Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 24" does seem ideal for this saw now. The original owner put a 32" bar on it before he blew the engine. I won't use this bar very much, so I'm shopping for a shorter one for most of my work. I might even drop down to a 20" to create a "hot" saw like Kenneth's.

I note that this Big Bore 54mm cylinder might goose this thing up to give it about the same poop as a Stihl MS 650 or the older 066. There might be a few of those around at the Norwalk IA GTG.

I just switched to a 24in total super bar b/c the 20 OEM bar was way to small for 84cc's! WOW THEY ARE AWESOME! They look great with the silver and black; matches the blue on black theme I have going now that my Makita tops are black. I would rate this bar up there with a Stihl ES or other pro bars. I also like the fact that it's not painted. Once the paint wears or chips Stihl, oregon, or Husky bars never look as good. Worst damage to a TSB is the red "TOTAL" wears off and still looks a performs supurbly! You can try mine out with a 24 and 20 if you want... I have both...
Tilton Equipment :: Total Super Bars
Find a Total dealer near you:
Tilton Equipment :: Total and Tecomec

A 6400/6401 is in bad need of a 7900 top end, as it is too heavy for the original top end.

Niko, they perform very, very well for what they are, as those of us that have run one can attest. (and keep saying when you keep saying the above :laugh:)

Randy/Mastermind said this yesterday on another thread.

I understand what you are saying Matt.

I have a bunch of bad ass saws growling at me all the time.......when I go fell a tree most of the time I grab my stock 6401.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191377-17.htm#post3856541

The 24" does seem ideal for this saw now. The original owner put a 32" bar on it before he blew the engine. I won't use this bar very much, so I'm shopping for a shorter one for most of my work. I might even drop down to a 20" to create a "hot" saw like Kenneth's.

I note that this Big Bore 54mm cylinder might goose this thing up to give it about the same poop as a Stihl MS 650 or the older 066. There might be a few of those around at the Norwalk IA GTG.

I don't think mine is a hotsaw but it is impressive stock.

Nothing wrong with running a 20" bar on an 80cc saw. When I got my Husky 181 it had a 30" bar on it, and I quickly swapped it for a 20" bar. It's amazing how the lighter bar makes the heavy saw so much more enjoyable to use. It's rare that I need more than a 20" bar, and the 30" is on hand for those occasions.

No reason to waste hp running a long chain over a long bar when a shorter bar will do and the hp is put into making chips where it matters.

I just switched to a 24in total super bar b/c the 20 OEM bar was way to small for 84cc's! WOW THEY ARE AWESOME! They look great with the silver and black; matches the blue on black theme I have going now that my Makita tops are black. I would rate this bar up there with a Stihl ES or other pro bars. I also like the fact that it's not painted. Once the paint wears or chips Stihl, oregon, or Husky bars never look as good. Worst damage to a TSB is the red "TOTAL" wears off and still looks a performs supurbly! You can try mine out with a 24 and 20 if you want... I have both...

Found a dealer right across the river. I've got some good 063 375 chain. Thanks a million. I'll call him tomorrow to see if he has a 24" bar in stock. Two thumbs up!

There's also a marvelous steak house in Crescent, IA that serves a whale of a steak.

Found a dealer right across the river. I've got some good 063 375 chain. Thanks a million. I'll call him tomorrow to see if he has a 24" bar in stock. Two thumbs up!

There's also a marvelous steak house in Crescent, IA that serves a whale of a steak.

I think you'll like that 24in bar. even a 24in is a hair nose heavy on it when holding it from the 1/2 wrap but it's the best all around combo i've found.

View attachment 254425

Ive got the 20" total bar with a 8pin rim on my 8401, great bar

Last edited:
Getting the 6401 Ready...

I think you'll like that 24in bar. even a 24in is a hair nose heavy on it when holding it from the 1/2 wrap but it's the best all around combo i've found.
I'll bring the 6401 with a 32" bar to the Iowa GTG for the heavyweight competition. A few Stihl MS 650s or 660s may be surprised because I fitted this long bar up with a new chain today. Suddenly I have a logger's saw on board.

I had to get a 24" Oregon Powermatch bar in the 0.063" gauge that I wanted. I have a bunch of 84 DL chain loops already on board that will fit it. I checked the balance and it really felt great as you predicted.

I think also if there are any 20" dia. logs around to play with, my new 24" Powermatch with this 6401 will cook some geese.

Back