McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodslasher

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
. AS Supporting Member.
It's been super busy over here but I finally got around to doing a little saw stuff. Picked up a bar adapter so I could put a good 28" oregon bar on the sp81. Thanks for the suggestion maintenance supervisor! I made a quick alteration to the bar so the oil would feed in properly and the tensioner would fit. I'm curious as to how you fellas do it? I thought about taking a thin cutting wheel into the groove of the rail just above where the oil would normally feed in. So mimicing the function of thr original mcculloch bar. I ended up modifying it to mimic the function of some of the earlier Mac bars though. Should have looked closer because the back plate isn't quite flush with the bar, so I may lose a little oil here and there. It works though and the sp81 is rippin'. An overall good condition saw, everything works great. The Jethro spike adds a touch of class as well! Need to put a proper fuel line and grommet in there though, the 036 line I put in is a little too long and the fuel filter needs a weight on it.
4118c5cd3dda8d12c3515cba04b74c47.jpg
d6c5de587da4d4a33cc5a84c4643548a.jpg
f97e4b64a4674369db8bc5650c0732db.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Link to fuel line: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163364343010
Link to tank grommet: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254470297800?var=554127157124

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ira,I checked the flywheels from top to bottom & all around,inside the saw too & found absolutely nothing.I have poor eyesight too,& this makes me go over things maybe more thoroughly than other guys.Sometimes I don't catch things the first time around,that's why I always go over things more than once & when in doubt I have my son have a look too.I even looked for the end hook that was broke off the recoil spring & didn't find it.When I got the saw the recoil was in pretty sad shape - missing the sawdust guard,missing the bolt that holds the pulley onto the shaft/spindle,recoil rope half torn up,& I just found out it's missing the recoil spring shield.It was also missing one of the screws that holds the front cover on.As I mentioned in one of my posts,the recoil spring could've very well been broken right from the start,if so that would explain why I couldn't find the broken off hook-end of the recoil spring..

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Just to make things weird,both flywheels that were on the DE80 have 12 fins.
That is a sure sign that someone has been into the saw before you. Mark H and I have thought that all 3 flywheels (12 fin, 18 fin and 24 fin) were interchangeable on the newer 82cc saws without issue but the 18 fin requires some component changes to work on the older 82cc saws. I am not sure what Mark based his conclusion, but mine was based upon eyeballing the three side by side (see post quoted below) and a purchase of a frankensaw that had a 24 fin on a DE80. The DE80 didn't run but IIRC the recoil worked fine. Anyway, it sounds to me that something else is amiss with your saw. If you are going to use the saw, I recommend that you find an 18 fin as it was designed to go with the heat from the under-pan muffler.

Okay. The answer is it depends. All three flywheels should fit on the 800 and newer 82cc MACs, but only the 12 and 24 will interchange on the older MACs. This is due to the 18 fin have a much greater fin height. The cranks on the new saws are actually shorter in length to accommodate the increased fin height. I haven't calculated the fin surface area, but if that is what counts I would venture to say the 18 moves as much or more as the 24. If it were my saw I would try to locate an 18.

12 18 24

View attachment 846059
View attachment 846060View attachment 846061

Older crank at the top. Newer crank at the bottom. About 3/8" difference.
View attachment 846062

Ron
Ron

Camperspecial

Camperspecial

ArboristSite Member
73 air filter.
03ED7018-33DE-4247-83A3-E6410B6A6F7B.jpeg
Picked up a pretty nice 73 but it’s missing the complete air filter. Both pieces screw and rod/base. It’s next up after bench is cleared. Does anyone know where I could locate one? Already checked JerkBay.
Im thinking it should be pretty quick project. It has 135 compression and a modified pull handle as you can see. Came with a 4 ft bar and pretty good 1/2 inch chain.
Rob.

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

. AS Supporting Member.
73 air filter.
View attachment 914043
Picked up a pretty nice 73 but it’s missing the complete air filter. Both pieces screw and rod/base. It’s next up after bench is cleared. Does anyone know where I could locate one? Already checked JerkBay.
I'm thinking it should be pretty quick project. It has 135 compression and a modified pull handle as you can see. Came with a 4 ft bar and pretty good 1/2 inch chain.
Rob.
I sold my 73 about a year ago sadly, but @heimannm or @northwest saws might know where you could find a filter.

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That is a sure sign that someone has been into the saw before you. Mark H and I have thought that all 3 flywheels (12 fin, 18 fin and 24 fin) were interchangeable on the newer 82cc saws without issue but the 18 fin requires some component changes to work on the older 82cc saws. I am not sure what Mark based his conclusion, but mine was based upon eyeballing the three side by side (see post quoted below) and a purchase of a frankensaw that had a 24 fin on a DE80. The DE80 didn't run but IIRC the recoil worked fine. Anyway, it sounds to me that something else is amiss with your saw. If you are going to use the saw, I recommend that you find an 18 fin as it was designed to go with the heat from the under-pan muffler.

Ron
I can understand someone being in my saw previously,but highly doubtful.I find it awfully coincidental that the parts saw I got - another DE80,has the same 12 fin flywheel on it.I suppose someone had been into both saws?Again,highly doubtful.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Who knows with the Black & Decker MAC - they could have found a 20 year old stash of the old 12 fins. The torx heads screws are indicative of a late model. I recall Joey purchasing a late production NOS 82cc MAC that seem to me to be made from multiple models.

The alternative, Ed, is your count is off. I have done that - back in 2012, I posted that MAC made two 24 fin flywheels, a tall one and a short one. I must have counted the short one twice as I was wrong; the tall one is 18 and the short one is 24. Anyway, if it runs and is cool I would not lose sleep over it.

Ron

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ron,I think you're onto something with B&D finding a stash of 12 fin flywheels.Like I said,it's awfully funny that both saws I have here have the 12 fin flywheels.
Something else that was brought to my attention was my saw has a DSP (it doesn't work,I can even pull it out of the saw & it makes no difference & the port isn't plugged that I know of),& the parts saw had a plug in it where the DSP should be.I talked with Bob J.about it (he's out of DSPs) & he told me to just put a plug in it.I just left the inoperable DSP in it & I can pull it over without a problem,but it does have a bite to it.I believe the other 82cc saws also did not have DSPs.I was told that the 82cc saws didn't really need a DSP because they have the Q port which makes starting them easier.

Camperspecial

Camperspecial

ArboristSite Member
Picked up a 10-10S for 50 bucks. Runs great and auto oiler is good but manual oiler button is broken.

Does anyone have the button/rod for a ten series saw?
Don't know if they are all the same.
Nothing on $#!)Bay but tons of 610 oiler buttons for some reason.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ron,I think you're onto something with B&D finding a stash of 12 fin flywheels.Like I said,it's awfully funny that both saws I have here have the 12 fin flywheels.
Something else that was brought to my attention was my saw has a DSP (it doesn't work,I can even pull it out of the saw & it makes no difference & the port isn't plugged that I know of),& the parts saw had a plug in it where the DSP should be.I talked with Bob J.about it (he's out of DSPs) & he told me to just put a plug in it.I just left the inoperable DSP in it & I can pull it over without a problem,but it does have a bite to it.I believe the other 82cc saws also did not have DSPs.I was told that the 82cc saws didn't really need a DSP because they have the Q port which makes starting them easier.
The DSP port on the Q port saws is simply a small hole in the center of the threaded boss. The non-DSP Q port saws weren't drilled. If yours is drilled you can poke it open with a small wire. If it isn't drilled, it is no big deal to drill. The DSP valve can be cleaned, or if you are as detail oriented as Brain T., you can polish the plunger and seat with lapping compound.

I would hazard to say that pre-B&D, McCulloch might also have used what was on hand. Before I gave up collecting for the sake of collecting, I acquired two MAC's in a row that were advertised to be SP105s and from outward appearances appeared to be - both measured to be SP125Cs. Who would ever know? And what customer would complain? Possibly they were both only replacement engines, but I found it strange.

Ron

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

. AS Supporting Member.
Picked up a 10-10S for 50 bucks. Runs great and auto oiler is good but manual oiler button is broken.

Lemme check my part stash and I'll let you know.

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

. AS Supporting Member.

I've got one off of what may be a 1-10, is this what you need?
IMG_7332.jpeg

Latest posts