Mastermind Meets The J'Red 2188

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize this is an older thread but the issue of a larger carb wasn't really addressed.

When you increase the venturi diameter, you decrease the intake charge velocity given the same volume of air is passing through it but it has more space to occupy. This reduces natural supercharging (pulse wave stacking as the intake slams shut causes a high pressure zone behind the piston due to the mass of the intake charge trying to keep it's velocity), and also reduces the responsiveness of the venturi itself to correctly meter the fuel as the charge has a lower vacuum signal across the jets.

There's a big difference in having enough carb and having too much. Too much carb causes more problems than not having enough (assuming you're not so under fed as to run lean). Since these are tuned for WOT more than anything, the midrange isn't as much of an issue like it is with cars, but there's a lot of folks running 750cfm Holley's who'd be far better served with a 650 given the engine they've got it on. Being able to dial in enough fuel for a given bore diameter is likely the problem with smaller chainsaw carbs rather than them acting as some kind of restriction; but that's just a slightly educated guess as I have no experience with the little carbs beyond turning the needles.

Everything's gotta be bigger!! I did chuckle at the saws from the 80's had bigger carbs comment. They used more fuel, made less power, and turned lower RPM's in the cut - yeah, that's exactly the example we should be following... :laugh:

It's too bad having an intake stack would mean putting the air filter out in space above the piston. I bet you could see some healthy gains increasing the distance from the carb to the piston.

A couple of years ago I thought I had stumbled onto something that was game changing.

I accidentally cut too much out of a squish band......and ended up with more clearance that I normally would use.

The saw still had great power.......but it seemed to idle better.

In my mind it was something worth noting, and I posted about it. Within a few minutes my buddy Dennis Cahoon was calling me on the phone.

He told me that no matter what I "thought"......I was going backward.

We had a great talk......and have since had many more.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes that gut feeling is way wrong. Tighter squish clearance, coupled with a flat squish band allows us to run a higher compression ratio without worrying about detonation. More compression always makes more power.

Well you did this one right Randy. I think I just added a video of it. It's broken in now and wears a 24 Cannon sbp when not falling.I tried taking a video of it yesterday but the trees I have to cut right now are poplar and the saw falls through them so fast that it doesn't make sense to use the big saw.

Latest posts

Back