Mastermind Meets The Stihl MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. So when you cut the sqish band you allow more space to compensate for not having a base gasket; is that right? I'm a newbie at this stuff, just trying to learn. Also, when I get the cash up I am going to have to send you my 460. That saw sounds awesome!:rock:

Cutting the squish band makes the combustion chamber smaller.....thereby raising the compression.

question ,if doing 2 of the same saws at same time ,can you copy your work onto the next one to save yourself some time ,or are the tolerences so tight you need to remeasure each one to get good results ?

question ,if doing 2 of the same saws at same time ,can you copy your work onto the next one to save yourself some time ,or are the tolerences so tight you need to remeasure each one to get good results ?

That's how I do it.......I did three 066s a few weeks ago and just cut all three squish bands the same and raised the transfers to the same height. Then I check them all to see how close I was.....

Just wanted to say Ty for this thread. So now with takeing the base plate out do u have to remove material out of the material out of the top of the cylinder. Also by putting on the 46 p and c do u have to remove any material lot of the crankcase for clearance for the piston. And last but not least do u have to remove any plastic off of the cover for that to fit fine. Ty again for this thread and sharing ur knowledge and Ty for any help that u may be able to give me.

Just wanted to say Ty for this thread. So now with takeing the base plate out do u have to remove material out of the material out of the top of the cylinder. Also by putting on the 46 p and c do u have to remove any material lot of the crankcase for clearance for the piston. And last but not least do u have to remove any plastic off of the cover for that to fit fine. Ty again for this thread and sharing ur knowledge and Ty for any help that u may be able to give me.

I'm a little lost on some of your questions.

The top cover does need a trim, and the base must be clearanced on the sides a bit to clear the case....

Update: Washington State

The final leg of this saw is complete. Home now in the Pacific Northwest.

Dressed it out with a 3/4 wrap and 30" Sugihara bar.

Nice new sticker... thanks a million Randy!View attachment 235463

The final leg of this saw is complete. Home now in the Pacific Northwest.

Dressed it out with a 3/4 wrap and 30" Sugihara bar.

Nice new sticker... thanks a million Randy!View attachment 235463

Here's your pic my friend.

attachment.php

That Sugihara looks real good on it. :rock:

have you had a chance to start on the next 440 hybrid from washington state :msp_biggrin:

do your magic sir ,make wood fear this little saw :rock:

Here's your jug and slug I spoke with you about.....

See that scoring on the piston?

4404604002.jpg

It was beginning to leave transfer on the plating. I would say you saved this jug when you pulled it down. A new Meteor piston and a little cleanup and it's back in business.

4404604001.jpg

Looks like the flywheel was rubbing as well. Did the mains go out or the ignition get loose?

I'm not sure on the history of the saw in the pic JJ. That jug and slug came from a 460 and is being transplanted onto that 440.

Back