McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone see these.
ODW

Yep.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Improvement to 250 manual oiler?

The manual oiler on my 250 works fine after I replaced the spring at the outlet check valve. The problem now lies with the large cavity the oil dumps into at the bar mount. The way it is now, you have to fill up the cavity before any oil is delivered to the bar/chain.

Is there a filler piece missing? Or, do I need to invent my own filler piece?

attachment.php

ODW Pics

I know I messed up Pogo's reply (sorry).

I hope I fixed my problem and you can see some of the pics.

I downloaded duplicate pics, on my first try) because I couldn't remember what I was doing.

AS couldn't figure out what I was doing either, so it blocked all the pics. When I looked at my
Attachment folder I saw multiples of the same pics. I deleted all the pics and re-downloaded what I wanted. Then re-linked the new pics.

It all shows up as good on me computer so I can't tell what I fixed and what I didn't.

Computers are for young people with clear minds.

ODW

ODW, not sure where you went wrong, but try following the link in my signature and see if that helps.

Great tutorial.

I believe the right click method for inline embedding requires the enhanced attachment feature to be disabled in a person's settings to get full sized inline embedding vs. just the thumbnails. At least it does in my situation with Firefox.

It's under "General Settings" all the way at the bottom of the page. Struggled with that for a long time after the format change and another member suggested I may be in the wrong mode..., and I was, of course. (Thanks parrisw!)

Sorry if it was posted in your thread somewhere and I'm repeating the info. I didn't read all the responses.

Last edited:
ODW - I can see your thumbnails and thanks to Pogo they appear automatically in his re-post. Any 10 Series LH starter can be made to work on that saw, but ones from the smaller displacement models will have to have two extra holes added for the fastener at the bottom of the cover, and one an the top / rear of the cover. I made a post a while back showing some templates I made to transfer the hole locations to the covers without them, but I cannot remember which thread it was in and can't locate it easily with the search. Sorry...

Hey, why not post them again here!?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Carl - I have never worried about a filler, all of the old McCulloch saws have that large reservoir and I just keep pumping until it starts coming out on the chain, and always remember to have a rag under the saw when you remove the bar.

Mark

Carl - I have never worried about a filler, all of the old McCulloch saws have that large reservoir and I just keep pumping until it starts coming out on the chain, and always remember to have a rag under the saw when you remove the bar.

Mark

'K I'll just make five minutes of pumping part of my 'preflight' checklist.:msp_rolleyes:

I'm just a kind of Oil! Now! kind of fellow.

I do, but it will be a couple days until I get home to send it.

Joey.

Dang. I'm putting one together right now. It's been over a year since I tore it down, I think an IPL might make it a little easier. lol
If I can't get one sooner, I'll give you a shout. Thanks! :cheers:

I do, but it will be a couple days until I get home to send it.

Joey.

Joey, nothing on those 805 decals yet...between vacation and catch-up I have yet to get there.

I'll try for the next few days though.

Does anyone else out there have an interest in a 805 decal set if I can get some made up?

Price would be somewhere around $12-16 for both the "Mountain" and the "Pro Mac" as a set.

I would need at least 10-12 sets "sold" to make it worth it with set-up/creation fees etc.

I personally have no need at this time...as the 805 I have has excellent decals...so it's more for you all.

-Andy

More PM850

I'm trying again.

attachment.php

I partialy disassembled the PM850 today.

attachment.php

The piston is in great shape.

attachment.php

The cylinder is also in great shape.

I couldn't get good shots of the piston and cylinder.

attachment.php

The clutch assembly looks like it is new.

In my first post I said that it had super compression with the decomp on or off. Well the decomp port was clogged with a chunk of carbon.

This saw appears to be very low milage. The decomp must have gotten clogged and the owner was trying to start it at full compression. He probably broke the starter assembly and finally gave up on the saw.

PS This post has both large and small Pics. If they don't all show up I would appreciate it if someone would let me know.

ODW
View attachment 309483View attachment 309479View attachment 309480View attachment 309482

Sorry: I forgot to thank everyone who informed and helped me with my Pic problem.

Thanks Guys

ODW

I'm trying again.

attachment.php

I partialy disassembled the PM850 today.

attachment.php

The piston is in great shape.

attachment.php

The cylinder is also in great shape.

I couldn't get good shots of the piston and cylinder.

attachment.php

The clutch assembly looks like it is new.

In my first post I said that it had super compression with the decomp on or off. Well the decomp port was clogged with a chunk of carbon.

This saw appears to be very low milage. The decomp must have gotten clogged and the owner was trying to start it at full compression. He probably broke the starter assembly and finally gave up on the saw.

PS This post has both large and small Pics. If they don't all show up I would appreciate it if someone would let me know.

ODW
View attachment 309483View attachment 309479View attachment 309480View attachment 309482

That's a nice right hand start clutch you have there!

1-42 questions

I have a decent 1-42 arriving in a few days that needs a little work.Also a 1-42 reprint parts list that should arrive today or tomorrow.

Pics of saw showed it missing lower brace handle & Seller stated that in description.Yet the cover of parts list shows the saw without one.It also needs the oiler pump,so I might be asking you folks if you know where one's located. I also grabbed an excellent lower brace handle for 1-41,1-43,250 etc along with a few other things for $22 total.

What I'm wondering is was the 1-42 sold without that lower brace at first? I know it was only on the market from March 1961 to April 1962.

Thanks.

Last edited:
There were many of the 1-41 and 1-42 saws sold without the lower brace. You can add one if you like since there were perhaps 1,000 other models that used the same parts.

The saw only has a manual oiler, to access the piston if needed you will have to remove the oil tank and fuel tank from the front of the saw. Best was to start is clean the oil tank out as best you can, add some light weight oil (SAE10W or similar), and start pumping. If you are fortunate, it will start working.

If not, the next step would be to remove the external check valve, see Carl's 250 photos a few posts back for a good photo of the external check valve. Remove that cover, carefully remove the spring and check ball, spray a little WD40 down the passage, and hope for the best.

Mark

Latest posts

Back