McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather have a restored 797 for a table ornament. :smile2:

Lee

Right, not restored, but...

275773d1359248094-2013-01-26_19-11-10_516-jpg

Doing some more cleaning on the Stewart Blackout 797 and found some casting marks I've never heard referenced and am curious.

On the flywheel side near the intake ducting is EE.

attachment.php

On the boost port back-plate is a 1.

attachment.php

Thoughts?

My area is apparently full of 10-10's and not much else. I picked up another today. We've been running around all day and I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. This one has a CB clutch cover, but all of the brake parts are missing. The starter isn't rewinding, so I'm not sure about compression. I pulled just enough to see that it wasn't locked up.

The 10-10 I picked up last week is a pro mac, and it has low compression. I'm thinking I might go over the 10-10S engine I have and if it's any good, swap everything over. I'll have to pick up a manual oiler button/rod, since that's broken on the PM and the 10-10S was wrecked when I got it.

Doing some more cleaning on the Stewart Blackout 797 and found some casting marks I've never heard referenced and am curious.

On the flywheel side near the intake ducting is EE.

attachment.php

On the boost port back-plate is a 1.

attachment.php

Thoughts?

I just looked at two blocks and they both have
the EE cast into them. As for the boost port covers,
I have plain and some with the #1 and some with
the #2 cast into them. Not sure what they mean
but they're there.

Lee

Mark got the parts today was raining here today so no tree work. Just for s&g I put the carb on had to make the choke rod anyway a squirt of gas about 10 15 pulls later it fired over. Now it will start with the choke closed and 3/4 throttle just have to play with choke to keep running but give it full throttle it dies. Knew it had to be rebuilt any way but I figured I'd try it. Know it will run after rebuild. Thanks alot for your help.

Glad to help Virgil. I have some more LP chain from my travels this week, let me know if you want a few loops of safety type chain as I have more than enough.

On another note, I put some more photos over in my kart saw thread, but here it is back from the dead with a well worn Mac 40 in place of the 101. It is really not the same, stuff does not fly off the wall when I goose this one, but I will have something to play with next Saturday in Baraboo.

attachment.php

308838d1376184937-dscn0013-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Joey. My older son's car quit a while back. My wife said I needed to buy a new (to me) truck and sell the old one to Jeff. I got the "new" truck that evening...

Today she brought me lunch in the shop, said she figured I would not want to take time to come in to eat.

I am planning on keeping her.

Mark

Mark you clearly have a great family around you! Every time I have been to the mueseum you are surrounded by very nice people:rock:

Looked the latest new to me 10-10 over yesterday. It had a Mcculloch 16" sprocket nose bar on it and a loop of semi chisel safety chain. Had a devil of a time getting the clutch cover off due to corrosion in the bar stud holes. The muffler is a lost cause. The recoil was gummed up and the starter pawls were stuck. It uses the domed air filter, and I found a hole in the rear of the gas tank top. I can't figure out how it would have gotten a hole there since that area is covered by the af/carb cover. What I could see of the cylinder through the plug hole looks fine, but I think the exhaust port is full of rotten muffler. I may give this one to my uncle for a parts saw.

The 380 is running. Only issue I am having is it's popping at high speed and as it goes to idle. Have adjusted the carb no good. Thinking points may be alil off. Any suggestions. Last saw I had do this had a bad coil but it didn't have points. And I know from experience with cars worn points can cause this issue.

Hey All,

Just got back from vaca, promised the wife no computer...snuck it in here and there for some "likes"...nonetheless, did manage to keep the CAD fed over the last 10 days.

Before I left, picked up some goodies...

308908d1376253158-mac-parts-jpg

View attachment 308908

The jewel being the 105/125 muffler cover, but an all-around good score.

At the same stop, picked these out of the "junk" pile:

308910d1376253273-old-nasty-jpg

View attachment 308910

The 800 felt like it had good compression just flipping the flywheel, the 1-72 was complete...minus the pull cord...I'll always grab these just for the shields if nothing else.

Got into the 1-72 first, turns out corrosion had wasted away part of the tank on the muffler side. Repaired that, installed new fuel filter felt, new HL kit, good to go...

308911d1376253579-003-jpg

View attachment 308911

The 800 was just nasty dirty, with no starter or ignition. Thieved a starter off a SP80, changed the starter pawls to compensate for the shorter shaft. Ignition from a used up 850 in the parts box. The damaged clutch cover will have to stay for now. 170psi. One stripped bolt hole to repair. She's ugly on the clutch side, but she's a runner.

308912d1376253821-001-jpg

View attachment 308912

Brought some of the saws in to pressure wash the shop floor before I left...

308913d1376254430-004-jpg

View attachment 308913

-Andy

Last edited:
Back