MagII,,, and 084 on the way that will need a piston kit,,,,, and one to do for Jared AggieWoodbutcher,,, and one for Kevin flht01,,,

But other than that,,,,, not much happening :monkey:
LOL

08's for rental saws? Who still rents those or are you talking ts350's?

Send me your address and I promise I won't send you anything more than the envelope with that manual and IPL you were wanting ;).

Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks Guys, I sent the PM's. Everyones post was very helpfull and your offers are unbeliveable. I have a great bunch of friends where I live but ya'll take helping a friend to a whole new level. Thanks again, Ray

ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep

ArboristSite Operative
RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
LOL

08's for rental saws? Who still rents those or are you talking ts350's?

Send me your address and I promise I won't send you anything more than the envelope with that manual and IPL you were wanting ;).

oh yeah for my Husky 266XP's,,, I forgot about that!!!!!:monkey:

Who rents 08S's?????

The 43 year old Stihl Dealership where I help out in my spare time,,,,But Lately,,, has'nt been much of that:buttkick:

The are pretty much Bullet proof,,,, a little heavy but extremely durable,, well OK alot heavy!!
I can't say what my Pops used to call em... _ _ _ _ _ _ Proof,,,,, Id get in trouble,,,
They used them in the oilfield cutting Oak timbers and board roads for oil, gas drilling and casing crew rigs back in the day and moon light cutting Cypress timber,,, I've run them more than I like to remember,,,,,

Thanks for the REP RAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pushed me over the Three Nova Plateau!!!!!! thanks bud!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts