Mastermind Meets The Dolmar PS-6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you read what I wrote?

At bdc the pressure is atmospheric and not flowing. The strato draws from bdc until trans close. At which point the case is filled.

Yep, I read what you wrote.

Maybe some of you will remember when Timberwolf did some great velocity charts of the flow through the transfers. It showed maximum velocity in the transfers just before BDC and then the velocity slowly dropping until the transfer ports closed. The charts were taken at maximum horsepower, so they were after the point of maximum torque - or peak delivery ratio. That's why the charts showed that the flow into the cylinder continued right up until the transfers closed. (and is illustrative of why extra time/area for the transfers is used to increase top end power - to continue allowing the flow into the cylinder)

If he had taken the readings at the point of peak delivery ratio it would have shown the flow just coming to a stop as the transfers closed.

If he had taken the readings below peak torque it would have shown a reversal of the flow. The transfers would have been open too long and the rising piston would have begun to suck the mixture out of the cylinder and back down into the crankcase.

I'm gonna take the linkage off of the strato butterfly....

Why all the overthinking this thing? It's so simple.

Low pressure in the crankcase.......fresh air in the uppers......mix in the crankcase.

Pressure reverses........fresh air into the chamber.......mix follows.

What I see now is an entirely conventional saw with a minimal-function strato system tacked on - just enough to avoid a cat or that stupid SLR thing, but not enough to derive any performance benefit like the Huskys. The implementation has pluses (small volume case, quad closed xrfs) and minuses (restrictive lower transfers and conservative port timing).

As a conventional saw it should respond to conventional mods. Too bad, I was hoping there was something interesting here.

You fellers think too much.

I'm gonna go play some chess....
I think... I think you have a hard nut to crack on this one Mastermind!
When my saw is properly run in by me I will probably drill out the holes in the inner part of the muffler a fraction more. Not removing it completely. A second step will be to open up the 'hood' that is covering the air filter and checking for excessive material in the air intake valves.

Wolter

What are you thoughts on the saw as a whole? Some say the weight an inboard will impact handling. Is the easy start system useful or just a gimmick? Does the master control switch function well? I know these aren't related to your business but are important in considering this saw. Thanks

What I see now is an entirely conventional saw with a minimal-function strato system tacked on - just enough to avoid a cat or that stupid SLR thing, but not enough to derive any performance benefit like the Huskys. The implementation has pluses (small volume case, quad closed xrfs) and minuses (restrictive lower transfers and conservative port timing).

As a conventional saw it should respond to conventional mods. Too bad, I was hoping there was something interesting here.

Why do you state small volume case? The crank is not filled or stuffed. I suppose having a 35mm stroke instead of a 36 like some other 59-60cc saws makes the crank cavity smaller. Or are you thinking the volume of various passages?

What are you thoughts on the saw as a whole? Some say the weight an inboard will impact handling. Is the easy start system useful or just a gimmick? Does the master control switch function well? I know these aren't related to your business but are important in considering this saw. Thanks

Seems well built.....

What easy start? I just pulled the rope.

I've not used it enough to comment on how it handles.

I like the master control setup.

Why do you state small volume case? The crank is not filled or stuffed. I suppose having a 35mm stroke instead of a 36 like some other 59-60cc saws makes the crank cavity smaller. Or are you thinking the volume of various passages?
I should have said "relatively small" - they appeared to have made some attempt to reduce volume, but did not go to that much effort. I think the transfer entrance being restrictive is part of that, in that there are no scalloped out entrances.

Dolmars easy start is a 2 part system. A spring in the recoil that acts similar to the stihl elastostart handle...and a ignition coil that fires a hotter spark at low RPM. not much to it. Very simple system that seems to work well especially on warm startups

Dolmars easy start is a 2 part system. A spring in the recoil that acts similar to the stihl elastostart handle...and a ignition coil that fires a hotter spark at low RPM. not much to it. Very simple system that seems to work well especially on warm startups
Having tried this saw, the system works very well to me. Doesn't lad up and release like others, which I hate. Just pulls easier at cold starts and at hot starts you just lift up, no need to yank it.

I'd personally prefer not having the thread accumulate 25 pages of fart jokes in the meantime, as it makes it difficult to look through later.

Not to call you out or nothing.....

But did you even look at the thread over there, or is that just speculation that in the 9 pages of that thread, there are 25 pages of "fart jokes"?

I'd much rather sift thru 25 pages of flaming fecal matter posts than view one single post filled with innacuracy, or stare at a "Is a 660 a good saw"thread, or watch 20 envious guys jump on a person for a craigslist buy that they didn't see first, so it must be "stolen" and are demanding the serial number, or see somebody list a saw for sale, then get beat down for asking too much, or selling it too cheap.... I could go on for days, but I won't.... You get the point.

But did you even look at the thread over there, or is that just speculation that in the 9 pages of that thread, there are 25 pages of "fart jokes"?

I'd much rather sift thru 25 pages of flaming fecal matter posts than view one single post filled with innacuracy, or stare at a "Is a 660 a good saw"thread, or watch 20 envious guys jump on a person for a craigslist buy that they didn't see first, so it must be "stolen" and are demanding the serial number, or see somebody list a saw for sale, then get beat down for asking too much, or selling it too cheap.... I could go on for days, but I won't.... You get the point.
The comment was made that in the old days such a thread would be at 9 pages, and that on the other site it was - so I looked. Sure enough, 9 pages with half as many posts per page. In all it had 2.5 X the responses but not really any more content. The character of the filler was different, and if that's your cup of tea then enjoy it - it certainly doesn't matter to me as I won't be reading it.

The things you find annoying here bug me too, but not nearly enough to want to hang out with the "I have a potty mouth" crowd. The weather will be turning soon and I won't have as much time for this distraction anyway.

You should see the look on guys faces when I ask to see their CCW to purchase a saw from me.

Latest posts

Back