Makita dolmar questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with a Makita DE 3435 SN is 93 030317 made in germany. I got one form a friend who bought it used and he could not get it to run. in depth carb soak/cleaning and I got it to fire up. but its missing some parts, and the oiler does not work. anybody got any indfo on this little thing? it looks so cute sitting next to the 372's ha ha ha .makita.jpg

I found a couple for sale on yahoo japan, but they all seem to have the same issue, the chain brake is broken. its design is the type that if you try to pull the cover off with the brake engaged you will make a hash of it, so I am guessing that a lot of folks over here did just that :)

Your saw belongs to the same family as the Dolmar PS33. It's exactly the same as either the PS344 or the 342: I don't remember which had the same chain brake as yours and which had the more sensible version, which is the main difference. Chain brakes can be swapped around but require different sprocket covers.
These saws came with two types of oil pumps: one sealed and the other rebuildable. Yours should have the rebuildable version.

Parts pretty much interchange freely between all models, Dolmar and Makita: it's quite easy to get a little extra performance by going up in displacement and fitting a non-EPA/EURO carburetor.

Your saw is the 34cc version which is OK but nothing to write home about. The ps400/410 40cc saws are the ones to have in these, where they are a good saw for small work but can do bigger stuff at a pitch. Try ebay germany for parts. They have most things but if its plastic it will be orange. Overall I think these are really underrated saws that give little trouble if looked after and run a traditional split crankcase compared to the similar size new saws clamshell.

Your saw is the 34cc version which is OK but nothing to write home about. The ps400/410 40cc saws are the ones to have in these, where they are a good saw for small work but can do bigger stuff at a pitch. Try ebay germany for parts. They have most things but if its plastic it will be orange. Overall I think these are really underrated saws that give little trouble if looked after and run a traditional split crankcase compared to the similar size new saws clamshell.
yeah my buddy has a 50cc stihl for larger wood, he wants this one for limbing etc.

I like my Makita 520i that just came on board. Only complaint I have is that the chain brake kicks in too easily with a light forward press of the guard handle. I can live with it.

Then of course, it's big brother, the 6401 that I beefed up, is a fearless saw that never lets me down. I made a mistake and looked at a couple of these blue and black beasts a few years back at a GTG:
Iowa GTG 2012-02.jpg
How could I resist?

Your saw belongs to the same family as the Dolmar PS33. It's exactly the same as either the PS344 or the 342: I don't remember which had the same chain brake as yours and which had the more sensible version, which is the main difference. Chain brakes can be swapped around but require different sprocket covers.
These saws came with two types of oil pumps: one sealed and the other rebuildable. Yours should have the rebuildable version.

Parts pretty much interchange freely between all models, Dolmar and Makita: it's quite easy to get a little extra performance by going up in displacement and fitting a non-EPA/EURO carburetor.
Agree with all C3 says all I would add is a muffler mod is a help as well

Back