Mastermind Meets The Stihl MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you dont mind me askin Randy,what was your numbers on the hybrid? Did i look over em?
I am gettin ready to build one myself and just wantin some ideas. It looks real good, how did it feel torque wise compared to 044?

If you dont mind me askin Randy,what was your numbers on the hybrid? Did i look over em?
I am gettin ready to build one myself and just wantin some ideas. It looks real good, how did it feel torque wise compared to 044?

The hybrids I build run as good as a well ported 046. The 044 ain't get a chance against one of em. I'd have to get my notes outta the shop to be 100% sure but of the top of my head the numbers I use in these saws are

Ex. 102
Tr. 118
In. 80

Compression 190

Ignition .020 advanced at the key.

I'm not sure on the history of the saw in the pic JJ. That jug and slug came from a 460 and is being transplanted onto that 440.

Well, the flywheel on the saw in the picture has been rubbing against something at some point. I'm sure you've checked the bearings out real good.
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't ever modify a used saw, or at least a used saw that I wasn't putting new bearings and seals in...

The hybrids I build run as good as a well ported 046. The 044 ain't get a chance against one of em. I'd have to get my notes outta the shop to be 100% sure but of the top of my head the numbers I use in these saws are

Ex. 102
Tr. 118
In. 80

Compression 190

Ignition .020 advanced at the key.

What did you use for the spacers at the muffler and does it make them any harder to start by advancing timing?

Well, the flywheel on the saw in the picture has been rubbing against something at some point. I'm sure you've checked the bearings out real good.
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't ever modify a used saw, or at least a used saw that I wasn't putting new bearings and seals in...

And that is why I rebuild so many bottom ends. I have guys send saws here that aren't in any condition for a woods port. I tell them I can either rebuild them or send em home..... :msp_wink:

What did you use for the spacers at the muffler and does it make them any harder to start by advancing timing?

I made the spacers on the lathe. On the timing advance........it ain't for every saw. I only set a saw up that way if the owner is well versed in using a performance saw. It could run a little hotter and, yeah.....it can bite your hand starting it.

And that is why I rebuild so many bottom ends. I have guys send saws here that aren't in any condition for a woods port. I tell them I can either rebuild them or send em home..... :msp_wink:

You wouldnt be talking bout my 066 in vain would ya?:msp_sneaky:Ha. New topend, new bottom end, new attitude!:rock:Cant wait to unbox her, will prob be beating down the post office door in the morning.

Looks like the flywheel was rubbing as well. Did the mains go out or the ignition get loose?

this bottom end had bad main bearings when i got it ,good eye mr JJ,they were replaced with crank all new oem stihl,on the flywheel do the scratches hurt power on ignition ?

on the transfer on piston i didnt even inspect it when took off my 460 ,it was running good at teardown and didnt even think it could be on its way out ,maybe ive been running the orange bottle stihl oil ,i think i may change over to the ultra after seeing all the carbon build up ,i hear it doesnt carbon up like the old stuff in the orange bottle

wow i dint realize how dirty the saw was under the plastic ,it wasnt like that when i swapped the crank out last winter

Last edited:
You wouldnt be talking bout my 066 in vain would ya?:msp_sneaky:Ha. New topend, new bottom end, new attitude!:rock:Cant wait to unbox her, will prob be beating down the post office door in the morning.

Oh no Chad. Not just yours. I see saws show up quite often that need more than a woods port. I end up rebuilding a lot of carbs, replacing fuel and impulse lines, basically whatever it takes for the saw to be in top condition when it leaves here. I recently sent a 660 out to a member that the rings never sealed up properly in. It's back for a new set of rings on my dime. The saw left here with 200psi and when I got it back it had 180.....that taught me to be even more thorough in my work. I'm not above making a mistake but at the same time I don't mind doing whatever it takes to set things right.

this bottom end had bad main bearings when i got it ,good eye mr JJ,they were replaced with crank all new oem stihl,on the flywheel do the scratches hurt power on ignition ?

on the transfer on piston i didnt even inspect it when took off my 460 ,it was running good at teardown and didnt even think it could be on its way out ,maybe ive been running the orange bottle stihl oil ,i think i may change over to the ultra after seeing all the carbon build up ,i hear it doesnt carbon up like the old stuff in the orange bottle

No that flywheel will be fine. I'll slick it up a tad to be sure the coil spacing is just right. I use Belray H1R and really like it because of how clean it runs. I even mix it at 36:1... I can't decide to go with 40:1 or 32:1 so I figured I'd compromise with myself. :laugh:

For breaking in an engine I keep non-synthetic oil around and run a few tanks thru my freshly rebuilt saws. I think the rings seal a bit faster that way.

Oh no Chad. Not just yours. I see saws show up quite often that need more than a woods port. I end up rebuilding a lot of carbs, replacing fuel and impulse lines, basically whatever it takes for the saw to be in top condition when it leaves here. I recently sent a 660 out to a member that the rings never sealed up properly in. It's back for a new set of rings on my dime. The saw left here with 200psi and when I got it back it had 180.....that taught me to be even more thorough in my work. I'm not above making a mistake but at the same time I don't mind doing whatever it takes to set things right.

Your integrity doesnt surprise me at all. I have heard/experienced nothing but good things. I took it out for a couple mins today. Hooked up the tach too. Shouldve done that before I cut with it but i had a little helper with me too. He had his toy craftsman saw with him. His was running strong!:msp_biggrin:

When I got home and hooked up the tach it was idling around 2500rpms and would run out near 14000. It was very brief as I didnt want to run it out of the wood.:clap: Hope to go out more and do some real cutting! I had no time today.

Your integrity doesnt surprise me at all. I have heard/experienced nothing but good things. I took it out for a couple mins today. Hooked up the tach too. Shouldve done that before I cut with it but i had a little helper with me too. He had his toy craftsman saw with him. His was running strong!:msp_biggrin:

When I got home and hooked up the tach it was idling around 2500rpms and would run out near 14000. It was very brief as I didnt want to run it out of the wood.:clap: Hope to go out more and do some real cutting! I had no time today.

Back that puppy down to 13,600 or so. No need for it to rev that high.......it's just that everywhere is downhill from here till you get out west. :laugh:

Back that puppy down to 13,600 or so. No need for it to rev that high.......it's just that everywhere is downhill from here till you get out west. :laugh:

how high are you? i like to quote 1776 ft but it's really 1720-1800 on my land.

i once made the mistake of calling it a mountain to a friend who lives in Provo Utah, in the shadows of the Wasatch. He just laughed and said, "You mean hills". :laugh:

how high are you? i like to quote 1776 ft but it's really 1720-1800 on my land.

i once made the mistake of calling it a mountain to a friend who lives in Provo Utah, in the shadows of the Wasatch. He just laughed and said, "You mean hills". :laugh:

I'm about 1900 feet here. I normally set saws a tad fat before shipping them out.....sometimes I forget that though. :(

I sent an MS261 to Australia.....It left here tuned to 13,800......at sea level there.......15,600. :msp_scared:

No worries, you cant guesstimate how they are gonna run every time. Thats precisely why i bought the tach. Didnt want and cant afford to send her back for a reconstruction.:msp_scared: Hopefully things will seat well and she will only get better.

ANYHOW...Back to the hybrid!

I'm about 1900 feet here. I normally set saws a tad fat before shipping them out.....sometimes I forget that though. :(

I sent an MS261 to Australia.....It left here tuned to 13,800......at sea level there.......15,600. :msp_scared:

Man your up in the clouds :)

I'm less than 1/2 mile from salt water maybe 200 feet if Im lucky :)

Yowza! :cool2:

Latest posts

Back