Makita 7900 or 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 7900 does not pop either, and I had best not pull it on choke more than once or it is flooded, it sometimes starts on that first pull.
Ah ok...I’ll try no choke next time and if that doesn’t work one pull with choke and then no choke. Just gotta figure out what it likes

Ah ok...I’ll try no choke next time and if that doesn’t work one pull with choke and then no choke. Just gotta figure out what it likes
My 7900 doesn’t pop either. No more than two pulls with choke on then push in choke and she’ll start in two to three pulls. Also, I interchange bars between it and my husqvarna 562xp.

My 7900 doesn’t pop either. No more than two pulls with choke on then push in choke and she’ll start in two to three pulls. Also, I interchange bars between it and my husqvarna 562xp.
Thanks fella, I’ll be trying to de-Stihl my approach next time

My older 6401/7910 always popped. Got two newer 6421s and they liked to flood till I replaced the metering spring at the advice of @fordf150 . I unfortunately don't remember the specifics, but perhaps he will stop in and enlighten us.

Here’s a quick video for those with good hearing...I can hear no pop or snuffle. Choke for first two pulls. Saw is bone cold, not used for over 24 hours.

Next time the saw is cold I’ll try with one choke pull; if that fails the next time I will try with no choke at all.
If it remains a bugger to start I’ll have to buy a new un-mm’d muffler, fit it and take it back to the dealer to be looked at.
I also attach a pic showing the wet decomp button area after the video...fuel is obvs being blown out of it?
1F30AB58-5E01-4A04-9EF0-63AB523B1F4F.jpeg

How many pulls to get mix snotting out the decomp like that?
Just the ones u heard in the vid mate. Two with choke and then seven more without choke until I got bored.
After the video I dried the plug and pulled it without choke, it started after five or six pulls.
Tomorrow when I try to start it I’ll try with just one choke pull and see how that works.

Both my 7900 and 6401 start (pop) just like any stihl or husky. You saw sounds like it is flooding out. Your plug looks way to rich. My guess is something is wrong with the carb. Might just need adjustment or some twiddling.

Curious if you put a new plug in it. One of mine was giving me fits. Bought it as a runner that needed some love. Ran when I got it. Took it apart, gave it a good cleaning. Put carb kit and new NGK plug in it. All back together and it wouldn't do anything but flood. After a few days and a really sore arm and head my friend threw it out I should put I new plug it to which I promptly replied I did. He however, has been a landscaper his whole life and has been through way more new plugs than I and said it wouldn't be the first faulty plug from the factory. Low and behold, he was right. A different new NGK plug and the saws been running fine ever since... Definitely worth checking, plugs are cheep enough.

The saw is brand new and the shop ran it up for me, they said it was fine. Could the mm have caused this do you think? Today it started okay-ish with no choke. If no choke is all it needs to start, that’s fine with me

mm should cause a need for a change in tune, but hard to imagine it'd change it that much. I'll have to run to the shop and see if Nate sent me a third stiffer metering spring and carb kit as a spare and see if I can wrangle up a part number. He hasn't been around much since his shop burned down.

mm should cause a need for a change in tune, but hard to imagine it'd change it that much. I'll have to run to the shop and see if Nate sent me a third stiffer metering spring and carb kit as a spare and see if I can wrangle up a part number. He hasn't been around much since his shop burned down.
Thanks fella. With my limited knowledge I agree that a mm shouldn’t cause much issue until the saw is actually running. A part number would be great so thank you for trying. I’m starting to really like the performance and handling of the saw so getting it started with ease would be icing on the cake

I still like the saw but something is not right. Starting it cold; decomp in, choke out and it will not burp...then choke in and the same. Twice I’ve pulled the plug to find it soaking wet. Dried it off and pulled it without the choke and it’s started up within 6 pulls.
I’ve not tried starting it cold with no choke yet, that’ll be my next move.
I like saws to start easy
My 7900 does not pop either, and I had best not pull it on choke more than once or it is flooded, it sometimes starts on that first pull.
This!
Sometimes the pop is just a sniffle

I have four of these, all factory stock.
PS-6400 has AM piston kit no MM, the PS-7300/7310/7900 are factory original and have a mild MM.
PS-6400 & PS-7900 do not have a DeCo, PS-7300 & PS-7310 do.
Different years of manufacturing.
Different, even unknown runtime on each.
They all behave the same!

If You have cold start flooding issues with these saws try this starting procedure:
- do not wear hearing protection as the cold start pop tends to be subtle
- do not utilize the DeCo valve if Your unit features one
- give the saw a pull without engaging choke+high idle , if she pops You just prevented flooding Your saw!
- engage choke+high idle , give the saw 2 to 4 pulls the most depending whether she pops or not , obviously You don't keep pulling once she pops
- disengage choke keeping high idle , give the saw 2 to 3 pulls , she should spring to life

A simple MM without carb retune will not greatly impact the saws cold start behavior!

This is an old thread, so the OP has probably got the saw sorted since,
I would not try to start that saw using the decomp valve, I flooded the one I had once
and not a seep came out there, its not sealing / popping out as it should.
You could also have a metering valve issue, I would investigate both.

Latest posts

Back