McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's weird Ron. Any idea why?
Hi Tim,

Remember when we were young and our dad's would fill the outboard motor with fuel. It was strained through a funnel with a very fine copper mesh screen. Gasoline would pass through but water would not. It was a simple way to separate any water from the gas. I haven't seen one of those screens in a funnel for many years now.

Hydrocarbons are essentially nonpolar. Water, on the other hand, is very polar. As such, the intermolecular forces of the water can prevent it from passing through pin holes and seams in tanks and such. It is this force that gives fluids surface tension. Fuels can ease their way through much smaller openings than water. As such, it isn't a good idea to test (suspect) fuel tanks, particularly ones to be buried, by seeing if they will hold water.

A fun experiment with young kids is floating metal paper clips on water. Similar to a bug walking on water. A drop of soap (hydrophobic end) quickly relieves the top layer of surface tension and the clips drop instantaneously.

Hydrocarbons are essentially nonpolar. Water, on the other hand, is very polar. As such, the intermolecular forces of the water can prevent it from passing through pin holes and seams in tanks and such. It is this force that gives fluids surface tension. Fuels can ease their way through much smaller openings than water. As such, it isn't a good idea to test (suspect) fuel tanks, particularly ones to be buried, by seeing if they will hold water.

A fun experiment with young kids is floating metal paper clips on water. Similar to a bug walking on water. A drop of soap (hydrophobic end) quickly relieves the top layer of surface tension and the clips drop instantaneously.
Yeah, science!!

Hi Tim,

Remember when we were young and our dad's would fill the outboard motor with fuel. It was strained through a funnel with a very fine copper mesh screen. Gasoline would pass through but water would not. It was a simple way to separate any water from the gas. I haven't seen one of those screens in a funnel for many years now.

Don't know what he used for the outboard (Seagull 1-1/2 hp) but he always used a funnel like that for the Coleman stove naphtha. I haven't seen one of those funnels for years either.

"I usually pressure test first so if I have a leak I can use a soap solution in a spray bottle to help find the leak. They can pass the vacuum test and fail the pressure test. Have seen seals that would hold a vacuum but blow out on pressure for some reason. So I do both."

Yep. Think of a leaking oil seal as a valve...sometimes just a one way valve. Can hold vac and leak pressure and the other way around. That's why I always test both as well. I use a few methods when testing depending on the saw and any number of variables. (-- spark plug test fitting, intake block w/test fitting, impulse hose direct...). I will typically test a case or shortblock by itself after rebuilding before going any further. I never take anything for granted just because I just installed new parts. Experience taught me that.

The MityVac MV-8500 Silverline is the way to go if you're going to buy a tester. Tests both vacuum and pressure with the flip of a switch/lever.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mityvac mv8500

A solid metal unit with all parts replaceable. Well worth the money the first time it finds a leak that could have otherwise toasted a brand new rebuild, not to mention the time it saves chasing your tail and throwing parts at a project when the problem is a simple leak. A home grown setup will do the job just as well, but you can't beat the convenience of a MityVac.

And Mark is correct (thank you, Mark) in the myth busting of where the piston should be when performing a vac/pressure test. Doesn't matter and it can be proven by simply rotating the flywheel while vac or pressure are being applied...which is good practice anyway to make sure the seals stay tight during a couple of revolutions.

It hasn't arrived yet, but I think I got a good deal in the blue point version of the mityvac mv8500. So now I should be able to vacuum and pressure test saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't find a pic of one but the funnels are copper and there is a very fine copper mesh screen soldered into the bottom. About as fine as the screens in a chainsaw carb.
You're right, just looked more closely at mine and it does have a copper screen under the felt one. It's embossed with Coleman.

My dad had a 55gal barrel of partial bio diesel get algae in the summer time, he let it freeze during the winter, kill the algae then pumped it through a filter and used it, the john deere 70 diesel didn't care at all

Latest posts

Back