McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of the Tillotson 166B

I'll post some pics up later of the Tilly. The 380 is 87cc. The flatback on this one uses a primer. I posted a pic earlier of the wierd idle control device attached to it (ia kinkage).

DSCF7474_zpsbd1ccd3f.jpg
Tilly166B_zpsbbdbb388.jpg

I visted a customer plant in north central IN today, one of the guys there has been promising for about a year to find a kart engine for me.

As I was getting ready to leave he called me back upstairs for a minute...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I have yet another project in the waiting.

Mark

Sweet score Mark. :rock:
Now, You sure you know what to
do with that big ole bad boy. :msp_biggrin:

Lee

Looks like the choke is on the wrong side.
I agree with Aaron, The HL63 is a direct bolt
on. You just need the spacer. I have a spacer
if you want it. I just don't have any spare HL63's.
I used all the ones i had. The good is there easy
to find.

Lee

I'll have a good look at the carb and maybe send you a pic later on to see if the impulse holes line up with the adaptor. I fugured I could make a linkage to cross over and use the primer button hole to go through with the choke rod. The throttle has pick ups on both sides. My major concern was whether or not the carb was large enough.

Thanks for the offer of the adaptor. I will keep my eye out for an HL63 as well.
I have a few saws on the go and I would like to get them off the bench before I start on the 380.

Thnaks

Tim

The 166 is on an 08 Stihl concrete saw. Is the adaptor required so the carb will bolt up?

The front tank Macs require the cast adapter both to space the carb to the proper location (mostly for AF stud placement) and to mate the impulse passages. The front tank saw manifold flange has the impulse passage in a location that doesn't match the HL impulse passage. Flatback carb equipped front tank Macs don't require the adapter. Top tank Macs didn't use the adapter with either carb.

I'm filling a box of stuff for you, lots of misc parts, maybe a few partly stripped parts saws. I found the driveside cover for that 3400.
Still have a good shot at getting that first full week in Feb. off.

Sounds great Randy. I look forward to meeting up and BS'ing over some brown liquor again. Hopefully Fraser and Bob will join us as well. My time off schedule for that time period is still up in the air. I'll at least have the weekend. Hopefully I can get a few days to make a long weekend.

I'll have a good look at the carb and maybe send you a pic later on to see if the impulse holes line up with the adaptor. I fugured I could make a linkage to cross over and use the primer button hole to go through with the choke rod. The throttle has pick ups on both sides. My major concern was whether or not the carb was large enough.

Thanks for the offer of the adaptor. I will keep my eye out for an HL63 as well.
I have a few saws on the go and I would like to get them off the bench before I start on the 380.

Thnaks

Tim

If you have time, pop the 166 off and check center to center on the mounting bolts vs. the flatback and measure the throttle bore. That'll tell you whether it'll fit at all and what performance you may expect. The easiest thing, though is to find a HL63, or in a pinch a 19 and different throttle shaft linkage parts.

If you have time, pop the 166 off and check center to center on the mounting bolts vs. the flatback and measure the throttle bore. That'll tell you whether it'll fit at all and what performance you may expect. The easiest thing, though is to find a HL63, or in a pinch a 19 and different throttle shaft linkage parts.

Will do. I know the 166 has a 5/8 venturi which is likely smaller than the HL63 but i can't find specs on the HL 63

..........and (to Tim) if the 'only' HL you can find is an HL19 I'll trade you an HL63 for it. I need an HL19 for my 795 based Target cutoff saw which currently has a choke type flatback.

Will do. I know the 166 has a 5/8 venturi which is likely smaller than the HL63 but i can't find specs on the HL 63

The venturi diameter for the HL63 is .687". Throttle bore is .812". Same measurements for the HL19, HL103, and most other chainsaw HL's (and the flatbacks that Mac put on these saws). Some chainsaw HL's (such as the HL272A) have larger bores.

Slow slow postal service

ONLY TAKEN 4 FOUR LONG YEARS TO ARRIVE FROM CIRCUMNAVIGATING THE GLODE A LEAST A DOZEN TIMES a package of old servicing film from McCulloch in the early sixties arrived this morning after i purchased it from a woman in Sydney who being a teacher must have not been able to read and addressed it to America to my importer in LA in 2008.

The package also had a 33 1/3 rpm record it it along with 3 rolls of film as a slide show presentation so i must get it all into digtal format for preseavation

Rolls contain .... The old grey mare ...... The story behind the spark .... Power package.

McBob.

ok . i measured the bore on this no # saw and came up with 2.268. the new to me 795 is 2.217 and a stripped 890 i have witch has a beautiful p&c. is2.222. also the 795 and890 have 2 bridges on exaust and the no # has i bridge . so more questions.

ONLY TAKEN 4 FOUR LONG YEARS TO ARRIVE FROM CIRCUMNAVIGATING THE GLODE A LEAST A DOZEN TIMES a package of old servicing film from McCulloch in the early sixties arrived this morning after i purchased it from a woman in Sydney who being a teacher must have not been able to read and addressed it to America to my importer in LA in 2008.

The package also had a 33 1/3 rpm record it it along with 3 rolls of film as a slide show presentation so i must get it all into digtal format for preseavation

Rolls contain .... The old grey mare ...... The story behind the spark .... Power package.

McBob.

Better late then never........right?:D

Fraser your mystery saw sounds like it is indeed a Super 797. The 890 could use a .010 overbore and matching .010 over piston and rings.

Aarron , i had the 890 and the 795 switched. the 795 i think was all ready rebuilt . the piston has no wear and the cyl has crosshatching still on it. the measurements are a little give or take. the 797 will need besides lotts of parts it will need a fresh piston and rings. now to find parts and what interchanges with them. thank you for the info. i'm thinkin on the 9th through the 13th or 14th.

You think you could be off 12 thou Fraser. The 2.268 could
very well be a Super 797. Lucky Dog. Been lookin fur one of
thems fur years. :msp_biggrin:
Lots of parts from the 795, 895 will interchange. Parts that
won't are the basic motor. Block, crank, piston assembly and
carb assembly. Everything else can be found. If your block needs
to be bored i have a machine shop 45 minutes from me that has
done a few for me.

Lee

Latest posts

Back