McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to venture in here because I got my 1-40 to fire and run.
I know next to nothing about these saws. It appears to be the removable cylinder head. Definitely not running good, but making some noise for sure. Love an old stack muffler sometimes.

It was thrown in with a deal, and hey, never pass up a free saw! Well, unless it's a mini mac ;)

Got to put one more face with a name today.

Joey dropped by today on his way to NC. He brought me a sweet PM805 that he had put together for me. He tuned it on a beech; the saw was wearing a 28" bar and a new skip chain. It appeared to be really strong. We debated whether or not it was burning bar oil; time will tell. Joey also attempted to tune one of my PM800s but it would not run or cut worth a flip. I knew the chain wasn't the best but it was running on Saturday. Joey pulled the air filter cover and it looked like a mice nest with dust and chips mounded up in the shape of both intake runners. The worse I have every seen. Needless to say I was embarrassed but I did recognize the brown dust from the last thing I cut with it - a dry half rotten sycamore log the landowner ask me to buck. I am looking forward to running this 805 even though it is still good looking. I really enjoyed talking with Joey. He showed me another trick he learned for increasing the performance which I may incorporate in my next rebuild. We had lunch but given my recent injury and my work schedule we engaged in jawing instead of sawing.

A public thanks to Joey for the visit and the saw!

Ron

The pretty one is the 805, the other is one of my many 800s. I am always looking for differences and noted today the difference in fuel tanks. The 805 has a raised "belt" whereas the 800 has the typical smooth sides. Out of curiosity, I checked my other saws: the 800s are all belt-less, and my other 805, 8200 and DE80 all have the belt. Of course the DE80 intake is different. The 50/1 mix you see is for my Stihls and my SP125s (actually it is 40/1). I run 32/1 in my 82cc MACs as recommended by McCullloch.

IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0230.JPG

Had to venture in here because I got my 1-40 to fire and run.
I know next to nothing about these saws. It appears to be the removable cylinder head. Definitely not running good, but making some noise for sure. Love an old stack muffler sometimes.

It was thrown in with a deal, and hey, never pass up a free saw! Well, unless it's a mini mac ;)

I love the sound of the old Mac saws but the kid in the back ground telling you to stop made me laugh out loud!

Got to put one more face with a name today.

Joey dropped by today on his way to NC. He brought me a sweet PM805 that he had put together for me. He tuned it on a beech; the saw was wearing a 28" bar and a new skip chain. It appeared to be really strong. We debated whether or not it was burning bar oil; time will tell. Joey also attempted to tune one of my PM800s but it would not run or cut worth a flip. I knew the chain wasn't the best but it was running on Saturday. Joey pulled the air filter cover and it looked like a mice nest with dust and chips mounded up in the shape of both intake runners. The worse I have every seen. Needless to say I was embarrassed but I did recognize the brown dust from the last thing I cut with it - a dry half rotten sycamore log the landowner ask me to buck. I am looking forward to running this 805 even though it is still good looking. I really enjoyed talking with Joey. He showed me another trick he learned for increasing the performance which I may incorporate in my next rebuild. We had lunch but given my recent injury and my work schedule we engaged in jawing instead of sawing.

A public thanks to Joey for the visit and the saw!

Ron

The pretty one is the 805, the other is one of my many 800s. I am always looking for differences and noted today the difference in fuel tanks. The 805 has a raised "belt" whereas the 800 has the typical smooth sides. Out of curiosity, I checked my other saws: the 800s are all belt-less, and my other 805, 8200 and DE80 all have the belt. Of course the DE80 intake is different. The 50/1 mix you see is for my Stihls and my SP125s (actually it is 40/1). I run 32/1 in my 82cc MACs as recommended by McCullloch.

Thank you Ron for the kind words. Of coarse, I'm only treating you guys like friends. I'm also just passing on the kindness that others have given me.

Ron, it was a pleasure meeting you. I have a great deal of respect for the ministry work you're part of in your home town. I'd love to come visit again and see some of those other Big Macs you've got.

Joey

I been out sick as a dog but better now. I was going to post a vid of my 49 running last note. Saw was running great until the diaphragm fell apart. It has a metal tab that a lever rides inside of that controls a check ball for fuel flow. Needless to say it was flooding out bad. So I have to rebuild it once I get the parts. I have a small video I took before it started acting up but not much. It will be running again soon. I had to fix the oiler it was so weak it wouldn't pump hardly any oil but now it works great. Took it apart and cleaned it real good and put fresh oil in and now I get full pump strokes and plenty of oil.

Very interesting design on these saws. I took it all apart except for the piston and crank and now fully understand how this saw works. It is very easy to work on. Very peppy and strong in the cut. Can't wait to get her up and running again. I'll post a video when I get a chance. If anyone has a 73, 77, or even a 4-30 to sell drop me a line I like these big early saws. They are my favorites to run and or work on. Parts are not that hard to find really. I got lucky and found some good NOS parts for the 49. I'd like to find an owners manual but that may be tough. OK I'm out for now..

Nick

Sent from my S10 using Tapatalk

Here is a diaphragm I am in search of for my 49 saw. The metal tab fell off. Was thinking about gluing it back but it has started too seperate a bit under the tab where it was attached so I just need to find a new one or a good used one. Anyone got one of these they can let go of give me a shout...

Thanks,
Nick

e5a3uva2.jpg

I have you covered on the diaphragm Nick. Give me a few days to see what I can find for a bar as well, do you already have a .404 sprocket?

PM with an address and we can get this ball rolling.

Mark

Mark,
PM sent. Don't have a .404 sprocket on the 49 it is 1/2". That may come in handy sooner or later. I have a loop of some vintage 50's era 1/2" NOS chain I was going to run on it for the moment. I actually like running the larger chain it cuts just as well as the .404 I think. I need a NOS 1/2" sprocket for the new chain actually if to be found.

I recently got a Homelite Super 1130G that came with a .404 sprocket and I found an NOS 1/2" sprocket to put on it. ( I like Homelites as well) I think I have more 1/2" chain than .404 in my stash than anything. I just like running the larger chain for some reason or another. It cuts really well and I'm not into those other saws that have all those rpm's. Ii like to take my good old sweet time when I'm cutting, no rush whatsoever as I enjoy it too much.

Anyway I appreciate the helping hand for parts. The 49 was really running strong before the issue at hand. It's a neat old saw and fun to run it. Now I got the oiler working good it should be ready to go with the carb fixed. Anyway I'm out for now...

Thanks again,
Nick

Here is a diaphragm I am in search of for my 49 saw. The metal tab fell off. Was thinking about gluing it back but it has started too seperate a bit under the tab where it was attached so I just need to find a new one or a good used one. Anyone got one of these they can let go of give me a shout...

Thanks,
Nick

e5a3uva2.jpg

Drill and rivet on with a small alu rivet -and washer on the other side.make sure for correct possition.
E.

Latest posts

Back