Machine to load trucks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchhauler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Havent been online in a long time, had to move from Pa. to Va. in the fall for work.. My work is seasonal done the same thing for years so I can log almost full time in the winter and plug away on weekends in the summer.. In Pa. tri-axle log trucks all have loaders on them, they can load themselves and go. If a trailer is involved they load the trailer load themselves and go, but down here because of the axle laws in Va. and Wva. no loaders on trucks, so a little guy like me almost has to buy a machine to load trucks with.. Been watchin for an old wheel loader just small enough I could haul on a trailer with a dually, dont want to have to buy a five ton truck just to pull a machine.. Thought of finding a five ton cab-n chassis and mount an old grapple loader on it to load logs with.. Found a nice older backhoe, but to heavy would need a lowboy.. I think I'll end up going the route of buying an older tractor with a loader and a flat trailer to haul it.. Even with a wheel loader I'd have to build a ramp to reach, so a good older tractor with loader might be what I'll end up with.. What do other small operations do down here to load trucks?

find a smaller terek telehandler, you can easily pull them with a gooseneck trailer and dually. they are pretty light we used to own one before we bought the big lull. smaller ones will go up to about 20 ft have 4wd and are 4 wheel steer. If you dont understand what im saying alot of people call them telescopic forklifts

i don't know about va., but here in wv there are triaxle log trucks everywhere with loaders on them.

hey thanks for the info. I looked at a lift like you mentioned, but it was an older one, lowboy material for sure.. A lift small enough to tow would be the ticket.. I'm only an hour from the Wv. line and from what I have seen Wv. seemed to be the same no loaders on trucks, but it might be juast because this close to the Va. line when they're in both states alot they dont have loaders.. I'll have to look for some haulers and see if I can find anyone with loaders.. thanks...

Definitely lots of self loaders in WV. But, try giving the prospective mills you want to market to a call and ask them.

Yep, I imagine alot of the mills here have a truck with a loader on it to load other trucks.. If I'm cuttin hardwood saw logs I bid the landings out.. Usually have three or four buyers bid on a landing.. However on a paperwood job is where the problem lies if cant find a hauler with a loader.. Just dread the idea of havin to buy a machine just to load with..

you could also look into them little bobcat excavators (mini excavator) with a hydraulic thumb, might work we use one for loading building debris onto the dump trucks not sure how big a log it will lift. We pull this around on a triple axle car trailer and a 99 f350 v10 single rear wheels, just make sure you have trailer brakes

i would suggest getting a knuckle boom loader mounted on a smaller truck chassis. a machine like a forklift or bobcat even an articulated loader will tear up a landing in a hurry. (as if the skidder doesnt do that well enough)

you will also be suprised how many uses you can find for a grapple loader once you own one.

Lots of outfits back where I was from had loaders mounted onto really old trucks that were just barely capable of getting from landing to landing. But the loaders were in good shape and that was all that mattered. Two of the nicer outfits had loaders that were on 4 legs and at the end of the job they could raise them up and drive a triaxel under them and haul them to the next site.

I would look for an old knuckle loader truck and keep the loader in good shape.

I use a Case 580L 4x4... Not really moveable with a 3/4 ton though. Although, I moved a 941B with my F350... A Takehuchi TB180 wuld be the best thing I've found in the 16-18 thou market. But, they arent cheap,though cheap compared to a ZX75... I liked the Volvo ECR235CL when we demo'd one. But, it weighs close to 50k.

So,look for a 50-60 size mini. They may not hev enough reach tho.

Back