Many Here Many Soup Up Their Chain Saws! Why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welllit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm not a very well informed chain saw guy, nor much of a gear head, so I ask: Isn't keeping up with good maintenance enough?

That is, I religiously keep up with changing out all the various filters (earlier sometimes than really necessary) and spark plug and so far, I've had no trouble with my Husqvarna 340. It's almost 10 years old.

Now, I get it if you're one to squeeze out every drop of bang out of your saw, but not being terribly mechanical minded, the best I can do is great maintenance.

My question: Is going to great lengths of tuning and modding this or that simply fun for you that do it, or am I missing out on something I should be doing too?

P.S. I'm a gun guy and I trick out my pistols and AR's too, so I get being a fan of modding things...but, what I do isn't really necessary, just fun.

West,

I don't understand your post.

Are you an anti-gun guy?

If you are, ok.

I'm such a gun guy, I even have a shooting range in my back yard. All my neighbors are rather like me in that they are all shooters too. On the week-ends, it sounds like war in my neighborhood with all the shooting practice going on. jihadis cretins and criminals are unknown where I live here in Texas. Well, except for the 2 who showed up in Garland who were immediately smoked a while back...

Of course, many (me too) are licensed to carry and never leave home without their pistols on their hips. My every day carry (EDC) is a tricked out Glock 19 and a spare fully loaded magazine on the other side of my hip filled with 15 +P - 9mm jacketed hollow points, 124 grain, Speer Gold Dots. A very effective round.

But, back to my original question.

Is a tricked out saw a good idea or simply something chain saw fans like to do...?

West,

As soon I posted I saw your newest post.

Please elaborate.

Your newest post is another opaque one, at least to me.

I'm not being unkind, I just don't understand why you're chastising me, I think...maybe I'm wrong, but your IQ comment and where I've posted has me puzzled.

Thanks!

West,

Please elaborate.

I'm not being unkind, I just don't understand why you're chastising me, I think...maybe I'm wrong, but your IQ comment and where I've posted has me puzzled.

Thanks!
Join the club, nobody else can decipher his posts either. Lol

Gypo,

Thanks!

I would think would think chain saws guys and gun guys would go together well...

What do I know?

Obviously, not all agree with that, and I'm ok with that. Some folks disagree with self defense as they rely on the police to save them if danger threatens. Heck, the police are only minutes away, when seconds count...Try telling a home invader, wait, wait, wait, I'm gonna call the police if you assault into my home ...yeah, sure, I should just let you and hope the police will save my bacon...ah, not gonna happen...

Of course, having a been a combat soldier for a number of years, I'm not sure why some think guns are scary.

To me, chain saws are scary and that's why I'm trying to learn more about them...

Everyone in homeowner's agrees with you yes

Welcome

West,

Please elaborate.

Thanks!
You failed the IQ test and guns always get the blame.

Post in chainsaw sec.

Welcome
I thought it was self explanitory but that's just me.
There is a chainsaw section for chainsaws questions titled non other than "chainsaws" hence: my comment. There is a moderator posting nearing the top of the forum for further guidance. Come on now Welllit. you don't go to IKEA for a Harley. You got a letter grade F on the task ...Own it!
You also got a sincere big W from me above. Nobody gets that, I hate everyone here.

I'm really sorry....I'm just mad at my father. You read what that GYPOO guy wrote?
You know he used to phone me drunk all the time then I got the nerve up to say " Dad...you mind not calling me drunk anymore? that was like 30 yrs ago...was the last time we talked....LOL
Have fun, ttyl

West,

I don't understand your post.

Are you an anti-gun guy?

If you are, ok.

I'm such a gun guy, I even have a shooting range in my back yard. All my neighbors are rather like me in that they are all shooters too. On the week-ends, it sounds like war in my neighborhood with all the shooting practice going on. jihadis cretins and criminals are unknown where I live here in Texas. Well, except for the 2 who showed up in Garland who were immediately smoked a while back...

Of course, many (me too) are licensed to carry and never leave home without their pistols on their hips. My every day carry (EDC) is a tricked out Glock 19 and a spare fully loaded magazine on the other side of my hip filled with 15 +P - 9mm jacketed hollow points, 124 grain, Speer Gold Dots. A very effective round.

But, back to my original question.

Is a tricked out saw a good idea or simply something chain saw fans like to do...?

What kind of ******** do you live in? I live in a major urban area, with several ethnicities, including a very large Persian community and I have no concern for my safety, except from the crappy drivers.

What kind of ******** do you live in? I live in a major urban area, with several ethnicities, including a very large Persian community and I have no concern for my safety, except from the crappy drivers.
Quite a few of us concealed carry types think of a handgun as being a bit like a parachute. If you ever need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again. I hope to God I never need mine, but living in St Louis, occasionally working in Ferguson, well...

I'm a gun guy and a saw guy and a tool guy and just love the out doors. I've modified a few guns and all my saws.

Basically there's expensive saws that have a ton of power then there's cheap ones with no power but if you modify the cheap ones they rock. Don't you wish you could turn a .22 into a 270? Same idea with saws but it's possible and a lot cheaper.

Then there's your go to saw just like a gun. My saw is my husky 450 my gun is my Marlin 336 in .35 rem. Ya know with the scope and hammer extender thing. All modified to work best.

Fellow chain saw and gun enthusiasts good to hear from you.

To answer West's question, I live in a beautiful part of rural Texas, not some dreadful, city slum. You have my sympathy West. Around here we have abundant wildlife from feral hogs, which I've killed, gutted and butchered in my back yard, mighty fine eating too, and often seen gorgeous bobcats, plus coyotes, raccoons, possum, deer, skunks, and the list goes on. Tons of bird life from the migratory sand hill crane to pileated woodpeckers.

West remember, when seconds counts, the police are only minutes away.

In my part of the world, we don't call 911...

Latest posts

Back