Maybe the saws need beer too?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemandan

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Seems they don't start well in the heat. Had some difficulty starting a few things yesterday which have always fired quickly. Vapor Lock?

Vapor lock is a possibility. Saws just don't run as well when it's hot. The climber I contracted from Northern KS a few years ago loved to work in the cold. I would be #####ing because it was in the 20's (I am one of those tropical white people) and he would be telling me he was loving it. He said the air is thinner and the saws run better. :)

They do run much better in the cold IMO.

a very knowledgeable tree guy once told me that when you put the saws down for a few minutes in the summer, to keep them out of the sun. they will stay cooler in the shade, and start easier. at first i didn't believe him, but now i will search out a good shady spot to lay the saw in untill i fire it back up. works for me, not sure how much credit there is behind it.

Vapor lock is a possibility. Saws just don't run as well when it's hot. The climber I contracted from Northern KS a few years ago loved to work in the cold. I would be #####ing because it was in the 20's (I am one of those tropical white people) and he would be telling me he was loving it. He said the air is thinner and the saws run better. :)

They do run much better in the cold IMO.

If I remember my thermodynamics correctly, cold air is actually denser, but holds less moisture. So the saw should actually be running a bit richer in cold weather?

If I remember my thermodynamics correctly, cold air is actually denser, but holds less moisture. So the saw should actually be running a bit richer in cold weather?

Right you are. He did say the air was denser. I got it wrong as I am certainly no cold weather expert... ;)

Back