Lost my Mind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burvol

Bullbuck
Reaction score
moto_0345.jpg

Put a good old 66 that has tons of life in it back to work. I switched back to Stihl. I know, crazy. I still love a hot ported 390, they are hot..but I have a hard time bucking with them all of a sudden. It was like a light switch got turned on one day and they no longer feel good in my hands. All my fellow cutters and buds think I'm nuts. My Dad thinks if I like the feel and have belief in the 66 then roll with it...He was laughing but all in fun, we are tight. The 66 feels good, can line cuts up easier and make the big runs easy. The 460 is still a joke, and the 372 is way too small for any real man to run in proffesional timber falling of any size. Go back and look at all my old posts, I have never bashed a 66:) I still had one ;)

GOOD AFTERNOON BOB!!! GARY!!! CODY!!! STIHL HEADS

Last edited:
So tell us about this 66 mang! What did ya do to it?

I reserve my snobbery for mah beer and vehicles. . . I like any chainsaw that runs good -- so I have no favorites.

I like the 66, I like my 372. . . I like the old Mac 10-10's.

Hell, you put a set of titties on a saw, I'd die and go to heaven!! Hahahaha

Just punched the dual port, that's all. It's a stocker with not much time on it. Just been in the cobwebs. I have a lot of learning to do on how to port one. I oponed up the muff and saw a square hole :dizzy: Way different than a Husky. I use to run the back cover off my 460 to keep chips out of the air filter. Is this OK? The nut has a flange that appears to be just for this, removing the back cover in no rain/dust. It certainly cuts down on the chips.

I kinda got this saw back from someone who used it a few times and was letting it rot. It's good in my hands.

moto_0345.jpg

Put a good old 66 that has tons of life in it back to work. I switched back to Stihl. I know, crazy. I still love a hot ported 390, they are hot..but I have a hard time bucking with them all of a sudden. It was like a light switch got turned on one day and they no longer feel good in my hands. All my fellow cutters and buds think I'm nuts. My Dad thinks if I like the feel and have belief in the 66 then roll with it...He was laughing but all in fun, we are tight. The 66 feels good, can line cuts up easier and make the big runs easy. The 460 is still a joke, and the 372 is way too small for any real man to run in proffesional timber falling of any size. Go back and look at all my old posts, I have never bashed a 66:) I still had one ;)

GOOD AFTERNOON BOB!!! GARY!!! CODY!!! STIHL HEADS

I agree with your dad. If you like the way it feels, and it's a good runner...........Get to cuttin'.
I also agree with metals406. A saw with tit's..........what more could a man ask for. :hmm3grin2orange:

Of course you should take my advice with a grain of salt.
I'm one of those guy's that dosen't care what it say's across the tailgate of my pickup either. :cheers:

Andy

Super cutter (Steve) told me a while ago the 390 was not for me. Blew one up, smashed one, about lost a whole finger with one. Kinda believe him now. Not that I'm superstitious, but I am a baseball nut LOL .

Just punched the dual port, that's all. It's a stocker with not much time on it. Just been in the cobwebs. I have a lot of learning to do on how to port one. I oponed up the muff and saw a square hole :dizzy: Way different than a Husky. I use to run the back cover off my 460 to keep chips out of the air filter. Is this OK? The nut has a flange that appears to be just for this, removing the back cover in no rain/dust. It certainly cuts down on the chips.

I kinda got this saw back from someone who used it a few times and was letting it rot. It's good in my hands.

If you're keeping chips off the filter, that has to be good. You get infiltration of fines through the intake, and over time it's just like sandpaper on the jug and slug.

I ported a 66 for a guy here, and it's a ripper. He had a 32" bar, full skip, and it didn't even know it was there. He could run a 48" bar on there and that saw would be right at home.

Ron Martin (old school logger/faller) up here had me look at a 66 of his. Fines had eaten the coating off the jug on the intake side, but that saw didn't owe him a thing.

The first year he had it, he cut 1,000 loads with it. . . Then he ran it for 8 more years as a backup and landing saw. That's a lot of use; it was always stock too, no mods at all.

Last edited:
I agree with your dad. If you like the way it feels, and it's a good runner...........Get to cuttin'.
I also agree with metals406. A saw with tit's..........what more could a man ask for. :hmm3grin2orange:

Of course you should take my advice with a grain of salt.
I'm one of those guy's that dosen't care what it say's across the tailgate of my pickup either. :cheers:

Andy

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Not a logger, but a Stihl head none the less. :)

Just curious, what didnt you like about the 460? Im assuming it was stock?

Ya, it was stock. I think they are ok ported, but a little underpowered for the hype, that's all. I hear Slinger' builds a good one though.

Ya, it was stock. I think they are ok ported, but a little underpowered for the hype, that's all. I hear Slinger' builds a good one though.

A ported 460 is tough to beat IMHO. Still, their no 066.

BTW, that sure is a good looking ol' flat top 066 you got there. I like them flat tops. :clap: Is that one pre-decomp?

A ported 460 is tough to beat IMHO. Still, their no 066.

BTW, that sure is a good looking ol' flat top 066 you got there. I like them flat tops. :clap: Is that one pre-decomp?

It was bought new in 1995. It has a copyright sticker from 1994. It has a decomp button. It runs great.

Your right, I never noticed the tops are rounded now. When did that change? What does this saw do better or worse than a new one? Or is there hardly a difference?

Your right, a ported 460 is prolly a great saw, I am just use to the bigger saws .

Kids these days, you talk to them, you show them the films, you give them the literature and they run right out, do the wrong thing and have to use an ointment for life. You can't say you weren't warned.

Kids these days, you talk to them, you show them the films, you give them the literature and they run right out, do the wrong thing and have to use an ointment for life. You can't say you weren't warned.

Smart azzed and spot on as usual! Love it

Boke it down in man-whore language lol

Most cutters have a particular way they handle a saw, just like people have a particular way they hold a pencil while writing. So when a guy gets used to a certain design of saw and then switches, it can mess up his attack angle. It took me a while to get used to the spring mounts on 372s and 385s after having had ran Stihls for years.

It was bought new in 1995. It has a copyright sticker from 1994. It has a decomp button. It runs great.

Your right, I never noticed the tops are rounded now. When did that change? What does this saw do better or worse than a new one? Or is there hardly a difference?

As for what year things changed, and which version is the best, you would have to ask somebody more knowledgeable than I, but there were several changes throughout the years. The earliest had no decomp, smaller oil tank capacity, smaller crank stubs and an aluminum flywheel. JJ would know all the changes and when they took place.

Dont listen to them ol'timers like Randy, them ol' yellow saws shook their brains out long ago....:)

As for what year things changed, and which version is the best, you would have to ask somebody more knowledgeable than I, but there were several changes throughout the years. The earliest had no decomp, smaller oil tank capacity, smaller crank stubs and an aluminum flywheel. JJ would know all the changes and when they took place.

Dont listen to them ol'timers like Randy, them ol' yellow saws shook their brains out long ago....:)

Or maybe shook 'em out and then shook 'em back in?

Back