McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody know where a guy might locate a 1-52? My grandfather had one and cut a lot of logs with it. He had his first heart attack trying to start that sob after a hot soak. My father left it behind when we moved, he hated that saw. I would very much like to own a running example in honor of all the hard work my grandfather did in his life. I understand that this model was only made for one year so it might be kind of hard to find, I would be looking for a non-running example that I could fix and get running myself in order to keep price down. Thanks guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a note to add, I'm located in Pepperell MA.

I am guessing that that was the $45 special of the century from Minneapolis? I begged the guy to ship it. No dice. If it is, that saw is worth a small fortune. I've not seen a Mcculloch (Partner) in that kind of shape ever. It was brand new. Unbelievable deal for someone.

I've an r440 from 1976 and it is a solid 6 cuber from the era. I'd run that bad boy if I were you. Take care of it and move it later if needed.

Cory

Thanks Cory,

You are correct, it was a smokin deal. Saw fired up on the 5th pull with some fresh gas. I was incorrect before in stating it was an 18" bar, I believe it is a 20".

I'm now in the hunt for a used 32"-36" bar for it. So if anyone has a one laying around they don't need please let me know.

My little guy approves of the new saw.
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Haven't posted in here for a while, so here's a story about the 3 Macs I picked up. The local shop is doing some "housecleaning" of junk saws/trimmers/etc. in the shop and shed. Tossing everything into a 5x10 trailer with tall sides. Asked the owner if I could go nosing through it, he said no problem. Mostly newer throwaway plastic poluans/macs/homelites, older stuff made up mostly of garden-varity homelite 360's, XL/XL-2's, XL-12's. I did find a rough but mostly complete C-51 and a XL-700 in there, but the 700 is missing a lot of parts. But as for McCulloch's in amongst the 610's, mini macs and PM 6's, a Mac Cat(?) some 10-10's and PM 55 I found 2 PM 700's and a 250. The 250 fired right up and runs, but the auto oiler doesn't work, some screws are missing, needs a new chain, and the spur sprocket needs to be replaced. It is pretty dirty and is beat-up looking but for $10 I won't argue. One PM700 is just a parts hulk, but in ok shape, the other is realy dirty and beat-up looking with a 20" bar but the recoil is loose and the coil/plugwire are gone, otherwise it's a complete saw. Nabbed them for $30 with some 024/026 sthil bits & pieces. Hopefully I can give them a better look-over, clean them up and take some pic's, right after I go get the poluan 306's my relative wants for parts out of the trailer...

A 20" bar on a 700 is not only a blast, its very hard to stop. Great handling for firewood that way as well.

I got a 16" bar right now on the PM 700 in my sig. One heck of a cookie cutter. Maybe put a 10-10 air filter cover on it for the vintage 50cc class saw races...though the decomp would be a give-away.

A lot of McCulloch saws have one number stamped through and a second one added. I have a 300 with 650 listed first and struck through with a line. I have seen some with three sets of numbers.

The basic block is the same a quite a few different saws and sometimes at the factory they would change their minds in the middle of a run and build some different models. I think sometimes they just collected all the parts they had laying around and assembled what ever saws they could from the left overs then stamped them accordingly.

A true 1-45 has thin rings. I don't know if there were other differences in the porting or not. With the same block. sometime you will find all three exhaust ports opened up, and other "detuned" models will have only two ports open.

Thick rings are 55123, thin rings are 48691.

Mark
thanks for the tip on the thin rings i wasn't aware of thin rings in chainsaws i thought only the kart engines had thin rings great

What do you mean you never heard a saw like this before? Are you new to McCulloch saws? McCulloch saws do have a sweet sound to them and some better than other's. That saw doesn't have much of a muffler on it so it makes some noise. One of my favorite sounding saws I have is my 740. It just has that deep throaty sound like a big block... I have a few that I haven't got running yet but one other with a nice sound is the 797. I don't run it much but it has a unique sound to it indeed. My 440 is just plain LOUD but when in the cut she sounds good... That is one saw that almost makes me wear ear plugs... ALMOST but Id rather hear it because it is like music to the ears. I been listening to loud music most of my life but I have the best hearing of anyone I know. I don't feel the need to wear ear plugs as most saws don't bother me. I think most like hearing the sound however there are quite a few that do wear protection...

Nick
i rely like the McCullough sound to i have been playing with d44 ,1-70,1-80,super55a saws i just love them

101 saw with a pipe, heavy and unbalanced brute. I'm glad I only have to make three quick cuts at a time.

DSC05543.JPG

I put new rings in the MAC 40 saw from last year, then I had to add a step to be able to hold it down while starting. No more laying it over a long and giving it a rip...

DSC05548.JPG

I like the sound of this one with the header.

I start the 101 with the right arm, the MAC 40 with the left just to give a more consistent work out.

Mark

Does anyone know how many drive links a chain should have for a 28" McCulloch OEM bar, 3/8" pitch on a 7 tooth rim PM700?

Latest posts

Back