McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came to the conclusion the 125 is cursed. Set to bring misery to whoever tries to get it to run apparently lol..

Fighting me every step of the way. I still have no spark so I was gonna go in and clean the points and double check the gap and now I can’t get the flywheel key out. Had It out last night, reinstalled it and now I’m attacking it with non marring punches and small flat head screwdrivers and it’s non budging. Gonna remain persistent on this thing..

Alright, success but not after the key smacked me directly in the eye.. saw must’ve heard me badmouthing..

Went in, cleaned the points, and checked gap at TDC and it was around .027. I regapped to .019. Is .027 a big enough error to create no spark at all? It should be noted that the points barely looked like they were contacting before I regapped them.

I guess I’m stumped at this point.

- NOS coil assembly /plug wire
- Donor flywheel from a running 125
- Condenser tested good with multi meter
- Points cleaned with file, blown out with air, dry and gapped to .019
- Flywheel coil gapped with business card (never had an issue before with this method)
- Stop wire replaced

- Spark tested with (2) separate plugs
- Spark tested with stop wire disconnected

Had no spark before, still has no spark now. Not even a lick! Gotta be something glaring that I’m missing. Suggestions anyone?

- Flywheel coil gapped with business card (never had an issue before with this method)
- Stop wire replaced

Had no spark before, still has no spark now. Not even a lick! Gotta be something glaring that I’m missing. Suggestions anyone?
For 15$ try a chip it'll a least eliminate the points and condenser from the mix, you can always take it back out when you done. My local saw shops keep the in stock also.

- Stop wire replaced

Spark plug could be bad(even new).
I went through the same thing with my 1-41, even got an nos coil . It was the points, they cleaned up nicely and were gapped correctly but would not fire the saw ,so I put new points in and it fired. I also got a condenser from a mini mac. In retrospect I should have just tried a chip to see what end to work from.

- Stop wire replaced

I've come across a number of bad plug wires on MAC's. Three on my MAC's I think. It could be grounding out or not making a good contact at the coil. You might try changing the wire out if you have a spare. If not, either cover the wire in heat shrink tube or electrical tape.

Do check the screw where the points and condenser hook up to make sure that's not grounding out and make sure the armature (laminations) are grounded.

If that looks good, make sure the points assembly is not grounded.

Failing that, you may have a bad coil. No specs on those 125's but if you can find info on the other older large MAC's or other chainsaw coils and how to test them, the info can lead you in the right direction.

- Stop wire replaced

Agree with the main supervisor, try a chip. I would bet a lot of money that youll have spark with one. And i would also say its the points. I know its been mentioned that i like those chips, and for good reason. They are cheap and simple. No gapping and cleaning and setting. Yes i have saws with them and i have saws without them. Both will run well. I have great luck with chips.

- Stop wire replaced

Try a known good condenser.You can't trust any readings from a muti-meter on a condenser.The condenser can test "good",but it could be leaking severely.I have a capitence tester here & it's basically useless.I send my used condensers to Bob J.& he has a Graham tester that loads up a coil or condenser as if it were on the saw.
Ed

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss. Lol
Thank you, I received rings from a on line seller that said fit 10-10a and they are actually 20 oversize.
and one ring is like a oil ring.
First time I got into one of these girls
I think we have a problem Huston.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I got her running now... I tested spark by pulling the rope before I dug into it and there was definitely none. After all was said and done, I began to test spark using the low speed setting on a impact drill.. but going the wrong way. :omg: Big dumb moment on my part... After a few tests I had the realization and just like that I had spark haha. Kinda weak looking but it was enough to run the big girl. I definitely won't forget that one. Digging into this 125 has been a good learning experience and interesting to see the engineering differences/similarities between it and the 10 series line up.

Thank you, I received rings from a on line seller that said fit 10-10a and they are actually 20 oversize.
and one ring is like a oil ring.
First time I got into one of these girls
I think we have a problem Huston.
As long as the rings are the right width, you can fix that end gap. With a file and patience, take a bit off the end and test. Repeat until the endgap is correct. Dont get in a hurry, you can take off but you cannot add it back on.

Latest posts

Back