McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was top losing bid, tried to up it at the last second but missed it as well. That was a sweet looking saw and would have helped fill out another empty spot in my collection.

Mark

I didn't even see that one. It looks almost as good as my CP70. ;)

As great as the SP125 is it will not out cut a 3120 in many ways. Husqvarna just turns up a little more rpms. As for durability and running a long bar I thing the sp125 wins in this category. Excellent built saw the 125 is.

The modern saws are fantastic. What they can do is remarkable, but up to a point. The Husky 3120 and Stihl 880 turn rpms, but when it comes to torque and the ability to pull the 48" plus bar, the old monsters shine. 123cc Macs, Homey 750, Stihl 090 shine beyone 48" bar. Same for the old-school gear drives.

Im not sure what pitch Stinkbait is running, but here are some comparison vids, I know they dont start at the same time.
The 125 just has more of a cool factor to me.
My 3120 was running a 36" .404
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jS-LlyUWrFc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jS-LlyUWrFc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZZ4nDRg2bI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZZ4nDRg2bI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I was top losing bid, tried to up it at the last second but missed it as well. That was a sweet looking saw and would have helped fill out another empty spot in my collection.

Mark

Sorry you didn't get it. At least I didn't run the price up on you. I forgot about the saw and got to it with less than one minute left. I thought it could be a useful replacement saw for my PM700 as one tank of gas in the 700 without AV is all my left hand can take. Ron

Im not sure what pitch Stinkbait is running, but here are some comparison vids, I know they dont start at the same time.
The 125 just has more of a cool factor to me.
My 3120 was running a 36" .404
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jS-LlyUWrFc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jS-LlyUWrFc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZZ4nDRg2bI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZZ4nDRg2bI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I may be biased but I think the 125 was just a little faster at the bottom of the cut.
Nice vids.

As great as the SP125 is it will not out cut a 3120 in many ways. Husqvarna just turns up a little more rpms. As for durability and running a long bar I thing the sp125 wins in this category. Excellent built saw the 125 is.

Well, they're both the same displacement (roughly).......and the 3120 is a 25 year or so newer design. I'd hope they'd make some progress over that timeframe. Yes a 3120 would probably outcut an SP125 by a bit when they're wearing 20" bars and racing through a little log..................but I'd put my money on the SP125 if they're both wearing 54" bars and are burried in oak. That's what a 123cc saws is intended for methinks. Also, several fellows have modified 125's over the years to cut a tad bit faster. I can think of one bloke in Australia who has whipped many modified 3120's with his modified 125's...:D

Hard to say from those vids which is faster, but it's quite telling which one the muffs and chaps came out for!!!

McCullough 660 saw 30" bar

There is one for sale near me and they are asking $150 for it and says it runs good.

Is this price about right? I am interest in getting a large bar saw but nervous about getting parts for this saw when the time comes.

Any input would be great.

Gentlemen:
Mr. PIONEERFAN has taken a completely dead Mac model 47 and resurected it to the point that it Starts And Cuts with fuel drawn from the tank on its' own. Those of you who have tried this know what kind of feat this is. I take my hat off to him. His reward for this was a complete,(although equally Dead) 7-55 Mac. When it runs and cuts, I'm gonna declare him an Official McCulloch Mechanic. At this point all opinions are welcome..........................but please, he deserves all the encouragement we can give him.
Igpoe:cheers:

Aww, shucks guys,lol. Don't commend me to much, a get "swell headed" to easily.
The 47 was a challenge, a BIG challenge, took me a week or so just to figure out how the blasted thing was supposed to work. Once I figured that out, it was just a matter of getting the correct material, trail and error, and resisting the urge to launch it across the yard. The last one was especially true Friday night, before i went down to Igpoe's. I know i tried for over an hour to get it started. It just taunted me, " haha you know i ran, now figure out why i won't". Never did figure out why it would not start that night, lol

McCullough 660 saw 30" bar

There is one for sale near me and they are asking $150 for it and says it runs good.

Is this price about right? I am interest in getting a large bar saw but nervous about getting parts for this saw when the time comes.

Any input would be great.

If the piston and cylinder are in good shape (remove the muffler cover and check through the exhaust ports) and it does indeed run (not "it ran last time I put it away 25 years ago) then that's a fair price for it with a 30" bar and chain. That saw will pull a lot more bar too. Cool 87cc saw with a compact gear drive case. If the P/C are in good shape but the carb or ignition is in need of help, then it's still worth at least $100. If it was local to me, I'd be calling the guy...:cheers:

Well I road triped over to the town 10 miles away from home and here is what I brought home.

The 660 started right up and reved good and is extremely loud. These vintage/classic saws are new to me. He was asking $150 for the 660 and I got him to throw in the homelite (was asking $50 for it) Said the Homelite is a 3100. I do nto see anything on the case that shows that. The Homelite does not run but has spark. I noticed the plate on the back side of the bar is cracked. I have only just looked them over lightly at this point. The price seemed worth the gamble.

chainsaw002.jpg

chainsaw003.jpg

chainsaw001.jpg

chainsaw006.jpg

chainsaw005-1.jpg

chainsaw004.jpg

The guy said the 660 he bought off a farmer that claimed he only cut three trees down with it and he has only used it a couple of times. It looks to have the origianl chain and bar on it. Chain looks hardly worn at all. The Homelite he said he used when he was a teenager and he is 50 now and it was old back then. Not sure what it will take to get it running.

I could not pass this up so I thought:glasses-nerdy:

Well I road triped over to the town 10 miles away from home and here is what I brought home.

The 660 started right up and reved good and is extremely loud. These vintage/classic saws are new to me. He was asking $150 for the 660 and I got him to throw in the homelite (was asking $50 for it) Said the Homelite is a 3100. I do nto see anything on the case that shows that. The Homelite does not run but has spark. I noticed the plate on the back side of the bar is cracked. I have only just looked them over lightly at this point. The price seemed worth the gamble.

The guy said the 660 he bought off a farmer that claimed he only cut three trees down with it and he has only used it a couple of times. It looks to have the origianl chain and bar on it. Chain looks hardly worn at all. The Homelite he said he used when he was a teenager and he is 50 now and it was old back then. Not sure what it will take to get it running.

I could not pass this up so I thought:glasses-nerdy:

Fantastic score. The 660 looks magnificent. Only missing the rubber plug cover (which you should replace so the saw cools propperly). That Homelite is a 3100G. PM Sent a few minutes ago...:cheers:

Fantastic score. The 660 looks magnificent. Only missing the rubber plug cover (which you should replace so the saw cools propperly). That Homelite is a 3100G. PM Sent a few minutes ago...:cheers:

Ha I would have offered him 50 for the 3100, sounds like you beat me to it. Great find, you did well on the pair.

If any of you guys know where I can find a McCulloch Pro Mac 1000 clutch cover, bar plates and air filter, please drop me a P.M.

Thanks,

Jerry

Back