Made in China/sunfly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a clue! Do people think all the fake Rolex watches are made of surplus parts? The Chinese duplicate anything and everything they can make a buck on. They are not designers, they let the Americans and Europeans spend the thousands/millions on R&D and they just take the product and reverse engineer/knock it off. They are capable of making/matching any degree of quality, it just depends on what the customer wants to spend and the degree of quality control the customer has in place.

I can tell you the Efco saw I have that was made in Italy is topshelf. No issues with quality whatsoever.

so your saying they are made up of the parts, they didn't just happen across the old dies or casts and start making there own pieces with "china" steel.

What I am saying is that a lot of companies that produce these copied saws have been producing aftermarket parts for many years and hence more likely than not the parts would be interchangeable with the real saws. I got this information from someone who works for one of these chinese chainsaw manufactures.

So, Ducati motorcycles and Ferrari/Lamoborgini cars must be junk too?

No I'm saying stuff like mowers and hedge trimmers from Italy are usually a sign of badly made. Since when did you see Ferrari's being sold in Home Depot?

Makita power tools were made in Japan for a long time.

[snip]

Makita still makes some tools in Japan, just not to the extent they used to.....

One of my drills is a made in China Makita, but some of the power tools I've bought in the last three years were made in Japan too.

re the China saws, the local chainsaw repairer bought half a dozen made in China saws to onsell (all the Aussies will recognise the 'Baümer AG' name from ebay. I especially like the German company name to give an impression of quality ;) )
He had problems with two of them, and while the Aussie importer looked after him, he wont be doing it again.
Quality looked ok for what they are, cheap saws, but they are heavy and a little underpowered for the CC's.

I have an 070 knock off but there are many issues as there is not just one manufacturer of these saws in China, but probably dozens. The one I got is one of the poorer copies. It arrived black and red due to the company thinking Australian Customs would "bust them" so they simply painted over the Stihl colours. It arrived with a broken rear handle which was a packaging problem. The choke lever comes off and it needs a good tune. The filter doesn't fit very well and would pass a lot of dust. There is also a 30" ES bar on the way to suit in .404" and they painted black paint over the Stihl logo!
Other than that (the problems found so far can all be fixed) it's actually not too bad considering the price. I've only run it once and haven't had time to play with it since.

The issue(s) you will have is as follows...

The majority of the Chinese suppliers will expect you to be a dealer. You will have to make out you are and then ask for samples with promises to set the world on fire with sales. This worked for me on 3 out of 4 companies (I mean I am a dealer but they never checked). The 4th company never replied. If they reply they will tell you that they sell 10,000 of these a year and have never had a problem. They will then continue to tell you that they supply OEM parts to Stihl, Husqvarna etc (all 3 companies that replied pulled the same line!). They will then ask to be paid via either TT or Western Union and this is where the trouble "may' start. Do you trust them? I don't...
Out of the 3 guys none offered to send me the saws without prior payment.

The guy I am importing piston and cylinder kits off of offered to source them for me instead. He has been sending gear to me and I haven't had to pay him prior to arrival. He has proven to be very trustworthy.

Below is the photo of my red and black 070 and some photos of the 365 knock offs as well. I have two on their way to check out and to test the 372XP BB kits on that I am importing. The 070's are one heavy piece of work...

st0707.jpg

st0705.jpg

st0704.jpg

And one of the 365's...

h3655.jpg

h3654.jpg

h3653.jpg

They bought the Dolmar Chainsaw line, and I think that's why you were under the impression that Makita's power tools were made in Germany (the chainsaws still are made in Germany). ...

Mostly yes, but some are made in China (the cheaper ones), by now.

Have you been into any of them? What kind of quality is the p/c, forging marks and power? Mainly wondering if Troll might be right about Stihl copy rights and such.

There must be drawn a thick line between the Chinese made "Stihls" that are faithful copies of older Stihl models (like that 070) - and those that are just Chinese designed crap saws, that they try to make look like it is a Stihl saw.

Last edited:
Makita still makes some tools in Japan, just not to the extent they used to.....

One of my drills is a made in China Makita, but some of the power tools I've bought in the last three years were made in Japan too.

Well that's a relief. I've been extremely happy with the 'old' Makita power tools that I've used (other than the wimpy holding power of the keyless chuck on my drill). I'll be sure to check the boxes for manufacturing origin next time I'm power tool shopping.

Mostly yes, but some are made in China (the cheaper ones), by now.

Ah hell. Guess everyone's going that way. Again, I guess it pays to look closely on the box/label...

well, I guess after all, there must be a difference between things made in China that are under license or made by a chinese division and those made on some boat in the China`s national waters. I have bought many shoes (well known brands) made in China and some were ok, some were not.
when I was in the military, we had Mercedes Vito made in Turkey; needless to say the board computer broke alot.

I think I have used my chinese saw for the money I have paid but my advice is to stay away from those things; if you can help it. you want a reliable saw. you don`t want to stay with the fear of imminent breakdown.

my 0.02$

well, I guess after all, there must be a difference between things made in China that are under license or made by a chinese division and those made on some boat in the China`s national waters. ....

You are on the right track - stuff made in China at a factory owned and quality controlled by a large Western (or Japanese) company is one thing - China designed stuff made on a Chinese owned factory is another, and much worse alternative!

One of the dealers posted in the last few weeks that assembly of the few saws that was being done on the Makita/China line had gone back to Hamburg.

That's very much nice to know, I was thinking of buying a Makita electric chainsaw

Oh typical :S

If it's Japan it's alright, Japan is a mark of quality, I just bought a Tanaka the other day.

If it's China I'll look in the market for a second hand Stihl electric chainsaw in that case.

does any one in america have a knock off, or are they just impossible to import, for the right price i would run the piss out of a 100cc monster and then just rebuild it with quality parts. MCW, does the 070 look like oem parts will bolt right on??

does any one in america have a knock off, or are they just impossible to import, for the right price i would run the piss out of a 100cc monster and then just rebuild it with quality parts. MCW, does the 070 look like oem parts will bolt right on??

I guess EPA will be a problem, if you want to do it legally! ;)

What the video said...

I stumbled on this review of a GIO a few weeks ago:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VceKsWEl63U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VceKsWEl63U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/krbAOinvIyQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/krbAOinvIyQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I have to give credit to the reviewer. He looked pretty honest about what he thought of it. Pity he couldn't have dialled in the carb a bit better so we could at least see how it performs when in tune. It would also have been nice to see it cut something.

I realize this isn't the knock-off the OP was asking about, but it certainly looks like a wanabe Stihl. No antivibe? Could be tuned a bit better? Bit of a bog? Chain binds if you put proper tension on it? What a festering pile of canine dung. Gotta love Chinese manufacturing. No corner shall be left uncut. No thank-you, I'll stick to the real thing, even if I have to repair/rebuild.

Last edited:
What are you talking about Doc, All the best stuff is made in China(Japan-bttf)...:D

My dewalt's say USA on the labels but the batteries all say made in China.

Latest posts

Back