Mastermind 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My OE has been MM'd , squished and lowers blended a bit . It still is happiest @ 12,000 , while my MM'd 272 tach's 13500 all day . Will a 357 carb help my OE to rev higher ?
When I had the 45cc top end ported on my OE it was strongest at around 14.8K. None of my 346s' would cut very will tuned only to 12K. I'd say you have a carb problem.

I have a 550xp and its a great little saw, l have never owned or run a 346xp but l kinda want one. After seeing that Dan Henry 346 in Capitanhaddoc's vid l was sold. lt still seems the Husky crowd prefers 346xp over 550xp. l wonder whether a clever builder could put the AT system from a 550 on a 346. When saw lovers talk huskies the 346 always gets the nodd.

Don, sounds like a real nice saw, enjoy! And keep me posted on UR thoughts about square file, I knew it would get your attention!
Mike, the round chisel feels more aggressive (grabby) in the cut. The square cuts smoother and faster, I do like it! That said, I will still be using semi chisel when I head to the woods. :)

That's OK, but I'm glad you tried it. Used square when I cut w/MechanicMatt on Sat, went through 4 tanks on the 362 and it was still cutting very good, but I touched it up when I got home anyway. I think it makes an even bigger difference on the bigger saws, that ported 046 just loves it.

Hey, I'm happy as a pig in **** for you, I know how much you love those 346s, and to have a Mastermind ported one, how much better can it get!!!!

Enjoy ... and you just know that 562 is next ....

That's right, my friend! With 3 of them here, I'll rarely use the other saws. :D

Last week i used the saw to cut and limb 42 trees (wood for the sawmill, limbed under the bark!) in a day, all spruces or black spruces. In total, it was 60m3, and i wasnt too tired at the end of the day. But the most impressive part: I only used 6l (1gal) of fuel! That's just incredible for me. I really need a second 346 for backup.

I have a 550xp and its a great little saw, l have never owned or run a 346xp but l kinda want one. After seeing that Dan Henry 346 in Capitanhaddoc's vid l was sold. lt still seems the Husky crowd prefers 346xp over 550xp. l wonder whether a clever builder could put the AT system from a 550 on a 346. When saw lovers talk huskies the 346 always gets the nodd.
Don't think we'll ever see anyone adding AT to a 346xp.

The 550xp in a great saw, get yours ported and it'll be close...

When I had the 45cc top end ported on my OE it was strongest at around 14.8K. None of my 346s' would cut very will tuned only to 12K. I'd say you have a carb problem.
I don't really think it's a "problem" with the carb , the saw runs /idles great , and has good power . It just seems too lean , if I tune it higher in the rpm's . What did the stock OE's generally tune at , rpm wise ?

I don't really think it's a "problem" with the carb , the saw runs /idles great , and has good power . It just seems too lean , if I tune it higher in the rpm's . What did the stock OE's generally tune at , rpm wise ?
Stock OE rpm is 14,700 for the early ones, might have been a bit lower for the later ones, but still over 14K. Lean yours out some, as long as it's 4 stroking it's OK. Yours isn't making the power it could, set that rich.

Have you tried another tach to verify the low rpm?

This isn't sounding normal at all.

Latest posts

Back