Lucky Me - 026 fell in my lap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Working as a troubleman for one of the power companies here in NJ, I spend all of my time in the field. Over the weekend, I was out in some of the wealthier farm country chasing an outage. After restoring service and starting to clean up my gear an elderly gentleman from one of the affected farms wandered up to chat and thank me for my speedy power restoration. We starting chatting and ended up talking about chainsaws. He said he had an old Stihl that he didn't use anymore (because of his age) and that it was so hard to crank and wanted to know if I would be interested in it. Not hard to crank - just great compression. wouldn't budge on the drop test.

I figured it for another project or beat-up homeowner saw and when he led me into the barn - there sits a clean 026. I asked if I could pull the muffler and the P/C look almost new. WELL I'm real interested now. He asked me if I would be willing to pay him $100 for it 'cause its probably 15 years old. I told him it was worth more than that and had to force 125.00 on him - I still felt like a thief. He wouldn't take anymore.

Anyways its clean as a whistle and runs like a dream - I'm thrilled to death.

View attachment 76078

View attachment 76079

View attachment 76080

Anyways, it currently has an 18" bar with .325/.063(safety chain) on it and
was wondering whether to pick up a 16" bar and some RSC or just run the 18" with some new RSC? Mind you, I'm cutting eastern hardwood.

Also the serial # is 236842238, can anyone tell how old this saw is?

Thanks for your input?

I guess I do have some good luck after all. :givebeer:

Last edited:
good find

i would see how it pulls the 18" before you change anything ,you can always get the 16"

Congrats on the great find. Gotta love falling into a sweet deal like that. You'll love the saw. I know I love mine.

Great find !! Run the 18 and stick with the .325 in hardwoods with that saw.I've run em' both and the .325 is better.

I've got a 20" bar on my 026, and I like it alright (I have a loop of full skip for big wood situations). If I ever wear out the bar, I might see what it feels like with an 18" on it.

I've got a 20" bar on my 026, and I like it alright (I have a loop of full skip for big wood situations). If I ever wear out the bar, I might see what it feels like with an 18" on it.

Try a 16" with RS, you'll really like it.

Latest posts

Back