McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the information in the previous replies.
Alright so, that large mystery mac has had a presence in the back of my mind for several days. Even though I'm skeptical of it because of its outward condition, I've had a strong gut feeling that it was a deal I should be pursuing. So I did.

It turned out to be a somewhat fruitful opportunity, because the guy had more saws that he was getting rid of. In total, I came home with four macs for $160.
Here's the breakdown of what I know from giving things a quick 10 minute look over since I got home.

Big saw: In better condition externally than I thought it would be, although there's a chunk of material missing near the air filter. Appears to have the numbers 1-71 811 on the bottom. There's also "81" that were X'd out. Turning over the engine by hand does not inspire confidence, compression feels weak. Came with an Oregon 28" hardnose bar that is in really good shape beyond the surface rust.

10 series mac?: Haven't messed with it yet, serious mag rot happening on the bottom, everything else external seems decent. Model 60005.

Mac 300: In surprisingly good shape. Compression feels good and it starts on a prime. Came with a nice bar.

Partial Mac 33?: I think it's a model 33? Something funky happening with the coil and flywheel, it's like they're somewhat wedged together. Also came with a nice bar.

I have to admit, I'm not feeling so confident about this deal. I really wanted the big mac to be a runner, but the weak feeling compression doesn't inspire confidence. How do you remove the muffler off that saw? I need to get in and look at the piston and cylinder.
At the very least, I figure if nothing else I could keep the nice 300 and maybe make some of my money back selling the rest as parts saws if their engines turn out to be junk.
What do you guys think? Good or bad deal?
Some pics
View attachment 948633
View attachment 948632
View attachment 948634
View attachment 948631
View attachment 948635
I'm no mac expert but sounds like a good deal. That one bar looks like it's 28"

Good news today & even gooder news.I was able to save another RH recoil from the trash.It needed a new recoil spring & a new drum,also needed a new handle.I was able to put another retainer ring in to hold everything in.All I need to do now is put in a bar/chain adjuster,waiting on those from Bob J.Not the prettiest looking recoil by any means,but it works again.

I got the much awaited PM310 from Mark today,along with a few other goodies.As soon as I finish here I'll get at putting a bar & chain on it that I hunted up yesterday.Can't wait to fire it up! Thanks Mark!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 7
Yea I seen frawleys/loggerchain.net. I bought a few bars and chains from then off ebay, a guy is selling chain on ebay, mac square ground chain but it's 55$ a loop. Thanks edju1958. I have seen Bob j in alot of posts but am not sure how to contact him.

Another option. He may spin up exactly what you're looking for if you contact him directly. I've dealt with him before and he was very helpful and responsive.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184251894274
That's the guy! He said he would spin me up a couple loops. Just trying to justify 100$ for the 2 chains lol. Thank you for your time researching and helping me out!

Heimannm? It would be an honor to get something from him. That guy is the master of macs!
Yeah,Mark is a great guy.We did some parts swapping back & forth & he worked on a PM310 for me.He's a very busy man,but he'll find the time.

Also,if you need to contact Bob J.you'll need to do so by phone - 607-638-9297.

As I mentioned earlier,I got the PM310 from Mark today.I had 2 different size bars,one was a 16 in.& the other was a 14 in.I'd hunted those up yesterday.Trying to find the correct length chain was another story.I found the 1st chain,but it must've been an 18 in.,way too long.Then the next 2 I found were too short by about a link.I finally had tyo put a 14 in.bar on it.The 1st chain I picked out was an N1.Come to find out it's a Carlton & the correct chain.While waiting for burgers to cook on the grill I fueled up the saw & gave it a few pulls.It fired right up,but the choke seemed to hang up.Mark told me about that & when I got the saw unpacked I looked at it.It doesn't hang up when the air filter cover is off,but when the cover's on is when it acts up.I'll see about sweapping over a different air filter bracket tomorrow.

While I think of it,how many drivers should the 16 in.bar require?

Latest posts

Back