McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E-bay purchase, didn't go too high. Advertised as an SP80, certainly the lable says SP80 and it does have a few details that lead me to believe it is/was an SP80 such as the style/design of the fuel cap, roller fairlead on the starter, the muffler is right, it has the spring on the boot rather than the ground wire on the front anti-vibe mount.

The clutch is a typical 10/600 Series two shoe affair and the regulation three shoe SP80 clutch does not fit the crankshaft. I don't know if that means this one has been rebuilt using other parts or if some SP80's came from the factory with the other crankshaft.

This one arrived with a broken rear handle (happened in shipping). I contacted the seller and we agreed to a small refund amount. I haven't seen the refund appear in my PayPal yet so we shall see...

attachment.php

I did not bother taking a bunch of photos during the process but it was pretty straight forward tearing it down, cleaning it up, and getting it back together. Just a few small items here and there were needed to make it quite servicable again.

I was pleased and surprised at the condition of the piston and cylinder. I measured the bore and the piston and they were in remarkably good condition. In fact, within my capability to measure, they were like new according the McCulloch piston/ring/cylinder list I have. Since I had a set of rings on hand I went ahead and put the new rings in. I used a brace (bottom/rear handle piece) from another project I have underway so now I will have to substitute the one Ron has so graciously offered on that saw.

Anti-vibe parts were in great condition, boot was very good, I did replace the impulse line and the metering diaphragm and gasket in the carburetor and the fuel line. Oh yeah, the coil was loose on the laminations. Looked like the retainer clip was broken allowing the coil to flow around and drag on flywheel. For this project I decided to use a coil I worked on a few week ago with Ray and Moody were here with a new spark plug wire attached. I had to adjust the length of the spark plug wire and repair the ground lead but in the end using the original points and condenser I had a nice hot spark. It came with a 20" McCulloch bar like you'd find on a 600 saw but I've never seen any bar as badly chipped as this one so I added a 24" sprocket nose (Echo) bar I had on hand. I think that one actually came out the the big box!

Got it all together in the afternoon and surprise, surprise, it starts, idles, accelerates, oils, even the stop swith works! All in all a very fun project. You will notice in the photos that the original black parts have been repainted rather sloppily with a grey that is reminescent of the PM4200/8200 color scheme. I will leave it as is for now but this one might just get a full restoration as some point in the future. Sure wish the crankshaft was original, I would like to have one SP80 with the three shoe clutch in it.

Mark

That auction got a bit too rich for me, Mark.

Very nice job on the saw!

$10 deal at Habitat for Humanity store. Think I got taken?

If you think so, you can send it here .... :)

Nice find! You'll like it!

If you think so, you can send it here ....#Nice find! You'll like it!

Saw runs great. Had to clean the Carb a bit, but all in all, pretty nice little saw. Only my third Mac. The yellow seems to be growin on me...

That short clutch cover with a brake is easily worth twice much that by itself. Judging from the paint that saw does not look to have been run very much, you should be well pleased.

I have found on a few of the old McCullochs that the rings seem to get tired even when the saws don't run much so don't be surprised if you have to install new rings to make it snappy like new again.

You will no doubt find a lot more reasons to run the 10-10 than any 600 Series saw you might happen to have.

Mark

So my CAD has gotten a little worse since I joined AS. I have picked up a few more saws. I will attempt to post pics as I work on them.
I am currently working on a SP 125. All seems to be well with it except it is missing a few small parts. The air filter, and the mount off the back of the carb for the AF cover. My biggest question is how do I clean the hardened gunk off? My solvent tank won't take it off.
View attachment 263960

So my CAD has gotten a little worse since I joined AS. I have picked up a few more saws. I will attempt to post pics as I work on them.
I am currently working on a SP 125. All seems to be well with it except it is missing a few small parts. The air filter, and the mount off the back of the carb for the AF cover. My biggest question is how do I clean the hardened gunk off? My solvent tank won't take it off.

Wow, that is some serious gunk. You could try what some here refer to as 'Lynch's Lotion' --> Two parts kersosene, 1 part ATF. It usually works well, but sometimes needs a bit of time. I sometimes use a shot of carb cleaner, but don't like it as it sometimes takes paint, too.

View attachment 263960

I use Super Clean by Castrol. It works great if used straight. Don't get it on your skin though, it will dry it bad enough to peel the next day. The "purple power" is a joke compared to Castrol. I don't suggest the knock off junk.

Try some Purple Power or Simple Green, you will be surprised how effective they are on stuff like that.

I don't know about Simple Green, but Purple Power will dull the paint. You might have to give it a little polish with some oily rags when it's clean to restore the sheen.

Mark

That's funny that we posted at the same time but opposing opinions.

That short clutch cover with a brake is easily worth twice much that by itself. Judging from the paint that saw does not look to have been run very much, you should be well pleased.

I have found on a few of the old McCullochs that the rings seem to get tired even when the saws don't run much so don't be surprised if you have to install new rings to make it snappy like new again.

You will no doubt find a lot more reasons to run the 10-10 than any 600 Series saw you might happen to have.

Mark

Hi Mark. The saw showed about 145-150 lbs of compression. No scoring on the piston that I could see through the intake. Just HAD to cut a little wood with it...

I have tried the simple green it does work but it is quite slow. I will give the kero/ATF a try. If all else fail I will use the simple green. I need to remove the tank and plug all openings before I get to carried away. As for the AF I can get one off of eBay. But I my have to fab the mount for the AF cover.
Thanks
Bill

I have tried the simple green it does work but it is quite slow. I will give the kero/ATF a try. If all else fail I will use the simple green. I need to remove the tank and plug all openings before I get to carried away. As for the AF I can get one off of eBay. But I my have to fab the mount for the AF cover.
Thanks
Bill

Search back in this thread for Bob Johnson's number for parts you may require. You may find his pricing favorable as compared to eBay.

I also use hot water. I installed a second spigot next to the cold water spigot on the back of my house. Now I can have cold, hot, or a mixture through my water hose. The hot water really helps to use it first.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will search for that number. Also thanks for the pic of the mount. I didn't figure it would look like that. Spaced away. I figured it would have a hole in it.

MiniMacMan. break out the pressure washer :p
Ive used a torch to burn stuff out of the tanks before. Not the best idea probably. But it worked. Do not used on a sealed tank... Especially with any flammable residue left.

I just can't bring myself to use a pressure washer. Lol And the tank is decently clean inside I put spray can carb and choke cleaner in it and let it sit for a half hour and it cleaned great.

Back