McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm Dan's assessment, that saw is a 1-40. Interesting in that the original models did not have a chain oil tank, bar and chain lubrication was accomplished by "crankcase residue" being directed from the bottom of the crankcase to the bar. McCulloch recommended running a 10:1 mix on those. I have a couple of the conversion packages that replaced the fuel tank cover with a divider and an additional oil tank with manual pump at the front of the saw. The conversion also required drilling a hole through the bar pad to connect the manual pump to the oiler outlet. The final step in the conversion was to remove the valve from the bottom of the saw and plug the hole with a lead ball.

The 1-40 and 1-50 followed closely after the D-30 and D-36 with the center pull starter, that's why they have that cylindrical lump in front of the air box.

If I remember later on I'll post some photos of a saw with the conversion.

Be aware that the earlier 1-4X models did not have needle bearings in the pistons but utilized brass bushings instead. My observations are that more old saws were killed by carbon accumulations that scored the pistons and cylinders as opposed to lubrication failures. East to understand if you are running a 10:1 or 16:1 mix.

For oiler button repair, do what most enterprising saws owners did and just stick a wood screw into the stub so you can push on it. The more creative solution was to carve a new button from a convenient stick of hard wood. Carved oil caps were pretty common as well.

Mark

This is a D-30, predecessor to the 1-40/1-50. Notice no oil tank to be seen.

DSC02676.JPG

This fuel tank cover has the bosses for the oil cap and the manual pump but was used on a later saw with the oil tank up top like all the front tank saws.

McCulloch 1-4X 1.JPG

1-40 on the left with the oil tank and manual pump up front. The D-30 on the right relies on the "Lubri-Mac" system to scavenge crankcase residue and direct it to the bar to lubricate the chain.

McCulloch D-30 and 1-40 002.jpg

Under the screw is a small spring and a disc type check valve that controls the flow of the "residue" from the crankcase to the bar pad.

DSC02649.JPG

Mark

Thanks Mark, for the deep-dive into the 1-40.
I’m not the guy that needs to have one-of-each. (Not yet anyways). I think I’ve found One I can pass on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the fuel filter gasket from my 4-30.
It runs but it's rich and seems like it's running out of gas at the same time.
It has clear fuel lines and you can visibly see bubbles on both hoses running to and from the filter housing.
At the very least this gasket is allowing fuel to pass through unfiltered.
I don't think i can home-make one because of the channel that runs around most of it.
Any thoughts?

Mark, do remember these symptoms from GTG?

jEHLfu8HSw6fhpWjPh0%lQ.jpgrBBpTS79Qj2QSqAWAiHwBg.jpg

Ed - D-30, D-36, 1-40, 1-50 all had the Lubri-Mac system in their original form. Some were converted to the front oil tank/manual oiler button "in the field" and I believe some were modified at the factory.

Rob - did you try running that fuel filter through an ultrasonic cleaner for several cycles? If you don't have access to an ultrasonic you can try dousing it liberally with carburetor cleaner and blowing it out with compressed air. The fuel pump diaphragm and gaskets are frequently available on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313176481815?epid=1024977685&hash=item48eac5e017:g:tA4AAOSwlRpfLpQd
I have a spare valve for the fuel pump if you need one.

Mark

I know heimannm has a lot of McCulloch Chain Saws, as well as myself, I was wondering if anybody else has a few McCullochs in their collection of Chain Saws, and are they for work, or for display. Thanks for your input. Bruce.
Your timing couldn't be more appropriate, I just joined this forum to ask questions about a recent acquisition of a McCullach 12-25A. I complained to an old friend a few days ago that the Homelite power head I had hoped to use on an old chainsaw mill had a bad accident and won't be working anytime soon. My friend took me out to his shop and sent me home with these gems, the saw and mill! I have absolutely no information on either as yet and hope to get them running again.Left Side 12-25A Reduced.jpgChainsaw Mill Reduced.jpg

Rob - did you try running that fuel filter through an ultrasonic cleaner for several cycles? If you don't have access to an ultrasonic you can try dousing it liberally with carburetor cleaner and blowing it out with compressed air. The fuel pump diaphragm and gaskets are frequently available on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313176481815?epid=1024977685&hash=item48eac5e017:g:tA4AAOSwlRpfLpQdI have a spare valve for the fuel pump if you need one.

Mark
I cleaned the filter well with carb cleaner and air. Looks pretty good now.
The tear in the fuel filter gastket (part# 19842)is going to be a problem I think though.
I'll take it apart the rest of the way and try to decide if some flat gasket material will work.
it's got a channel around most of it, I'll try to figure out what's up with that. There are two of them in there..

I'll let you know about the pump valve. Thanks.
Rob

Your timing couldn't be more appropriate, I just joined this forum to ask questions about a recent acquisition of a McCullach 12-25A. I complained to an old friend a few days ago that the Homelite power head I had hoped to use on an old chainsaw mill had a bad accident and won't be working anytime soon. My friend took me out to his shop and sent me home with these gems, the saw and mill! I have absolutely no information on either as yet and hope to get them running again.View attachment 914671View attachment 914672
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...16e54de48e431c2788256afb0019db69?OpenDocument

I sold my 73 about a year ago sadly, but @heimannm or @northwest saws might know where you could find a filter.
Not sure if Mark was able to hook you up but I believe I do have an extra filter for the model 73. I'm doing a complete restoration and overhaul on mine but unfortunately the piston is 100% junk. I've managed to get all the bearings and seals I need plus many other crucial parts but locating a suitable piston or replacement option has been beyond difficult.
5dabeb30b27190736d8ef6eedeb8790a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Not sure if Mark was able to hook you up but I believe I do have an extra filter for the model 73. I'm doing a complete restoration and overhaul on mine but unfortunately the piston is 100% junk. I've managed to get all the bearings and seals I need plus many other crucial parts but locating a suitable piston or replacement option has been beyond difficult.
That would be great but not if it means giving up on the saw.
I have a good friend up here that builds 2 stroke race bikes. There are pistons available to him in pretty much any size.
If you send me the factory dimensions of the piston and an actual measurement of your cylinder, I'll ask him what he thinks.
If he thinks he may have some luck we can get better measurements.
Some of the aftermarket companies, like Meteor, actually make pistons for bikes but happen to market a few for chainsaws.

I had to put the SP125 on hold for a couple weeks due to finding a tear in the boot.I ordered 2 boots that were supposed to be used,they looked & smelled brand new to me when I got them today.Installing that boot was a real treat (sarcasm),but I finally got 'er done.Now I need to locate the rest of the hardware - recoil screws,front handle screws.The crap they sell in the hardwarte stores nowadays is real garbage.I might have to get the hardware from Bob.I'll look around the workshop tomorrow to see what I can find.It's getting there.

Well it took a while,I ran into one problem after the other today,all minor things,but time consuming.I'm happy to say though that I heard the SP125 run today for the first time! After I got the essentials taken care of I put some fuel in it (I've got a new fuel line coming from Bob),I gave it one pull & it fired,pushed the choke off & it fired right up! It tyhrottled up & idled nicely for the few seconds I ran it.Then I went & got the rest of the saw parts - clutch cover,air filter & cover,bar & chain & put it all together.I'd dare to say there's no tree that's safe from me now,Lol.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14
Well it took a while,I ran into one problem after the other today,all minor things,but time consuming.I'm happy to say though that I heard the SP125 run today for the first time! After I got the essentials taken care of I put some fuel in it (I've got a new fuel line coming from Bob),I gave it one pull & it fired,pushed the choke off & it fired right up! It tyhrottled up & idled nicely for the few seconds I ran it.Then I went & got the rest of the saw parts - clutch cover,air filter & cover,bar & chain & put it all together.I'd dare to say there's no tree that's safe from me now,Lol.
Theres just something about a big loud powerful saw. Well done!

Back