Making saw chains and selling them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What are your opinions on doing this? Iam thinking about starting a home based sharpening business and was thinking about adding this to list of stuff I could do.Any and all info would be appreciated.Thank-you in advanced.

Pete
In the Great State Of OHIO

Sharpening and spinning chain is a good way to defray the cost of a grinder and chain tools, but dont expect to set the world on fire. The savings of grinding your chains, and the additional life from not taking half the tooth with each grind, can add up pretty quick if you spend much time with a saw. I find these to be the best benefits. However, it is okay for a little beer money, but not a steady stream of income.

:agree2::agree2:
Sharpening and spinning chain is a good way to defray the cost of a grinder and chain tools, but dont expect to set the world on fire. The savings of grinding your chains, and the additional life from not taking half the tooth with each grind, can add up pretty quick if you spend much time with a saw. I find these to be the best benefits. However, it is okay for a little beer money, but not a steady stream of income.

You might want to take a gander at your yellow pages to see how much competition is in your area. Also most hardware and garden equipment shops offer chain service. A good grinder will set you back 4-5 hundred dollars, the smaller less costly units have much lighter duty motors and do not hold up to a lot of continuous use. You will also need a breaker and and spinner tools to be able to assemble loops. Then you will need a source for reels of bulk chain,presets,and tie straps at a reasonable discount, other wise your cost will be more than the retail at the store. Another thing is that you cannot/ or should not mix brands of chain components as no 2 brands are exactly alike. I am not trying to pour any cold water here, just giving a heads up. I own and run a sharpening/ machine shop for the past 20 years so this info from the horses mouth and not the tail end. Chris, Mr. B's Blades, Milw. WI

Grinding is one thing

The big problem with making chains is the amount of inventory you'll have to carry. Between chisel and semi-chisel, pitch and gauge variations, and of course full comp and skip, there will be a huge investment in bulk inventory.

Also you'll have to be competitively priced, or the clientele will just call Baileys.

If you do go for it, I truly wish you success.

Take Care

If you find a place to get Stihl chain bulk lemme know! i need some.. i've been making chains for my buddies and its not all that profitable, but its nice to be able to make chains in the length you want them RIGHT NOW and not drive anywhere. The few guys that i sharped for don't get too excited and i only charge 4 bucks for under 18" and 7 for 20" and larger

You might want to take a gander at your yellow pages to see how much competition is in your area. Also most hardware and garden equipment shops offer chain service. A good grinder will set you back 4-5 hundred dollars, the smaller less costly units have much lighter duty motors and do not hold up to a lot of continuous use. You will also need a breaker and and spinner tools to be able to assemble loops. Then you will need a source for reels of bulk chain,presets,and tie straps at a reasonable discount, other wise your cost will be more than the retail at the store. Another thing is that you cannot/ or should not mix brands of chain components as no 2 brands are exactly alike. I am not trying to pour any cold water here, just giving a heads up. I own and run a sharpening/ machine shop for the past 20 years so this info from the horses mouth and not the tail end. Chris, Mr. B's Blades, Milw. WI
Blades, do you do any stumper teeth or chipper knives?

Thanks for all reply's

Thanks for all the reply's. Iam thinking of sharpening other stuff besides chains.
I sell firewood now and I wanted to ad stuff that would kind go together.Iam just in info stages right now.I need to have a plan b for when iam laid off and its something I could do in my retirement(which is aways off).Or do I need to figure something else to do from my shop??Any Ideas???Thanks.

Pete

Thanks for all the reply's. Iam thinking of sharpening other stuff besides chains.
I sell firewood now and I wanted to ad stuff that would kind go together.Iam just in info stages right now.I need to have a plan b for when iam laid off and its something I could do in my retirement(which is aways off).Or do I need to figure something else to do from my shop??Any Ideas???Thanks.

Pete

Do you plan on marketing to the tree guy, firewood guy, or everyday guy? A tree guy like my self would be interested in chipper knives and stumper teeth getting sharpened as well. I sharpen all of my own chains and buy in bulk to save money and sharpen everything else but the chipper knives and stumper teeth. Oh hell why don't you just open up a full blown service shop that does it all saws, knives, chains, stumper teeth, pruners, lopers, hedgers, kitchen knives, the whole taco pie.

Most serious cutters buy loops by the 10's and get a deal that make's buying spools uneconomical.

Then with so many diff chains out there you're outlaying a lot of dough. I think your on to something making money sharpening, shorting chains and taking care of bars. Good luck with that.

I made a little money in my shop sharpening and selling chains till the local farm store and wally world started selling chinese bars and chains.. the chink chains will burn up in the grinder when you try to sharpen them... closed my shop about a month ago....

I have not noticed any China chains yet, although I have to admit I have not payed that close of attention to what is on the electric saws that are brought in.

Latest posts

Back