McCulloch Chain Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually lay the chain on my work bench and put a black mark under one of the drive links and another mark on the drive link, line the up and start counting....usually twice if the numbers match, more if they don't..
I have several strips of 6mm plywood 50mm wide & 1metre long with a nail driven in one end, each is marked off in respect of the chain pitch size, the chain is hung over with the nail between 2 DL's the wood is hung vertically a careful count of the DL's & a mark on the wood at 10 DL's, multiples = 20 DL's per mark, stretch can be gauged in regard to the position of the marks with the DL being a little way past the mark ie 3 marks +2 = 64 Dl's; saves having to count each pair of DL's

Just as long as you get the right number of links. I put a new chain on my 038 magnum recently and wondered why it was so hard to put on, checked it and it had 71 links. Maybe with a little use it might stretch, it's not tight on the bar or anything.

Back