Massey Ferguson runs but wont drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfield

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a 2011 massey 1540. It starts up and runs fine, but as soon as I try to put it in gear it dies. Any ideas? I primed and changed the fuel filter that made no difference. I checked the switch under the seat thinking maybe it was junk and wasnt starting because it didnt think I was on the seat. Im at a loss, I need it and the dealer doesnt open back up til wednesday. And suggestions would be much appreciated.

Brake on? Micro brake lock? Short in parking brake switch. What kind of tranny has it got?

Its a manual tranny. I dont think its stuck in gear cause it did it the other day and after rocking it back in forth using the power shift it finally came out of it. I thought it was a little jelled up. I can move it a lil forward and a lil backwards by using the power shift so I dont think its a brake issue.

Check the carb setting also. It may idle fine but not be getting enough fuel once it is loaded up in gear.
You should be able to remove the wire from the switch from under the seat and it will start with you off the mower.
I did to my mower as was a pain everytime i got off to revove a stick etc. A wire may be shorting out on something once it is in gear from the gear engagement. Check all the wires that they are not pinched or vibrate against anything sharp.
I know this can happen to lawnmowers with the coil stop wire.
All the best with it
Wayne

When it did it the other day was it rite after you first started it up?
It it outside or inside. If it is outside there may be moisture that froze in the hydraulic shuttle.
Start it and let it run for about a half hour and tell me what happens then.

Later
Dan

Check the carb setting also. It may idle fine but not be getting enough fuel once it is loaded up in gear.
You should be able to remove the wire from the switch from under the seat and it will start with you off the mower.
I did to my mower as was a pain everytime i got off to revove a stick etc. A wire may be shorting out on something once it is in gear from the gear engagement. Check all the wires that they are not pinched or vibrate against anything sharp.
I know this can happen to lawnmowers with the coil stop wire.
All the best with it
Wayne

That tractor has a 3 cylinder Iseki turbo diesel. No Carb

Later
Dan

When it did it the other day was it rite after you first started it up?
It it outside or inside. If it is outside there may be moisture that froze in the hydraulic shuttle.
Start it and let it run for about a half hour and tell me what happens then.

Later
Dan

The tractor is outside. The 1st time it did it was right after the 1st cold night we had. I put some diesel 911 in it and it was fine. This most recent time it did it I changed the filter and primed it with diesel and 911. Didnt fix the problem at all. I let it run for 3 hrs today while we were working thinking it'd warm up and come out of it, nothing. Did the same thing.

The tractor is outside. The 1st time it did it was right after the 1st cold night we had. I put some diesel 911 in it and it was fine. This most recent time it did it I changed the filter and primed it with diesel and 911. Didnt fix the problem at all. I let it run for 3 hrs today while we were working thinking it'd warm up and come out of it, nothing. Did the same thing.

If its that new, shouldn't it still be under warranty?

It almost has to be a safety switch problem somewhere on the machine. Where though, I don't know, as I am not familiar with that model. There is a switch somewhere telling the engine to die when you engage the trans.
Jeff

Check your filter again.May be a Batch of bad diesel stopping up your filter.Look where your fuel line comes out of the tank also.Some tractors have a Drain cock at that line to drain out Crud.If you are running red farm Diesel some times you get a black build up in your tanks from a Bacteria that grows in the Oil.

Wait a second is your Parking brake off? If it is check the Shuttle shift Switch to see if it's stuck.

That tractor has a 3 cylinder Iseki turbo diesel. No Carb

Later
Dan

Sorry.
thought he was refering to a ride on mower, thats what we call them, where you guys call them tractors.
My Massey Ferguson tractor is 75 HP and 34 inch rear rims
I know my tractor has a switch in the gearbox where it cannot be started in any gear.
If it has a similar switch you may either want to disconnect it or bridge it out with a piecs of wire and try that .
At least then you will know if it is the switch sticking etc
Regards Wayne

Wait a second is your Parking brake off? If it is check the Shuttle shift Switch to see if it's stuck.

Yea the parking brake is off, it'll actually move 4-5 feet each time, I use the power shift n give it some gas it'll go a few feet then I gotta put it back in neutral before it dies again . I can repeat that process all day. After doing the for a few minutes I got it to come out of it the 1st time.

Sounds like a fuel or Air problem to me.Excessive Smoke?Low Smoke? Normal?

The Old Fergusons were prone to getting locked in between gears.I think they may have fixed that.

Last edited:
How does the oil look, we have had trouble the last couple of years with tractors manufacturing water, it took two oil fired heaters and 8hrs last winter to get a 8 speed ford thawed enough to move last winter.

Sounds like a fuel or Air problem to me.Excessive Smoke?Low Smoke? Normal?

The Old Fergusons were prone to getting locked in between gears.I think they may have fixed that.

No smoke, it runs perfect. Its gotta be a safety switch, just wish I knew which one. Thanx for everyones input I really appreciate it.

How does the oil look, we have had trouble the last couple of years with tractors manufacturing water, it took two oil fired heaters and 8hrs last winter to get a 8 speed ford thawed enough to move last winter.

All the fluids look good, one of the first things I checked. The tractor has exactly 100 hrs on it, still pretty new. It ran fine the day before. Im at a loss.

Back