Makita 7900 or 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would caution you on the spark screen. My 7900 loves to spit out red hot carbon kittens. More then any of my other saws. Should not be a problem in the UK but….

Wtf...every 7900 I can buy over here in the UK comes with an 18” bar :dumb: I’m under-barring it with a 22”...but an 18”?!

Same carburetor on 64xx/73xx/79xx, that is why the 64 runs quite rich.
Having all three I think that the 73's utilize the factory carburetor best, 64 seems rich, 79 seems to want more fuel.

Yes, the 79 is a thirsty beast, the 73"s are better on fuel economy, can't beat the 64 though (comparing only this model line).

I repeat myself, do a mild MM enlarging the factory outlet and keeping the spark screen in place, either enlarge the holes on the bird cage of the non-SLR muffler, or gut it all together.
DO gut the SLR muffler!
Get Yourself the FINE white nylon air filter, it is right between the felt filter and the coarse black nylon filter - forget the HD AF unless You want it for the looks of it.
This saw family oils a 36" perfectly fine, I do not understand what everybody is complaining about.
If You feel Your B&C is not lubricated enough enlarge the bars oiler hole and/or utilize thinner oil.

I recently upgraded my 6401 to a 7901, with a 20" bar it's a bit faster, today I had a 28" bar on it and it rips. Stock except for a MM, it is much thirstier than when it was a 6401, but I don't mind.

Same carburetor on 64xx/73xx/79xx, that is why the 64 runs quite rich.
Having all three I think that the 73's utilize the factory carburetor best, 64 seems rich, 79 seems to want more fuel.

Yes, the 79 is a thirsty beast, the 73"s are better on fuel economy, can't beat the 64 though (comparing only this model line).

I repeat myself, do a mild MM enlarging the factory outlet and keeping the spark screen in place, either enlarge the holes on the bird cage of the non-SLR muffler, or gut it all together.
DO gut the SLR muffler!
Get Yourself the FINE white nylon air filter, it is right between the felt filter and the coarse black nylon filter - forget the HD AF unless You want it for the looks of it.
This saw family oils a 36" perfectly fine, I do not understand what everybody is complaining about.
If You feel Your B&C is not lubricated enough enlarge the bars oiler hole and/or utilize thinner oil.
I got ya fella, I think I will be doing everything you have suggested :clap:

Wtf...every 7900 I can buy over here in the UK comes with an 18” bar :dumb: I’m under-barring it with a 22”...but an 18”?!
My local dealer has a 7900 in stock and will do it without the 18” bar and chain...PHO is £510! Result. Now to try to find a good 22” bar, nothing and I mean nothing in stock and available this side of the pond :confused:
If only I knew some friendly guys in the US that could get me one and send it to me :innocent:

My local dealer has a 7900 in stock and will do it without the 18” bar and chain...PHO is £510! Result. Now to try to find a good 22” bar, nothing and I mean nothing in stock and available this side of the pond :confused:
If only I knew some friendly guys in the US that could get me one and send it to me :innocent:
Dan @AlfA01 had a whole lott of bars and chains for sale, I got me a 24" Oregon and three matching chains.

I know he is backlogged with work and family health issues, but maybe You could send him a PM.
If I recall correctly he had no lightweight bars in 22"-24".
He did have affordable D009/large Husky mount bars.

Dan @AlfA01 had a whole lott of bars and chains for sale, I got me a 24" Oregon and three matching chains.

I know he is backlogged with work and family health issues, but maybe You could send him a PM.
If I recall correctly he had no lightweight bars in 22"-24".
He did have affordable D009/large Husky mount bars.
Thanks fella, I’ll pm him and see what he has :popcorn2:

Does a 22" lightweight bar exist? I've only seen a couple of 22" bars in my life, and they were regular rsn bars, not lightweight.

Does a 22" lightweight bar exist? I've only seen a couple of 22" bars in my life, and they were regular rsn bars, not lightweight.
Yes they are available ‘normally’...sugihara and Tsumura have them. I don’t think Husqvarna or Stihl make a 22” bar, but could be wrong, but Oregon do but I’ve not seen a lightweight Oregon one

chainsdirect.co.uk list an Oregon powermatch 22"
Yes you’re right, that is my backup if I can’t find a lightweight bar. I’m in no rush to use the saw though so I might just wait. I know that a few grams saved on a bar when using a 80cc saw to pull a 22” bar is ludicrous, but money is not really an issue with regard work equipment so I’ll prob hold on for what I think is realistically optimum

I added an extra port with a spark screen and Husky 288 deflector.
092.jpgSold to vinpie1
I don't think the 6421-7900 Dolmars are any bulkier than the Husky-Jonsereds.

I added an extra port with a spark screen and Husky 288 deflector.
View attachment 865349Sold to vinpie1
I don't think the 6421-7900 Dolmars are any bulkier than the Husky-Jonsereds.
Thanks fella; I’m going to have a good look at the muffler when I pick up the saw tomorrow. I’ll have to make sure I adjust the carb appropriately after any mods :reading:

The 7900 is a very strong saw. It can pull a 32” bar but its oil output is better suited to a 28”. My 6400 is an x-pat home depot saw. I think a paid like $200 for it. It is one of the only saws I will loan out. I use it more for demolition than tree cutting. It has cut asphalt roofs, chain link fence, even gave a t-post growing inside a tree a run for its money. Built tough.
Yeah, cutting some big fence row uglies, munched a new 36 chain. Ugh, that sound and feel!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

But there is a point in using a 79 CC saw with a shorter bar if you swap in a larger sprocket. My 6401/7910 is pure joy to run with a 24 inch bar, 8 pin sprocket, and square ground chain.
I’ll have a look for an 8pin, nothing has come up as available locally with a quick UK online search. I’ll wear the standard 7pin out and when it’s time to replace get one of each and try them both out. The saw is pretty:
4717084F-4EF9-4835-A641-947CD7AF7DF0.jpegA6A93FD3-AB75-4156-8C93-E71399B34884.jpegA4EBADB0-FA68-4D8E-A603-21E56759DD33.jpeg

Latest posts

Back