McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short clutch cover with chain brake and no anti-vibe suggests either 7-10 or Pro Mac 55 or Pro Mac 60 but I don't see the compression release on the head. I suppose it could be a more ordinary 10-10A but that would not be nearly as interesting. I'm not sure what is going on with the wire and such running across the bottom.

That one is pretty rough.

Mark

So the old bloke who gave me the saw found the missing parts for it the other day. You are right, Mark. It's a Pro Mac 55. All the parts seem to be there and the carby etc seems to be in good condition, so I'll have a crack at assembling it. He doesn't know why it was disassembled, but presumably there is an issue of some sort with it. There does seem to be a good amount of compression in it. Anyway, I'll have a muck around with it and see what happens.

I've seen the list of parts manuals here http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McCulloch-Parts-Service-Repair-Manuals/Gas_Powered_Chain_Saws/ but there are 14 different variants of the Pro Mac 55. Is there much difference between the variants? Is there any way of picking the right variant without the serial number?

thanks guys

Most of the parts will be the same. Changes are usually minute in the 10 series. Sometimes McCulloch just updated part numbers without warning and sometimes they changed parts but not numbers. If you view all the ipls you will see what I am talking about.

hey guys i have a McCulloch question hear goes i have a 1-70 saw with external points (i just love em) and i need a crankshaft its 1.5 stroke will the super 44a or super 55a crankshaft work if they are also 87cc are they the same?

Finally got around to cleaning up the Macs picked out of the scrap trailer. Here's the 250.

250.jpg

250a.jpg
250b.jpg

Was in a little better shape after cleaning all the crap off it and in it. Seems like with alot of these old saws no one EVER bothered to clean them. Still needs a few things from another 250 I got before she's ready to go.

700.jpg

Also got around to tinkering with the PM 700's I pulled out of the trailer with the 250. I was going to write off the one in the foreground as a "parts hulk", but since it was in nicer shape and also still had it's ingtion yet I looked at it first. Gas tank was bone dry and clean so poured in some gas and put in some bar oil (and put on a oil cap too) it fired up, ran, oiled and idled. Took waht parts I needed from the other one and cleaned it up.

700a.jpg
700b.jpg

The wrap handle will need to be replaced as I found out it's cracked right above the bolt on the RH side and my jb weld fix wasn't a very good one. Will also try to find a clutch cover in better shape for it too. The 20" bar in the first pic is serviceable but needs a little TLC first and a new chain. Hopefully it can get done in the near future as there are some nice oak cull logs across the road to give this new toy a try.

got the 10-10S cleaned up today. still need to make a tank gasket and put some gas in it. have a pic of it with its bigger brother PM700.

IMG_20140810_195420.jpg IMG_20140810_195406.jpg IMG_20140810_195342.jpg

hey guys i have a McCulloch question hear goes i have a 1-70 saw with external points (i just love em) and i need a crankshaft its 1.5 stroke will the super 44a or super 55a crankshaft work if they are also 87cc are they the same?

According to the IPL's I have, the 1-70 and S44A (which also means the S55A too) use the same part number.

Mark

81614b.jpg

Had the PM 700 out cutting today for a little bit over cull log pile across the road. Got a loop of Oregon LGX chain on it and it blitzed right though some 18" red and white oak like butter. Found some chunks of cherry for a guy who wants it for grilling/smoking. Hauled out a few loads like this today.

81614c.jpg

Other than me flooding it trying to restart it, saw ran good with no other problems. Even fired right up on the very first pull. I think she was very happy to get a second lease on life insted of being scrapped.

Hey guys figured this would be a good place to look for information on the old mcculloch I've had hanging out in the garage for the last oh I dunno ten years. It always ran off and in when I've messed with it. Pretty sure the stop/start switch is bad on it. I disconnected it for now and it will run but I'm in need of a new fuel line (pretty sure I found one on eBay). Anyways I'm looking for some info on it. Anything really. Cc and also does this have an automatic oiler on top of the manual one? And how much of this thing do I need to take apart to get that switch out? I had the throttle out expecting it to come through but it was a no go. Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 41
Hey guys figured this would be a good place to look for information on the old mcculloch I've had hanging out in the garage for the last oh I dunno ten years. It always ran off and in when I've messed with it. Pretty sure the stop/start switch is bad on it. I disconnected it for now and it will run but I'm in need of a new fuel line (pretty sure I found one on eBay). Anyways I'm looking for some info on it. Anything really. Cc and also does this have an automatic oiler on top of the manual one? And how much of this thing do I need to take apart to get that switch out? I had the throttle out expecting it to come through but it was a no go. Thanks for any info!

Check your Inbox in the upper most black band at the top of the page, right side. There's a link to a manual that should help you get the switch out.

Back