McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MACs have so many interchangeable parts that it can be impossible to determine what model it was at manufacture based on its existing state. If you define model by original ignition a two piece electronic ignition would indicate a SP81e. Points could be 80 or 81. Single integrated electronic coil a PM850. Defined by cylinder open transfer SP80. Divided transfer Sp81 or PM850.

Ron

You asked if "the tank is mounted on the carb". I read too fast. The carb is on top of the tank on this tiller.

What do you mean by "the pick-up tube is a pressure fit? I did replace the end (the part with the screen) on the long metal pick-up tube but there is also a shorter plastic tube going into a little 'catch-pan' in the tank too. Unsure what that one actually does. But I didn't have either of them removed from the carb.

Rob
Rob, the fuel is siphoned up the long tube. You replaced the filter. That's cool. But I think the problem lies not with the gasket, but above the tank someplace in the fuel delivery system. Fuel travels up that tube, and the next stop is the needle valve.. Through the metering (needle) valve and into the carburetor throat. The small tube is kinda a new one on me.. Must be a return. The long tube I've seen in plastic and copper.. It is just poked up and in..just thinking maybe got wiggled loose.. It happens. If I think about it tomorrow I'll look a a couple of my carcasses and see what is going on. Been awhile since I've worked on a Briggs.. Without hands on I'm just guessing. I'm afraid I'm not much help.. Just check the obvious and maybe you'll see something. Luck be with ya

Hey, new guy here. I've been lurking and learning. I wanted to post a photo of my new (to me) Pro Mac 60. I had to get the auto oiler working, but after removing a bunch of sawdust, it worked fine.
I cut up a bunch of fir and spruce with it today.

JohnView attachment 653376
That's a neat ol saw.. Plenty o power. My older MACs and Homies get no gas mileage and I'm sure the 80 is no different. But well worth it.. Ran my old 250 today for a while, till my thumb got tired of pumping the oiler..i like to fuel through my saws every once in a while. Don't know if it does any good, but couldn't hurt

I like using my 82 cc McCulloch saws, you get a break more often to refill...

DSC05893.JPG

Keep in mind they did not increase the size of the fuel tank when they made the bigger displacement saws to keep all of the parts interchangeable. What started out as adequate for a 54 cc saw was a bit small for the aggressive 82 cc models.

Mark

I like using my 82 cc McCulloch saws, you get a break more often to refill...

View attachment 653421

Keep in mind they did not increase the size of the fuel tank when they made the bigger displacement saws to keep all of the parts interchangeable. What started out as adequate for a 54 cc saw was a bit small for the aggressive 82 cc models.

Mark
0118161226a.jpg 0118161226a.jpg I hate to be the monkey in the wrench but try feeding this thing. I don't run it very often.. Weighs more than me.

Never did I ever expect to find one of these in my collection. Needs some screws, some may be stripped. The front AV bracket has been repaired. (I guess that's why MAC changed it). The handle grip for the under side of the rear handle is missing. It has spark, lots of compression and the P&C look great through the exhaust port. I went to an auction and only one guy was mildly interested (really, he let me have it as he's a good guy) Thanks Jeff!

DSCF3664.JPG DSCF3665.JPG DSCF3666.JPG DSCF3667.JPG

Never did I ever expect to find one of these in my collection. Needs some screws, some may be stripped. The front AV bracket has been repaired. (I guess that's why MAC changed it). The handle grip for the under side of the rear handle is missing. It has spark, lots of compression and the P&C look great through the exhaust port. I went to an auction and only one guy was mildly interested (really, he let me have it as he's a good guy) Thanks Jeff!

View attachment 653451 View attachment 653452 View attachment 653453 View attachment 653454
That is so cool.. Telling the wife it's 123 CCS of power.. Let the games begin

Tim, what's all the fixing and rivets about.. I don't think my 125 will play the piano again, and I might be able to help.View attachment 653499

I don't know much about MACs and very little about this series. I'm pretty sure someone (maybe Mark?) said that bracket was a weak link on the AV on the CP models and the SP models got a sturdier bracket. Presumably the rivets and strap on mine would make a believer out of me.

I don't know if the SP bracket will fit on mine or not but there seems to be some available on ebay.

I appreciate your offer but you know how that goes. You'd send something and another saw would drop in your lap. Never say never.

I will need to repair the threads on the recoil cover before I do anything.

Tonight I'm in a saw happy place.

Today im no longer a 82cc mac virgin:) its like having a big bore dirt bike on your arms was cutting very very hard blue gum it's been down 5 or 6 years and concrete hard well the 800 just chews through it like pine I am very impressed indeed. Still not sure if ive nailed the tuning or weather im fussy or scared but it 4 strokes no load and isnt screaming so I geuss all is well have been keeping it on the richer side incase anyways. Now just need a bigger bar the 20 is too small 24 would be nice. Whats the opinions on sugi hara on a mac? 20180519_221020.jpg

View attachment 653451 View attachment 653452 View attachment 653453 View attachment 653454

Oh.

Oh My.

Back