Makita 6421 20" are they any good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll

Firewood Hack
Not to mention that you can probably build a Makita up to a 91cc saw for about $100 like I did. Then you may have more power than you know what to do with. Gadzooks!

Bucking with a 32" bar in red elm:
MakitaandBigElm00.jpg

Noodle cutting with a 24" bar in red elm:
MakitaandBigElm01.jpg

All done:
MakitaandBigElm04.jpg

Heckuva saw.

How do you go 91cc?

Wood Doctor
How do you go 91cc?
NWP Big Bore Kit in my case. Meteor might make one also. Bailey's sells them on occasion--depends on what mood they are in. Try Northwood Chainsaw Parts or HSupply.

Beware because you are on your own. NWP forgot to thread the muffler machine screw holes. So, I did that with my metric tap and die set. Piece of cake for me.

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I didn't learn much about the saw but I learned I am not the only crazy person on here! I bought it a few hours ago tried to use it and the brand new chain came off the bar, but it runs great and I have 3 brand new chains but I made need a new bar and it seem to get awful hot for no longer than I ran it but I don't know I've only ran husqvarnas and a 488 shindaiwa

That's it!!!

Looks like you got a DUD!
Box it up and let me know where to send the check!

Mike

nmurph

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
NWP Big Bore Kit in my case. Meteor might make one also. Bailey's sells them on occasion--depends on what mood they are in. Try Northwood Chainsaw Parts or HSupply.

Beware because you are on your own. NWP forgot to thread the muffler machine screw holes. So, I did that with my metric tap and die set. Piece of cake for me.

Those are 84cc as far as I know?????

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
He did post on that scabbord before. A quick search revealed nothing for me.... I was hoping the title of the thread would stand out to me as I was extremely impressed with the craftsmanship and I thought I made a mental picture of the thread. Irregardless, I hope someones memory is better than mine and we get a link or some info from the Craftsman.:rock:

Wood Doctor
I love that bar cover. How did you construct it?

MakitaandBigElm04-M.jpg
Thanks for the compliment. There are five pieces: the sides, the nose piece, and the top and bottom strips that set the gap for the bar and chain. Each strip is just over 5/16" thick and 5/8" wide. The nose piece is the same thickness as the strips and shaped like a waning moon. The sides are planed to 1/4" thick. I used walnut, but I have made these with ash and oak also with equal success. Walnut just tends to be a little lighter in weight. Any good hardwood would work just as well (yellow birch, hickory, hard maple, cherry, etc.)

I use a bunch of C-clamps and yellow glue to hold it together, fastening one side at a time. Then I cut the outer square ends curved to match the nose piece. Initially, I make sure that the gap between the strips is at most 1/16" larger than the bar and chain together. That's because new chains have bigger teeth. You can usually make things snug because the chain will "slice" its way inside as need be. A snug fit is ideal.

I added the notch on the bottom near the entrance to fit inside my Stihl case:
Stihl361and25bar04.jpg

That locks it to the case, similar to the plastic guard that came with the case that only holds a 20" bar.

So there you have it. All made with hardwood and glue--no screws or nails required. I think you could go to 30" in length, but my longest scabbard protects a 25" bar so far, as shown above. Oh, and BTW, if no case is involved, you can simply drill a hole near the entrance and use pull cord to tie and secure the scabbard to the saw's handle. A knot in the cord on each side of the hole keeps the pull cord in place.

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the compliment. There are five pieces: the sides, the nose piece, and the top and bottom strips that set the gap for the bar and chain. Each strip is just over 5/16" thick and 5/8" wide. The nose piece is the same thickness as the strips and shaped like a waning moon. The sides are planed to 1/4" thick. I used walnut, but I have made these with ash and oak also with equal success. Walnut just tends to be a little lighter in weight. Any good hardwood would work just as well (yellow birch, hickory, hard maple, cherry, etc.)

I use a bunch of C-clamps and yellow glue to hold it together, fastening one side at a time. Then I cut the outer square ends curved to match the nose piece. Initially, I make sure that the gap between the strips is at most 1/16" larger than the bar and chain together. That's because new chains have bigger teeth. You can usually make things snug because the chain will "slice" its way inside as need be. A snug fit is ideal.

I added the notch on the bottom near the entrance to fit inside my Stihl case:
Stihl361and25bar04.jpg

That locks it to the case, similar to the plastic guard that came with the case that only holds a 20" bar.

So there you have it. All made with hardwood and glue--no screws or nails required. I think you could go to 30" in length, but my longest scabbard protects a 25" bar so far, as shown above. Oh, and BTW, if no case is involved, you can simply drill a hole near the entrance and use pull cord to tie and secure the scabbard to the saw's handle. A knot in the cord on each side of the hole keeps the pull cord in place.

Thanks for responding- We applaud your Craftsmanship. It is a beautiful scabbord and I think it is very fitting that it is made from Natural Material- wood.

Wood Doctor
Thanks for responding- We applaud your Craftsmanship. It is a beautiful scabbord and I think it is very fitting that it is made from Natural Material- wood.

Next up is a hardwood case. My forthcoming Stihl 660 (or 661) won't fit inside any plastic case that Stihl sells--at least that's what I've been told. The 460 is the biggest saw that will fit inside a Stihl case. I guess they figure the loggers are going to eventually beat up the big babies anyway. :hmm3grin2orange: