Maple & Oak "score"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giXXer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The term "score" has been discussed a little bit lately. If this isn't one, I don't know what is. I do haul-aways for a tree removal company and unfortunately have to take the good with the bad. On this particular haul-away it was all good. This was a relatively large job for this small company and they had a lot of other work lined up so I helped by bucking logs and carting the wood around the house to my dump trailer. There were also 5 maples in the front yard that were extremely easy pickings. Heavy, but right next to the road. The only bummer, since it was a nice lake house, we could only drive on the lawn next to the garage, everything else was not to be driven on and the trees were quite large. I worked 4 afternoons/evenings and took 2 loads per day. The ninth load was dropped at a neighbors house because he helped me split and load the huge oak rounds so I thought a nice cord + of oak and maple was owed. The icing on the cake was I got paid to take it. The tree company did the math and it was more financially advantageous for them to move on to the next high paying job instead of burning man hours hauling away wood that is "worthless" to them. It wasn't a lot of money, but it was more than enough to cover my fuel and equipment costs. Oh, it was also the closest wood to my lot that I have hauled for them...7 miles round trip. See, the sun DOES shine on every dogs butt every once in a while! If someone would like to take the pics and include them in the thread so everyone can see, please do.

Here ya go:

249512d1345566610-7-7-12pics-120cropped-jpg

249513d1345566642-7-7-12pics-121cropped-jpg

249516d1345566706-7-7-12pics-123cropped-jpg

249517d1345566736-7-7-12pics-119cropped-jpg

You suck BTW!

Here is a pic of the largest stump. It's a double trunk oak with a huge (approximately 65") base. The first pic in my thread starter is the two stems off of this stump (one of them is missing some bark). I had to noodle some and also split some just to be able to move it. Some of the heaviest wood I have run into. I currently have about 4 cords of it split, waiting for the 2013/2014 burning/selling season. This oak might have to wait until 2014/2015. I'm not in a hurry to get it gone because it makes me smile just looking at it considering how favorable the acquisition was. :biggrin:

I think that is a fine "score". The tree company that did my FIL's ash trees also took some money off of his bill because they only had to haul the wood a mile to my house, and as you mentioned could move on to the next job quicker rather than dealing with the wood themselves. I thought it was a win win all around.
A score by any other name burns just as hot...

The nay-sayers can believe what they want, but THAT counts as a score in my book, giXXer.

Here is a pic of the largest stump. It's a double trunk oak with a huge (approximately 65") base. The first pic in my thread starter is the two stems off of this stump (one of them is missing some bark). I had to noodle some and also split some just to be able to move it. Some of the heaviest wood I have run into. I currently have about 4 cords of it split, waiting for the 2013/2014 burning/selling season. This oak might have to wait until 2014/2015. I'm not in a hurry to get it gone because it makes me smile just looking at it considering how favorable the acquisition was. :biggrin:

I would hate to have to dig that stump out!

Pretty much, Or a stump grinder! I hate cutting and shoveling out stumps!

I have a few here you can have a go at, if you're ever down this way. Otherwise they're gonna rot in place. I'm not takin' them out.

I have a few here you can have a go at, if you're ever down this way. Otherwise they're gonna rot in place. I'm not takin' them out.

Oh yeah ? I'll bring you down a old car rim or something and we can put it around the stump and have a little fire :)

I gotta go fish it out of the junk first, LOL! How big around is that stump ? We can just drip torch the sucker!

It's more than 32" wide, probably 40" the other way. I've got 4 total that I need to take down, 2 a little smaller than the one in the pic, and one that's cut off at around 3'. 3 maples, 1 walnut.

I would hate to have to dig that stump out!

The homeowner doesn't want any equipment on the yard. It will be taken care of with a small stump grinder by the tree removal company. I would have brought my loader down and dug the stump out if I was allowed to use it to pick up all of the other wood, but that idea was shot down. :frown:

Latest posts

Back