McCulloch BP-1 update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though not quite as complicated as the 3-25 or 47 etc. this saw is pretty complicated in it's own right. After a few false starts I got as far as I could for today.

168476d1295144918-dscn2956-jpg

168477d1295144921-dscn2958-jpg

168478d1295144925-dscn2957-jpg

Mark

Good new / Bad news today.

I got it mostly together today, to the point where I could try to start it and it did start and run for a few seconds. Upon restarting, the recoil spring failed.

When I tore it down far enough to fix the spring (which is some task on these saws) I noticed some metal to metal dragging and kept dismantling until I got to the bottom of it. This required stripping it down most of the way again, and finally I found that when the clutch was tightened, the counter weight behind it was touching the metal body of the seal behind it. I did manage to get the seal fully seated, clutch back in place, gearbox installed, and repaire the spring.

My USC did not arrive as I'd hoped but I did manage to get the carburetor cleaned up and put back together. There was just a little guess work needed as the carburetor on this one is just a bit different from anything else you've seen. In the little bit of run time I got (started with a little prime directly in the carburetor) it seemed to pull fuel from the tank without issues.

Here are a couple of views of the carburetor, and how it looked at the end of the day today.

169404d1295754666-dscn2959-jpg

169401d1295754656-dscn2961-jpg

169403d1295754663-dscn2962-jpg

169402d1295754659-dscn2967-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Nice job. Everytime I see your workmanship or your shop, I begin to wish I was half as organized and neat. If I ever run across a BP-1 for sale, you'll be the first to know. Ron

I have a (bad) habit of starting a saw without the muffler when I'm in a project like this. Not sure I will do that again...

Even with just a few seconds of running the acceleration is unbelievable.

Mark

They seem to accelerate faster than most saws do without the B/C! It's instantly at 10-11K when you hit the trigger.

I spent a little more time with it last night. I certainly got the automatic oiler working, I will have to turn that down a little bit I'm sure.

Now is seems to run extremely rich, even flooding the engine out after bit of running. I removed the carburetor and readjusted the metering lever, initially I had it flush with the carburetor body and finally set it about .030" lower. Better but still too much fuel...

I also need to modify the H jet as the plastic adjuster knob has long since turned to dust, and there is no way to adjust it with a screw driver when the saw is assembled.

Just for kicks, I pinched the fuel line a couple of times to reduce the fuel flow and when that thing hits it's stride it really screams.

I'll be home again on Friday or Saturday and home to get this thing right finally. I'm hoping one more trip through the carburetor and a mod the the H jet will do it. I'd love to be able to put this one into a piece of wood and see what it can do.

Mark

I was looking over the IPL yesterday trying to decide what parts I needed to order to make sure I could keep this saw running for a while. Looking at the carburetor it suddenly dawned on me, I had removed the welch plugs to give the carburetor a good cleaning and....forgot to replace them.

Took it apart again this morning, installed the welch plugs, soldered a screw to the H jet so I could adjust it when the saw is all put together, and voila, a fine running BP-1. After seeing Jim's with the yellow and black logo bar I thought it looked pretty good and I thought I had one somewhere so a little poking around and lo and behold I had an NOS one that everyone else overlooked on e-bay a while back so I got it very reasonably.

I did take it out and cut a little bit but I didn't seem to be oiling properly. I know the oil pump is working, and I had to work on a little leak from the oil tank anyway so I removed the bar again and noticed the oil hole in the bar did not line up with the oiler outlet in the saw. A couple of additional holes later the bar is ready for it's new home and I'll have a fine new addition to my family.

170219d1296353147-dscn2974-jpg

170218d1296353144-dscn2975-jpg

170217d1296353141-dscn2976-jpg

170220d1296353151-dscn2977-jpg

170221d1296353154-dscn2988-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Great job Mark. I knew that old 47 would take a back seat to the BP-1. Hopefully we can have a GTG this spring or summer and show off some saws and tell lies about the one that got away.

One that won't get away, a Jonsered 1020 to go with the two McCulloch Pro Mac 1000's. All I need now is the Partner P-100 and I hopefully will have a complete set.

Great Job Mark! The saw looks very nice.
I'm headed to a GTG tomorrow with mine. I can't wait to run it.
I'll post up some "cutting" video.
I think they are pretty darn sleek looking, for being almost 50 years old!

**!!I still need a pair of Connecting rods for another BP1 project!!**
Jim

Great Job Mark! The saw looks very nice.
I'm headed to a GTG tomorrow with mine. I can't wait to run it.
I'll post up some "cutting" video.
I think they are pretty darn sleek looking, for being almost 50 years old!

**!!I still need a pair of Connecting rods for another BP1 project!!**
Jim

I wish someone would reverse engineer this and build more. Flood the market with them so we can buy them at homer depot. :)

I was looking over the IPL yesterday trying to decide what parts I needed to order to make sure I could keep this saw running for a while. Looking at the carburetor it suddenly dawned on me, I had removed the welch plugs to give the carburetor a good cleaning and....forgot to replace them.

Took it apart again this morning, installed the welch plugs, soldered a screw to the H jet so I could adjust it when the saw is all put together, and voila, a fine running BP-1. After seeing Jim's with the yellow and black logo bar I thought it looked pretty good and I thought I had one somewhere so a little poking around and lo and behold I had an NOS one that everyone else overlooked on e-bay a while back so I got it very reasonably.

I did take it out and cut a little bit but I didn't seem to be oiling properly. I know the oil pump is working, and I had to work on a little leak from the oil tank anyway so I removed the bar again and noticed the oil hole in the bar did not line up with the oiler outlet in the saw. A couple of additional holes later the bar is ready for it's new home and I'll have a fine new addition to my family.

170219d1296353147-dscn2974-jpg

170218d1296353144-dscn2975-jpg

170217d1296353141-dscn2976-jpg

170220d1296353151-dscn2977-jpg

170221d1296353154-dscn2988-jpg

Mark

Terrific work Mark - well done on getting this saw back to life. It would be great to get over to the US and see your McCulloch collection one day.

Congrats on the BP-1

That bar is the icing on the cake. Nice saw.
Lets see some vids. !

If the weather will cooperate next weekend we'll have to see if Mweba has some sticks to cut as he has the video mojo all down. My son Josh also has a new (to him) Jonsered 2188 and the other son Jeff has the rebuilt Montgomery Wards branded 600 Series McCulloch to try.

My wife said she'd shoot some video if she could find a blank tape...

Mark

I got to put mine in some wood today ay Blood's GTG.
It's got a carb issue I have to work out, But It was a sceam to run!

[video=youtube;4ApRGIPm0Ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ApRGIPm0Ls[/video]
I might have to reload the video, it is taking forever to load.

Last edited:
Back