Made some new converts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am always trying to get my fellow climbers to be a little more modern with their climbing systems. Normally its a waste of time, everywhere around here climbers use a taunt hitch with the tail of their climbing line.
Yesterday and today we were deadwooding a huge 110 ft deador cedar. I got there early yesterday morning and used the bigshot and got my line placed up almost to the top before they even got there.
They had no problem with me going up first and then setting their lines. I SRTed a vertical 90ft straight up. I set their lines then they pulled and air humped their way to the top. They were tore up when they got up.
They were going to have their lunch sent up at noon and not climb down, but when I said I was going to eat on the ground they followed. After lunch I yo yoed up with out breaking a sweat, I could hear them grunting and growning. They were done in by the time they got back up.
I left my rope in the tree, and this morning I SRTed up on the outer canopy, dead wooding the ends. I still beat them up and did a third of the tree.
We finished at noon, and had a live oak to lightly trim and deadwood. Biggest Oak Iv ever seen!
I again shot a line up there, but this time they ask me to show them how to SRT.
They were a little uncomfortable with my 11mm line and dangling in space for 60 ft on a single line, but not the lest bit wore out from the ascent.
I'v been trying to get these guys to try out SRT, but their young guys hard headed, stubborn and full of piss and vingar, and I haven't worked with them on a really tall tree before. They weren't interested until today. Now after two ascends you'ed think they invented it. :msp_biggrin:
Yes I made two new converts.

Always looking to learn from more experienced climbers

I'm fairly new in the industry, 4 months as a groundy now 6 months as climber. used DRT for ascents for a couple of weeks or so until I discovered SRT. I've played around with a few different setups on the SRT I now use a VT+micro pully+rope wrench to work the tree with a left foot ascender, right spike and a chest croll (the chest croll is a new addition and was a revelation for me). I realize this set up is unorthodox but have found it to work-I do sometimes get my other spike sent up. what set up(s) do you use with the SRT? for ascent and working the tree.

cheers.
Dan

PS I ate my lunch in a tree today. keen as Beans!

I'm fairly new in the industry, 4 months as a groundy now 6 months as climber. used DRT for ascents for a couple of weeks or so until I discovered SRT. I've played around with a few different setups on the SRT I now use a VT+micro pully+rope wrench to work the tree with a left foot ascender, right spike and a chest croll (the chest croll is a new addition and was a revelation for me). I realize this set up is unorthodox but have found it to work-I do sometimes get my other spike sent up. what set up(s) do you use with the SRT? for ascent and working the tree.

cheers.
Dan

PS I ate my lunch in a tree today. keen as Beans!

I sometimes put my spikes on my hands so a can really get a good grip.

What is a trip is how these guys modified the RADs. They couldn't get the hang of lifting the hand ascender and their foot at the same time, and they can't foot lock, so on the bottom of the hand ascender where you'd put a foot strap, they have a Carabiner, and run the line down from the pulley throu the Carabiner and then back throu to form a loop, and they put both feet in the loop.
I my self like the RADs, on those really high ascends Ill use a foot strap, but 90 percent of the time I do a foot lock and pull at the same time and that works really good for me.
Coming down on a 90 ft descent using a gri gri I can smell the rope burning and the gri gri is so hot you can't touch it.(no obvious damage to the rope) Could that in its self be dangerous?

No heat

What is a trip is how these guys modified the RADs. They couldn't get the hang of lifting the hand ascender and their foot at the same time, and they can't foot lock, so on the bottom of the hand ascender where you'd put a foot strap, they have a Carabiner, and run the line down from the pulley throu the Carabiner and then back throu to form a loop, and they put both feet in the loop.
I my self like the RADs, on those really high ascends Ill use a foot strap, but 90 percent of the time I do a foot lock and pull at the same time and that works really good for me.
Coming down on a 90 ft descent using a gri gri I can smell the rope burning and the gri gri is so hot you can't touch it.(no obvious damage to the rope) Could that in its self be dangerous?

Just put a rope wrench above grigri. Put on before long descent. Id like to try the hitch hiker in the configuration. Anybody tried the hitch hiker as a heat reducer with mechanical equipment?

Single Jack has some real good pics and vids on the RADS. 10ft or 110ft why bust your butt when your dont have to. Just SRT it!!

Back