McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the saddest day of my chainsaw life...101 kart saw passed away last night at 7:33 PM CDT.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Oh my goodness Mark! Sad day for sure :msp_sad: It will come back together some day. What are those little pins that did the damage?

Thanks Joey! I just hope I can get it back together. It was my first Mac tear down and it was difficult, but I finally got it.

I'd definitely make sure to get that rough spot beveled down nice and smooth on the exhaust port before committing a new piston and rings to it. The transfer should clean up easily.

Now back to mourning...

rk what or why would it move like that. I know you are an experienced builder so this can't be to common.

That would be extremely frustrating I'm sure

ethar, pm me your name and address, I've got a PM610 that I tore down into parts and got the piston/rod out of it. As for paying for it, don't worry about that right now. I'll remember you owe me a favor some time. Like maybe buying a PM700 from me...

Ok fellas, I finally got a chance to tear my Pro Mac 805 down and here is what I found. I don't recall seeing many cylinders or pistons look like this, however I haven't been on this site too awful long either. What's your thoughts? I believe it will clean up and I can get away with a piston and rings but we'll see.

Intake side of the cylinder

Intake side of piston

Exhaust side of cylinder

Exhaust side of piston

Cowroy, this should clean up okay. BTW great photos as they show the three internal differences between a late model 82cc MAC and the older ones. The slight raise in the intake port (but only for about half the width)*; the side DSP port; and the Q exhaust port.

*The fact that MAC engineers only took this "slot" partially across is one of the reasons that other than smoothing port castings a little I leave things pretty much alone on my MAC cylinders. They certainly knew more about what they are doing than I would. There maybe a manufacturing reason for not taking the "slot" all the way across the port but I doubt it which leads me to conclude it is either performance related, longevity related or both.

Mark, I feel your pain.

Ron

cowroy, I've been digging through the parts I've got and found that I do have an extra good used piston. It came out of an engine that had a bad cylinder (pitting in the chrome plate) The piston should clean right up as good as new with a real light hand buffing with a rag.

I think it's a B piston too.

Ron, as for the q port, if they did it all the way across, you'd be looking at the ring catching at the worst, and having to run a pipe at the best... even the 850 cylinder I just did with the opened up and stepped exhaust port isn't as tall as that notch/q port in the picture.

So your idea of it being what it is for a reason is valid...

cowroy, I've been digging through the parts I've got and found that I do have an extra good used piston. It came out of an engine that had a bad cylinder (pitting in the chrome plate) The piston should clean right up as good as new with a real light hand buffing with a rag.

I think it's a B piston too.

Ron, as for the q port, if they did it all the way across, you'd be looking at the ring catching at the worst, and having to run a pipe at the best... even the 850 cylinder I just did with the opened up and stepped exhaust port isn't as tall as that notch/q port in the picture.

So your idea of it being what it is for a reason is valid...

Kyle, I was referring to the intake. Ron

hi guys , I have just bought a McCulloch 47a , does any one have op manual or any info that could help , Thanks Bailes

Hey everyone I acquired another Mac today its a mini Mac 25 not sure of year and noture if it runs even but when its free who cares ! How were these as far as the small saws go ?

Hey everyone I acquired another Mac today its a mini Mac 25 not sure of year and noture if it runs even but when its free who cares ! How were these as far as the small saws go ?

There's a thread dedicated to the devil's hairball in the stickys section. Not too far below this thread.

When they run, they're handy and all that... when they don't, some don't even bother with them... they will shoot the dang things on sight. Or bash it into pieces. Or as another member here does, he throws them right into the trash.

There's a thread dedicated to the devil's hairball in the stickys section. Not too far below this thread.

When they run, they're handy and all that... when they don't, some don't even bother with them... they will shoot the dang things on sight. Or bash it into pieces. Or as another member here does, he throws them right into the trash.

Lol well I guess that sums it up have a great table ornament. Anyone want to buy it for their table ? Lol

Latest posts

Back