Makita EA4300 or "New" 2005 Dolmar 501

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notacos4u

Reaction score
I am looking to get a new chainsaw. This will be my first chainsaw and I do not have a ton of experience with chainsaws, although I have used them from time to time. I went into one of the local dealers, as I originally had my mind set on a Dolmar 421, only to find they are discontinued. I know they are replaced with the Makita EA4300, but while in there, the dealer said he had a brand new 2005 Dolmar 510 that only had gas run through it, never cut, and he would sell it to me for $300 with bar and chain and a 1 year warranty. I was wondering which way I would get the best bang for my buck. I've seen what appears to be glowing reviews about the Makita/ Dolmar EA4300 so am just curious which route I should choose and I figured everyone on here is way more knowledgeable than I could even hope to be. Appreciate everyones advice. Thanks

also would like everyone's opinions in regards to purchasing online vs. through local retailer.... I know I can get the Makita cheaper online, but if I buy it through the local dealer, they'll set it up right off the bat for me and I can go right into the woods and start cutting. Like I said... really new to chainsaws. Thanks again.

I don't know much about the 501 so can't comment there.

The chances of a new saw having troubles are relatively small for the first few years so if the price difference is significant I'd buy online. Or ask the local dealer to price match.

My Dad is selling his 421. He used it twice (about a tank and half of 40:1 Trufuel) it comes with 2 bars and 2 chains. $250 plis the ride.

If you're wondering why he's selling it, he has glaucoma and can no long use it.

My question would be what are your requirements? What for do you need a chainsaw?

Just for clarification dolmar 421 and the makita 4300 are exactly the same saw! Just the name tag is different. Dolmar is a small part of the makita brand. Been part of makita since the early 90's, so absolutely nothing to worry about.

If your Intention is only for ocaissional firewood cutting. I would go for the 421.

If your intention is for regular firewood cutting, I would get the 510. Just be sure that the carb is fully adjustible and not epoxied.

Personally I'd probably go with the used 421 from Kenjax. The new Makita 4300s are the same saws, but the recent ones are being assembled in China's. Probably no big deal, but I'd rather have a German one myself.

I decided to buy Kenjax's 421, just seemed to good of a deal to pass up and it already had the muffler mod completed on it. I will mostly be using it to clear trails and prepping for hunting seasons or occasional storm damage, don't heat with wood, so didn't see the need to get a bigger saw that is only going to be used on a very limited basis

They really are great saws. Sometimes I start mine up just to laugh at how easy it is. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Congrats on the purchase!

Back