McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, just looking for a little confirmation that I got a good deal. Just bought a SP80 and SP81 for $260 total so $130 a piece. From pics, both look decent and claim to both be runners with 24” bar/chains. It’ll be 5 days or so before they would arrive in the big brown truck...

TIA

If they are both running then that is a really good deal in my opinion.

Hey guys, just looking for a little confirmation that I got a good deal. Just bought a SP80 and SP81 for $260 total so $130 a piece. From pics, both look decent and claim to both be runners with 24” bar/chains. It’ll be 5 days or so before they would arrive in the big brown truck...

TIA
That's a hellofa deal. 81's a big/bigger saw. 80-83 cc if I remember.. Probably the 80 too. Anyway it will handle the 24" with no problems.. Thinking of hijacking (can I say that?) the big brown truck

TIA

Great score. Those saws will both pull a 30" bar with no issues.

BTW anyone know anything about the SP60? Were they up to much in their day? Why did Mac use those pathetic thin rings? This one has three rings on the piston
My plan is to sleeve it for the 610 piston as they are available. Having a bear of a time finding cast iron up here. Will keep watching out for some but likely will be cutting the liner out of a 4 stroke cylinder. Just unclear whether or not the liner is long enough?
Steep learning curve for sure but have little to lose at this point. Replacing is NOT going to happen so must diy approach eh!
Cheers

Hi guys I'm thinking about getting a pro mac 55. I'm not sure what year but it has points. I'm looking for a parts saw but can't find any decent pro mac 55 parts saws. Could anybody recommend a another model mcculloch for a parts saw like maybe a 10-10? I'm kinda torn between getting the pro mac 55 or a 10-10 since there is so many 10-10's out there. Thanks, this will be my first old saw/mcculloch.

Hey guys
Quick question for y'all, before I piece back together my 10-10 I painted the cylinder head black due to the factory paint wearing away. Is it ok that i painted the cylinder head black? I'm wondering if it will affect the cooling efficiency. May be a dumb question but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks guys

Scott Sonntag

Hi guys I'm thinking about getting a pro mac 55. I'm not sure what year but it has points. I'm looking for a parts saw but can't find any decent pro mac 55 parts saws. Could anybody recommend a another model mcculloch for a parts saw like maybe a 10-10? I'm kinda torn between getting the pro mac 55 or a 10-10 since there is so many 10-10's out there. Thanks, this will be my first old saw/mcculloch.

Lots of the parts interchange on the 10 series. The PM55 is 57.9 cc and the 10-10's are 54 except for the 10-10S which is also 57.9cc

You can tell the diff in power.

What parts were you concerned about and don't get concerned with points. They are east to work on and once cleaned up and the gap set properly, you will likely never have to go in there again.

Hey guys
Quick question for y'all, before I piece back together my 10-10 I painted the cylinder head black due to the factory paint wearing away. Is it ok that i painted the cylinder head black? I'm wondering if it will affect the cooling efficiency. May be a dumb question but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks guys

Scott Sonntag

I have a couple of 10-10's and a 2-10 with yellow painted cylinders. I can'r see where the color will change much unless it's been applied to thick. There's arguments over which color has the best heat emissivity (hope I spelled that correctly) and the consensus is that black is better but not by enough to make a difference. Glossy paints are not as good as flat paints.
I sure as heck wouldn't worry about it unless you have the fins plugged up.

Thanks fossil, I did end up buying the pro mac 55. Supposedly the points were just cleaned/gapped. Is there any common problems/breakages w/ this saw? parts I should try to get to have on standby?

I have a couple of 10-10's and a 2-10 with yellow painted cylinders. I can'r see where the color will change much unless it's been applied to thick. There's arguments over which color has the best heat emissivity (hope I spelled that correctly) and the consensus is that black is better but not by enough to make a difference. Glossy paints are not as good as flat paints.
I sure as heck wouldn't worry about it unless you have the fins plugged up.
Thanks Tim, the fins are not plugged up. It is a black paint with a hardner mixed in to ensure the paint stays durable. Would you happen to know off hand how hot a cylinder head gets while warmed up and running (assuming it is tuned properly) I could check the cylinder head with a heat gun to see if it is running at normal temperature

Latest posts

Back