McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don’t have another carb the kits came with new needles. you can’t mix the needles up but then again I have seen a lot of things in my day.
Some times too much gas then not enough like a impulse leak or clog.
Might as well drop skirt off and have a look.
View attachment 818590
She looks good inside. She runs like she has retarded timing also.
Anyone have a 10-10 auto flywheel laying around to compare my keyway to.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Not been on here in quite a long time. Haven't lost interest- just been busy with life. Been doing some saw repairs lately and thought I'd check in here. Good to be back and catching up some. Sure like these old Mcculloch saws! See some familiar names still at it here.

Mark- I read mention of a museum or something. Are you doing one? Would enjoy seeing that! Not sure if you remember stopping by but we met once.

Jeff

Has paint fade and some minor mag rot on the blower housing and lower handlebar mount but it should make a decent runner.
I'm assuming it's a 6-10. Need someone better schooled than me to chime in.
@heimannm
ef13181daf12070e23e160e9e7fb765f.jpg
f324fbd044a1741ef711c014681d6fe2.jpg
a863ff56b93acd457a8aec90554a5b49.jpg
7909623b4163460f5472e7b13c3cec25.jpg
41bb4447a5d9afa8a3fb7bebc2765bf5.jpg
7d99b085e8ddc53555f71679146f0854.jpg
5e328ce1e0f70a62a347938168a27fcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I can tell you my 6-10 has a sdc-18 carb on it. But its not exclusive to that saw. It may help though.

Well that's promising!!! Fuel tank leaks like a sieve at the seam lol.

Still not even sure it is a 6-10. It is 70cc, has the pro Mac style tank top, an SDC carb with external adjustments, and no automatic oil pump. First 10 series saw I've seen without an automatic oiler.

Still not even sure it is a 6-10. It is 70cc, has the pro Mac style tank top, an SDC carb with external adjustments, and no automatic oil pump. First 10 series saw I've seen without an automatic oiler.

Aww well someone will hopefully come along with a good idea on what it is. Could be a frankensaw. But doesn't matter a dam its a running 70cc

Aww well someone will hopefully come along with a good idea on what it is. Could be a frankensaw. But doesn't matter a dam its a running 70cc
Very true! I started the year off with no running 70cc Macs, now I'm up to 3. I also have 3 54cc Macs that are runners.
Need to break into the 82cc saws next..... need to find one that is somewhat affordable.

Not been on here in quite a long time. Haven't lost interest- just been busy with life. Been doing some saw repairs lately and thought I'd check in here. Good to be back and catching up some. Sure like these old Mcculloch saws! See some familiar names still at it here.

Mark- I read mention of a museum or something. Are you doing one? Would enjoy seeing that! Not sure if you remember stopping by but we met once.

Jeff

Begin here:
I posted a bit of this in the vintage chainsaw lounge thread, thought I might as well go all out here rather than cluttering up that thread.

I have a very understanding wife, and we have been blessed by God so when I proposed that I needed (wanted) to build a building to display my saws and a better workshop area for mechanical/welding/machine shop so my home garage and workshop could go back to woodworking and home repairs she agreed.

I found a city lot just down the block from my house, the lot is 25 x 140' so my building will be 23 x 118' and include a display area, library/office/kitchen/break room, and my new workshop. There will be a short driveway off the alley to the large overhead door to the shop area.

I put this display out during our "Watermelon Day" celebration in August.

View attachment 674619
View attachment 674620

View attachment 674629
View attachment 674630

Work was started recently.

View attachment 674623

The water line is in place now.

View attachment 674624

Preparing for the footings and frost wall. I will not have any basement or crawl space (very high water table in this small town) but I will have the attic space mostly finished to expand my storage.

View attachment 674625

They have been keeping busy.

View attachment 674626

They even found a sewer line from the previous building so I am now tied in to the city sanitary sewer.

View attachment 674627

To minimize water issues, the building will have tile all around and be tied in to the storm sewer running under the street.

View attachment 674628

The plumbers just got started today, I will have radiant in floor heat throughout the building and air conditioning for the warmer months. The shop end will include a trough drain in front of the drive in door and a separate "mini split" for air conditioning and a touch of heat when the radiant floor heat is not needed.

As noted, the building will be divided into three sections, the main display in the front just off Main Street, a library/kitchen-break room/office space in the middle, and the workshop on the other end adjacent to the alley that runs down the middle of the block. My 3D printer will be located in the office space so I can keep cranking out 10 Series sawdust screens and more recently the "collars" the clamp the wrap handles to the fuel tank on the CP125, SP105/125 saws. I will have some vintage magazines in addition to IPL's, literature, and other documents in the library area. At some point I will put out a request for anyone that has additional items that could be added to the library.

Mark

Ron

Very true! I started the year off with no running 70cc Macs, now I'm up to 3. I also have 3 54cc Macs that are runners.
Need to break into the 82cc saws next..... need to find one that is somewhat affordable.

Is it as simple as bolting in an oil pump to make this thing and auto oiler? I assume I would need an aluminum 3 bolt pump?

No, just looked through the cap. There is an aluminum block where the oil pump would normally be.

Hmmm I know sod all about the non auto saws I thought they had there own case but honestly can't remember it was Mark's comments I'm trying to remember. Unless this is a handy man modified jobbie.

Mark will put us straight when he pops in next. Pull it apart see what ya got?

My 800 was basically manual only for a long time I cut alot of wood with the manual and it's not a big deal. In saying that a few of those big cuts and the 800 was out of gas so the thumb got rested often.

My 850 is even worse it pumps really well at low rpm and runs dry and loses prime when cutting grrrr. So not only is it manual it needs 3 pumps before I'm getting any oil lol. Stupid thing

I am in need of a muffler for a Super Pro 60 model 600037D on the tag. It ran fine a few years ago but was a bit loud and I have other saws to use. For some silly reason I was getting some saws ready to get busy cutting my firewood and this one came out for a test run. With a good muffler this one would clean up pretty good.

Thanks

Anyt
I am in need of a muffler for a Super Pro 60 model 600037D on the tag. It ran fine a few years ago but was a bit loud and I have other saws to use. For some silly reason I was getting some saws ready to get busy cutting my firewood and this one came out for a test run. With a good muffler this one would clean up pretty good.

Thanks
Anything 70cc and smaller will fit that bill. Lots of em out there. A few on ebay for less than 40.00.

Hmmm I know sod all about the non auto saws I thought they had there own case but honestly can't remember it was Mark's comments I'm trying to remember. Unless this is a handy man modified jobbie.

Mark will put us straight when he pops in next. Pull it apart see what ya got?

My 800 was basically manual only for a long time I cut alot of wood with the manual and it's not a big deal. In saying that a few of those big cuts and the 800 was out of gas so the thumb got rested often.

My 850 is even worse it pumps really well at low rpm and runs dry and loses prime when cutting grrrr. So not only is it manual it needs 3 pumps before I'm getting any oil lol. Stupid thing
It definitely does not appear to be a home made job.
The fuel tank gasket swelled up enough from sitting to allow me to make some test cuts tonight so I grabbed a 20" bar off the wall and spun up a loop of full chisel and headed to the wood pile. Sunk her into a 24" red oak log, a couple little tweaks on the screws and she was singing like a Mac should. I'm pretty happy and think I did ok for around $100.
I will have to address the fuel tank gasket and fuel line here in the near future.

I pulled the clutch on the PM700,what a mess,broken spider & broken spindles on the other side where the rim fit on.I never saw anything like it before.
Also,I took a compression test on it & to tell the truth I'm surprised the saw even ran.On 5 pulls it only had 80# & on 10 pulls it only had 115# compression.I called Bob J.& cancelled my parts order for it.As far as I'm concerned the saw is now a parts saw (what few parts are left).Good old Feebay for ya.
Ed
Replace the clutch with one from any 10-10 or 10 series saw. Throw a set of rings in it and clean up the cylinder if needed. No biggie.

She looks good inside. She runs like she has retarded timing also.
Anyone have a 10-10 auto flywheel laying around to compare my keyway to.
View attachment 818611View attachment 818612
I looked on e bay and the flywheel seems correct.
By looking and dismembering this saw it looked like it was never apart.
I thought the pc was good but after getting into her deeper I found this.
Piston is very nice that is why I thought everything was good.
Rings are worn out .078 endgap.
The cylinder has exhaust scoring and no piston damage ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
I took the flywheel off of another SP125C that I have and the metal scraping sound I mentioned a while ago has gone away. This saw came to me with no spark. The previous owner apparently checked point gap and condition and stated both were good. I replaced the coil assembly and tried to test spark again with a fresh plug.. still no spark. Gonna test the condenser tomorrow and hope it’s that.. fingers crossed lol.

Attachments

• E94DD7EB-6BC0-4D98-8C02-A6A908BC8A9E.jpeg
    E94DD7EB-6BC0-4D98-8C02-A6A908BC8A9E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 8D103867-1578-4344-B447-FB02251B3840.jpeg
    8D103867-1578-4344-B447-FB02251B3840.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back