Maple tree help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello community,

as a German, we do not have maple sirup :( - ok, you can buy it in some stores, but I decided I want my own sirup.

So, we have this tree in our garden, for sure it is a maple tree, but is it a "Acer saccharum"?

img6590xj6.jpg

img6589cz0.jpg

img6585or1.jpg

In case and got the right tree, we would need help on how to get the water/sirup (sorry I dont know the right word) out of the tree. Any help and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance und best regards,

Vincent

Looks like it is, but I will let someone with more expertise say for sure.

I think you can get a spout that will screw into the trunk and allow the sap to pour out.

Someone here will be able to tell you better.

Vincent,

I'm not a professional arborist, just a hobbyist, but I do not think that tree is Acer saccharum. It appears to be Acer planatoides or 'Spitzahorn' in German.

http://www.garten.cz/e/en/27-norway-maple-acer-platanoides

I believe that Acer saccharum is indigenous to Northeastern North America and that is does not occur naturally in Europe.

Last edited:
I'm also pretty sure the tree is not sugar maple, from the pictures I would say red maple. Sugar maples have very pointed buds, almost sharp. Other maples generally have more rounded buds.

It's not sugar maple. Close but not quite the same.

Besides, one tree couldn't produce enough sap to make more than a few ml of syrup when fully boiled down.

Do you get the right freeze thaw cycles in germany, in the spring to make syrup?

There are other types of tree that can be tapped to produce syruyp. I know birches are tapped in Alaska.

Es tut mir leid, das is nicht eine acer saccharum.

So, was ist das? Ich weiss nicht.

And that is all the Deutsch that ich weiss.

Viel gluck.

When you break a leaf off the branch if there is milky sap at the base of the petiole that will confirm my suspicion that it is a norway maple. The sap from that variety is not suitable for syrup. In any case you need much more than one tree to be able to get any usable amout of syrup.

My bad - I was so busy trying to see buds that I looked right past the leaf itself. Not a red, probably a variety of norway as others have suggested.

alanarbor said:
When you break a leaf off the branch if there is milky sap at the base of the petiole that will confirm my suspicion that it is a norway maple. The sap from that variety is not suitable for syrup. In any case you need much more than one tree to be able to get any usable amout of syrup.

Thanks alanarbor. So it is a norway maple :( (it is still a beautiful tree). I did what you said and milky sap was coming out.

@TimberJack 7: Danke. :)

@Greenfell: Thanks a lot for this link. This is real great and helpful for all plants.

@retoocs555: In some winters there is a longer freezing period, not in all. In general we have a continental clima- but it is not as cold as in Canada or similar regions.

@CaseyForrest & Rtom45: Quick & competent. Great. Thank you

@all: Thanks a lot for looking and helping. It was worth trying and now I know for sure that I will not have my own syrup :(

:chainsaw:

Ok, no it will be co-existing next to our apple trees.

Greetings from Germany,
Vincent

Latest posts

Back